Author Topic: Baseball and Softball  (Read 8966 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Baseball and Softball
« on: March 10, 2019, 10:20:40 PM »
I think Baseball is 0-13 and softball is 1-10.  Both have batting averages below 200 and many K's.  Some is against difficult southern competition, but not all.  I sure hope they have a turnaround or it will be a long season for them.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball and Softball
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 09:12:37 AM »
My guess is it is already a long season for them! 
Softball has given up a TOTAL of 3 runs in our last 3 games and are 1-2 in those games.  We scored 4 to open the season and as many as 2 only twice since, having been shutout 4 times!  Really need some offensive help! 

Baseball is just the opposite giving up 10 runs a game.  We have held the opponents under 6 runs a game twice, and in those we have up 5 and 4 runs.  Scores look more like slow-pitch softball. 

Looks like coach Campbell needs hitters, and coach Bertolini could use some pitchers.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 10:15:13 AM »
go guins

Good analyses of the baseball and softball teams. Very little pitching for baseball and terrible hitting for the softball team. They will do better in the Horizon league, but it still will be a long, long season for both teams.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 11:13:17 AM »
While YSU baseball and softball aren't OSU football, but they have respectable records over the years and we have competent coaches.  We also usually suffer in the South to start the season and do better in the Horizon league.  Both these programs will get turned around, and if it isn't this year, at least going forward.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 11:33:38 AM »
Here is the thing that is so perplexing and disturbing about the softball team.  We have hitters in that lineup that were productive last season.  Many are now performing at 100-200 points below their career stats.  We actually have a .400 hitter from last season who is struggling to stay about the Mendoza line!  Poor winter training habits?  Lack of motivation?  I have no idea.

Baseball is a big problem.  We just got annihilated by another northern team this weekend.  How much longer are we going to pump money into an expensive program that can't seem to compete?  Is the addition of the men's swimming team the beginning of the end?  I sure hope not but it would not shock me.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »
Here is the thing that is so perplexing and disturbing about the softball team.  We have hitters in that lineup that were productive last season.  Many are now performing at 100-200 points below their career stats.  We actually have a .400 hitter from last season who is struggling to stay about the Mendoza line!  Poor winter training habits?  Lack of motivation?  I have no idea.

Baseball is a big problem.  We just got annihilated by another northern team this weekend.  How much longer are we going to pump money into an expensive program that can't seem to compete?  Is the addition of the men's swimming team the beginning of the end?  I sure hope not but it would not shock me.
Women's hitting:  Hitters hit.  If somebody is a .300 hitter then they are going to hit .300. Maybe that bodes well for league play?
Men's swimming vs baseball?  That's silly.  If we were going to replace baseball with men's swimming we would't need to be screwing around with women's lacrosse for title IX compliance.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 01:09:23 PM »

Some of us had that same conversation at the pregame party Wick. My thought is "no", as we are adding Ladies Lacrosse.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 01:16:23 PM »
There is nothing silly about this.  We are operating at the DI minimum for men's sports, so baseball was "safe" by default.  Now, baseball could be eliminated without impacting our DI status.  Again, I don't want this to happen, but given the costs of a baseball program and the constant failures, it becomes a viable option.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 04:43:32 PM »
Oh I think it is very serious as well Wick. The reason I say "no" is because of Bowling and now Lacrosse, we need to keep baseball. Baseball was on the chopping block just 2-years ago. I suspect that the addition of bowling  had something to do with keeping it. Also, we have adding some big money (at least in terms of baseball) series' the last 3 or 4 years. I am not really certain just how much a 3-game series pays against a p5 club.

You are correct, we should have held our own against Miami (at least a split). We should have taken the final game in at least one of the p-5 series. You see, most of the major DI clubs have  2 or 3 quality starters ...then some young guys. YSU has to rotate our #1 back in for 3 & 4 games series. These two things usually gives us an advantage; as we can hit off the young guys and our 1 and 2 in the pitching rotation should be able to hold their own. We should play fairly-even further down in the rotation.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 06:15:49 PM »
Baseball is a loser and will always be a loser because there is no on campus stadium.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 12:06:28 AM »
We lose in baseball and softball due to what we spend period.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 11:15:38 AM »
We lose in baseball and softball due to what we spend period.
We're the same as this Indians in that we don't spend enough on free agents?  Sorry, but to me this is the statement of a loser, not about a loser, but by a loser.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 05:07:55 PM »
I can agree with the stadium location to a degree. However I do not think that we are partnering with the Tribe to the best of our ability. CSU had to drop baseball because of that as well. We pay a portion of the stadium rent, we need to look deeper into joint marketing, which will not come if we move to a local stadium.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 06:23:19 PM »
Go guins thanks for that nice compliment. Your comment brought nothing to the topic.  But this has nothing do with the Indians and free agents. You must be confused.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 10:11:20 AM »
Go guins thanks for that nice compliment. Your comment brought nothing to the topic.  But this has nothing do with the Indians and free agents. You must be confused.
For those of you with reading impairments, my point is "sports is NOT all about the money."   
It offends me when the "whoa is me" crowd always has an excuse instead of a suggestion.  Free flowing excuses is a sign of weakness.