Author Topic: MBB vs Oakland  (Read 7481 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
MBB vs Oakland
« on: January 31, 2019, 01:21:09 PM »
I see we are an 8 point underdog.  Same old line, we are underdogs.  We can win, but need to have a good game out of our outside players, and get some penetration to the basket and a bit of inside play from our bigs.  Hope we can get a win to help the team with their mental game.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MBB vs Oakland
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 03:25:35 PM »
A very low possibility of YSU men's team winning, they somehow find a way to miss shoots, miss foul shoots, foul out of games and etc. Most fans have written them off, but I would like to see some hope with a win.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 08:55:01 PM »
YSU won 75-74 at Oakland

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 09:00:30 PM »
A very low possibility of YSU men's team winning, they somehow find a way to miss shoots, miss foul shoots, foul out of games and etc. Most fans have written them off, but I would like to see some hope with a win.

Well there you go!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 09:08:59 PM »
Youth, two freshman and sophomore lead the way!

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 09:38:48 PM »
Great win for us, much needed so the team can continue to grow.  I thought John Sally was the difference along with some strong play by Quisenberry.  John Sally helped with some inside offense and slowed down the Oakland bigs inside, compared to the first half.  Maybe we found an inside player that can make a difference.  Been there all along.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 10:02:02 PM »
Youth, two freshman and sophomore lead the way!

Exciting, but then as a YSU fan you remember that we average about 3-4 defectors an offseason.  I truly hope these guys who are making up this core realize the potential this team has if they grow up together here.  Should be a fun ride, now time to protect home court.  Unfortunately, we've been better on the road :(

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 10:41:28 PM »
Q is the real deal.

Naz should be playing DE for Bo...

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 10:45:43 PM »
Big victory. I cannot understand how we compete and win on the road but cannot win at home. Detroit's going to be tall task to win their. Why all of a sudden did we play the tall guy John Salley. Sounds like he did good where's he been all season.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 11:02:13 PM »
Q was indeed impressive tonight. In the last minute, missing front end of two 1&1 always cost us the game. I watch John Salley at Beeghly earlier this year. He had no inside shot and his foot work was awful. He was out of position for the rebound. He did well tonight. There might be some coaching involved. I still think Covington has the best looking jump shots. I don't know why coach does not play him more. Naz has not been playing well lately and he couldn't hit the midium jump shots.
They just wanted this game more than Oakland.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 12:45:09 AM »
I agree with all of the above comments.  After we settled down after they went up big early, we played like we wanted it more.  Was nice to see us close out a close game in the end.  I was afraid it was going to go the other way again late.  Sally & Quisenberry were definitely the difference.  Covington played well & I thought Akuchie gave us good minutes.  Sally definitely slowed down their dominance inside and that turned the game around. 

I've been wondering if Coach would give Sally a shot one of these games...not much to lose.  We haven't really gotten anything late from Pederson, Anabir & Holcombe.  Sally definitely has the size and it was nice to see him make some close range shots and finish inside.  Maybe he'll turn into a Jordan Kaufman. 

Will be interesting how we play now against Detroit- a team we just can't seem to beat.  Think we've lost 14 straight to them.  They beat Cleveland State tonight- that pretty much takes CSU out of it. 

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 11:46:03 AM »
I think John Sally has much more upside compared to Jordan Kaufman.  Much more athletic. Need to coach him up so we have the needed inside play on offense and defense.  The women's team seems to be able to coach up the inside players to be dominate. Sara Cash and Mary Dunn didn't come to YSU with a strong inside game, but it sure has been developed since they got here. I have heard that Sara worked hard with a coach all summer to get her inside game going, and it sure worked out.  Hopefully the men can do the same.  I think ours men's team system has evolved since the new staff arrived and wanted to full court press, shoot 3's, and not be to concerned with the inside game.  Now we are more traditional, don't press so much, and the inside play has evolved to being the difference in winning and losing. We can be very good with the addition of an inside presence.  I think our guards are plenty good enough to compete in the Horizon League.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 12:34:13 PM »
Naz should be playing DE for Bo...

Maybe he'll make the move this fall.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 08:03:22 PM »
I thought the defense was the the reason they won.  Closed out on shooters but a little of OU not shooting well.

Shocked by John Salley's production.  Anomaly or will we see him grow into a contributor ?   Naz goes 0 for 7 with a season low of 2 rebounds and still get the road win.  Great team win.