Author Topic: north dakota st wins again  (Read 11176 times)

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
north dakota st wins again
« on: January 11, 2020, 03:11:04 PM »
YSU is light years away from the level of North Dakota State and James Madison especially in the trenches and at quarterback.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: north dakota st wins again
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 04:08:20 PM »
Montgomery craps the bed again in a big game. Imagine that....

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 05:11:24 PM »

On the flip side you can make a case that he helped get them to the big game.

One team winning so often is great for that team but terrible for the division. Boring and no one cares.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 06:23:23 PM »

On the flip side you can make a case that he helped get them to the big game.

One team winning so often is great for that team but terrible for the division. Boring and no one cares.

It’s boring but it’s good for our conference, I rooted for the Bison today.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 10:43:16 AM »
I am NOT hand never was a big Montgomery guy, but NDSU won because they were better than JMU, not Monty's coaching.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 02:02:28 PM »
The Missouri Valley is and has been the best FCS football conference for many years; North Dakota St. has solid coaching and makes few mistakes, they are a strong and formidable team. They remind me of the !990's teams of YSU under Tressel. Will YSU ever again regain its national prominence? I would love to see YSU regain their competitive spirit and vying for a national championship. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 02:50:24 PM »
Let's call a spade a spade, the best FCS conference is the one with NDSU in it.  You pick any of the best 8 conferences in FCS football, put NDSU in the conference and the conference will be #1.  The average, again the AVERAGE non-NDSU MVFC team has a conference record 4 games UNDER .500 in conference play for the last 5 years.  That is because NDSU wins so many MVFC games!  They are great the rest are so-so most of the time.  Occasionally somebody gets hot, but overall it's NDSU and everybody else looking for a playoff birth and 1 or 2 and out.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 07:52:30 PM »
Let's call a spade a spade, the best FCS conference is the one with NDSU in it.  You pick any of the best 8 conferences in FCS football, put NDSU in the conference and the conference will be #1.  The average, again the AVERAGE non-NDSU MVFC team has a conference record 4 games UNDER .500 in conference play for the last 5 years.  That is because NDSU wins so many MVFC games!  They are great the rest are so-so most of the time.  Occasionally somebody gets hot, but overall it's NDSU and everybody else looking for a playoff birth and 1 or 2 and out.

Thinking that you are a little generous saying they would make 8 conferences the best. Maybe 3-4 conferences that may be close, but remember if ndsu is in any of those conferences most if not every other team in the league would have 1 more loss and every other team in our league may not.

I hate the league we are in but I do think that 2-4 are better then 2-4 in any other league overall.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 09:54:15 PM »
Currently, NDSU and James Madison stand above every other FCS program.  It is not even close.  But the top tier of the MVFC is vastly superior to any other FCS conference.  That was demonstrated again this year when the three other MVFC playoff teams lost only to NDSU, James Madison, or to each other. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 07:59:34 AM »
I don't think you can place this all on the JMU offense. The Dukes D could not contain NDSU's Lance at all. Then NDSU practically went into the JMU huddle and told them it was going to be a fake field goal & they still could not stop it. However that horrid red-zone offense for half the game was all on the JMU offense. The Dukes INT was the difference. That was a chance at OT. They just had no run game, even with that great front line.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 10:11:57 AM »
Just finished watching the tape of the game.  Both teams impressive compared to us at this point.  The QB at North Dakota State was the difference in my opinion.  NDSU defense is not that physically impressive, but they sure are in the right place all the time.  We need upgrades in many areas to compete with them.  I am glad to see our recruiting expand beyond our area much more than the past few years.  Local talent is fine, but it must be up to FCS level to be recruited by us.

On another note the attendance was listed as about 17,000.  Capacity is listed as 20,500.  The place sure looked full to over full to me.  Not sure what is up.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 04:37:46 PM »

Thinking that you are a little generous saying they would make 8 conferences the best. Maybe 3-4 conferences that may be close, but remember if ndsu is in any of those conferences most if not every other team in the league would have 1 more loss and every other team in our league may not.

I hate the league we are in but I do think that 2-4 are better then 2-4 in any other league overall.
Nope, I'll stand by my 8 but one of those is the Ivy League and that maybe you can throw out on principal, but the other 7 stand IMO although I'm not going to go very strong to support the Big South.
Missouri Valley Football Conference
Big Sky Conference
CAA Football
Southern Conference
Southland
Ohio Valley Conference (where YSU should be now!)
Ivy League
Big South Conference.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 09:17:55 PM »

Nope, I'll stand by my 8 but one of those is the Ivy League and that maybe you can throw out on principal, but the other 7 stand IMO although I'm not going to go very strong to support the Big South.
Missouri Valley Football Conference
Big Sky Conference
CAA Football
Southern Conference
Southland
Ohio Valley Conference (where YSU should be now!)
Ivy League
Big South Conference.

I'm not seeing it with OVC,Southern, Southland or Big South, but that is just my opinion.

I agree we should be in the OVC if not the CAA.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 10:16:33 AM »
Watch out for the Southland. New quality teams that already compete at the post-season level. They are going to be tough. Final right in their territory. IMO, the conference with the most potential in all sports, with football no exception. Most of the overall growth will come in women's sports of course.