Author Topic: SeMO at YSU  (Read 6148 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
SeMO at YSU
« on: December 15, 2019, 08:48:02 PM »
We are shooting well tonight. You can tell by that last minute run that Red Birds could get back into this one. We must come out strong after the half and keep the pressure.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: SeMO at YSU
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 08:38:56 AM »
Nice win.  Really played well defensively to never allow them in the game.  YSU got pretty lax about the last 10 mins of the game once they were up 22.  I think YSU went over 9 mins without a FG.  SEMO's FT shooting was horrendous.  YSU really needs to improve on their FT shooting and learn how to close out games once league play starts.  Really should have beat that team by 25 points.

Now need to take care of business Wednesday against Binghamton to have a perfect record at home and ensure a winning record in non-conference play. 

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 10:47:44 AM »
Free throw shooting and three-point shooting still needs work.  Rebounding and defensive intensity was outstanding.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 11:12:51 AM »
Team looks like they can win some games in the Horizon League.  Free throw shooting is a problem with some of the players.  Number 1, Jamir Thomas I think, can be a big help inside if we use him.  Not sure of the status of the player from Europe that is 6 - 8, but if he returns we can have an inside presence against Northern Kentucky and Wright State and others.  At least there is hope. The emphasis on defense is paying off and makes us much more competitive. The old full court press etc seems gone or at least much less.  That rarely worked for us.

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 11:15:06 AM »
     I am not sure I would characterize a 15 point home win against a bad team a "Nice win."  First off, we went the final nine minutes (except at the very end) without scoring a basket.  Not a recipe for success against anyone.  Unfortunately, it is a reoccuring event with this team.  Second, the Penguins turned over the ball 16 times.  Third, YSU shot eight of 15 from the free through line.  On the other side, SEMO is a dreadful team.  Sagarin ranks them 315 out of 353 Division I basketball teams.  They proved it.  As an example, they converted three of 14 free throws. 

This should have been a thirty point win.  There were multiple errors during the last nine minutes that reflected lack of discipline and in some instances reckless play.   

Something is missing with this team.  The coach is likeable and achieved success earlier in his career.  The players work hard.  Effort is not an issue.  The most logical explanation is the overall talent level remains behind 70% of Division I.   

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 06:14:20 PM »
Came out the 1st half with the intensity and effort you expect,not so much the 2nd half.  Would like to see the ball go inside more. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 06:16:36 PM »
     I am not sure I would characterize a 15 point home win against a bad team a "Nice win."  First off, we went the final nine minutes (except at the very end) without scoring a basket.  Not a recipe for success against anyone.  Unfortunately, it is a reoccuring event with this team.  Second, the Penguins turned over the ball 16 times.  Third, YSU shot eight of 15 from the free through line.  On the other side, SEMO is a dreadful team.  Sagarin ranks them 315 out of 353 Division I basketball teams.  They proved it.  As an example, they converted three of 14 free throws. 

This should have been a thirty point win.  There were multiple errors during the last nine minutes that reflected lack of discipline and in some instances reckless play.   

Something is missing with this team.  The coach is likeable and achieved success earlier in his career.  The players work hard.  Effort is not an issue.  The most logical explanation is the overall talent level remains behind 70% of Division I.   

Chez:

Do you think it could be the adjustment from D-II to DI? Maybe not seeing the talent-level? I mean he was a DI assistant; but it could be. You see that when coaches drop down all the time; they overestimate their team's abilities. Perhaps the opposite is also true?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 06:17:32 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 07:09:19 PM »
I watched the entire game on ESPN+. I just don't think we have a "go to guy" for the 3s as in the past. The the last two were Kendrick and Cam. There were many others before them.

We now have a bunch of guys who can shoot 3s at a given night. But, we don't have one who can do it consistently every night.

I thought we were the worst FT shooting team. SeMO proved me wrong.

The big guy Smith had some good moves toward the basket. However, he would not do us too much good since he could not shoot FT.

As for that long stretch that we did not score, we had the wrong combinations out there with most of them being bench players. I think coach would have done it differently if it was a tight game.

Q is a good shooting guard with good ability to also take it to the hole. Playing point guard takes away some of the explosive part of his game.

I know a win is a win. But, SeMO was simply plain awful.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2019, 09:07:59 PM »
I agree with most all of the comments.  I think Coach was just trying to spread out the minutes especially during that scoring drought with 3 games in less than 6 days.  Kind of surprised Hamperian hasn't gotten any minutes of late.

I do really like how hard this team does play and I think are a really great group of kids, but like was mentioned I think we still lack talent and size when we have to face teams in the MAC and higher end schools.  The full court press was something Coach really wanted to establish.  It killed us in year one and he backed off last year, and hasn't done it much this year.  It can work at times but just not consistently as it seems to hurt more than help. 

It does concern me that Quisenberry is really the only go to guy we have when we need to score, but like was mentioned hasn't been shooting the ball well from 3's.  And his FT % is a little disappointing too. 

It's just still mind boggling to me how bad YSU has dropped in 3-PT %.  I realize the line is a little further but it doesn't seem to be affecting other schools that much.  I just compared stats and our 6 returning shooters are down between 4.3-12.2%.  Here's the differences in % from last year to this year to date: Quisenberry (32 to 27.7), Covington (34.1 to 23.8), Morgan 32.4 to 26.7), Simmons (40.2 to 29), Cathcart (35.4 to 28) & Akuckie (36.8 to 24.6). 

YSU should have stole one from Western Michigan and had an opportunity against Louisiana, but at least we're winning the games we should win.  If YSU takes care of business against Binghamton it should be deemed a pretty successful non-conference season.  Outside of Wright St and Northern Kentucky at 8-3, the rest of the Horizon League hasn't done much in the non-conference; in fact, YSU is the only other school with a winning record thus far. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 10:08:32 PM »
Mud, great points on the full court press for 1st and last season. It didn't work out for us, partly because we didn't have that type of players.
Because of the press, many of the guys were tire toward the end of the game. At times, when the other team has broken the press, we had difficulty in getting back on playing an organized defense. That resulted in too many easy baskets for our opponents.
As for the 3s, I was disappointed at Morgan. He could launch the 3s last year from 23 foot out and this year, he couldn't the 3s from 21 foot.

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 10:32:52 AM »
     A couple of comments related to previous posts. 

On the topic of YSU’s talent level, at one time I bought into the idea YSU was limited in its basketball recruiting potential by geographic location, its character as a regional institution, budget, culture as a football university, etc.  These concepts were offered primarily by previous unsuccessful coaches (Stroia, Robic).  The basketball success of Akron, Kent State and Cleveland State under the same or similar circumstances argued otherwise.  Each has been to the NCAA tournament in the past two decades, Akron (and perhaps others) multiple times.  The success of the YSU women’s program on a national level, when well coached, convinced me the aforementioned criteria were not determinant of success at Youngstown. 

Coach Calhoun proved he knows what he is doing on the court.  The most glaring remaining element is recruit identification and ability to convince to attend. 

On the topic of YSU’s winning nonconference record, let’s take a closer look.  They defeated North Carolina Central (Sagarin ranked 318 of 352 Division I universities), USC Upstate (Sagarin 331), Robert Morris (Sagarin 298) and SEMO (Sagarin 316).  All Division I bottom 20% teams.   A couple of the wins were close games.  Let’s not be fooled by the team’s performance against an inordinately weak schedule as an indicator of success.  Scheduling this many poor performing teams did not occur by accident.  Not to be lost, the Penguins were defeated by Western Michigan (Sagarin 236).   

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 01:35:34 PM »
Under Slocum we lost some of these games. Shooting is killing us this year. in years past we were always a decent shooting 3-point team we've always been bad at free throws but the three pointers are concerning. The Horizon League stinks so we have a shot at finishing in the top four or five. Unfortunately our recruiting is not being helped by the piss poor conference we are in. Horizon League went from a mid-major to a low major in last couple of years. I believe we only have five or six wins against the MAC Conference and almost 20 losses against the Mac. Losing Butler Valparaiso and Loyola big time. We replace them with piss-poor teams.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 03:18:22 PM »
I really don't think it was intentionally scheduling bad teams.  USC Upstate & NC Central were part of the Global Sports Shootout with Louisville & Akron.  All 4 teams played each other.  Robert Morris is generally an annual game, which are usually very competitive.  And this is the 2nd straight year we'll play Binghamton.  The MAC games are always a good test.     

When Coach Calhoun was hired he had said he wanted to play a strong non-conference schedule.  He had even said he didn't like the DIII games, but the Westminster game is a good fit.

The key is to see improvement.  Obviously did that last year in league play and now this should be our best non-conference season in years.  YSU was predicted to finish 6th in the pre-season poll.  I really think we should be at least 5th.