Author Topic: Spring Game  (Read 38669 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Game
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2016, 01:52:19 PM »
Last year I thought Ricky Davis should have been allowed to throw more and that he would be the productive QB and win the staring job. I am coming to the same conclusion after the Spring Game.

We have small quick backs and a questionable Oline.  Without the threat of the QB run, our offense is in trouble.  Davis is very quick and willing to run and has shown he can run effectively.  And he can throw.  Wells is a good thrower, but with no run option the defenses have our number, especially late in the game.

Ricky should start with Hosick in the hunt to start or back up.  I don't think we have a chance doing the same thing as last year.
Is there an unwritten sentence in you post that says "because our coaches are all more stupid than any fan?"  You say “Davis can throw”, but is that based on anything anybody has ever seen, our just because it help makes your argument?   I suspect they don’t let Davis throw, because he can’t throw.  And with no O-line, NOBODY is going to consistently gain ground rushing.  QB runs are NOT a cure all for bad O-line play.   What will happen is your QB is going to get clobbered and be our injured.  Seriously, we’ve seen the spring game, you can’t see 2 cents difference in QB’s from that practice and the question about any of last season’s redshirts etc. do anything is all that is relevant at this point.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2016, 04:02:07 PM »
68, you do need to realize that Davis is playing at a much higher level than last year. So if you liked then, you will really like him now.

There is no QB conspiracy, just have to weigh everything.

I have always liked Mays & certain people said he will never start for this program. Well, he can start now if we put him in there, but there is no reason. I can say this, he has a bit of a baseball throwing style when he drops straight back ...a lot easier to pick those guys off, because they throw just above defenders heads. Yet despite this, I see huge potential in the guy & he is our future.

Davis is stepping up into his potential as well. Yet again, Wells has a much stronger arm & that will be hard to beat.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 08:49:23 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2016, 09:35:01 PM »
I watched Ricky Davis in the Spring Game last year I think it was or the year before that and in my opinion he threw the ball well.  I saw a few throws in games last year and got the same impression; he throws well.  Maybe he can't read defenses or learn the system; not sure there.  And I don't advocate a running QB, but on third down it sure helps when no one is open or when our backs get the ball, his fake has meaning to the defense. I still think with our talent, he gives us the best chance to win compared to what we saw last year.  The two new QB's, not sure, but he looked better to me compared to them in the Spring Game.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2016, 05:27:07 AM »
I trust the coaches will make the right decision on the QB. There is potential here to have a great season this year and a good team. We just will need to see how the line and the receivers come together.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2016, 06:51:54 AM »
NDSU was able to win regardless of who was at QB because they have the offensive line play, special teams, and defense to do it.  Tressel won with Tidwell, who was a game manager because all the other facets were there.  You can make safe throws to the TE's and throw screens when you can run the ball.  Lets not forget the formula to success.  We don't need a great QB, we just don't need stupid mistakes.  We also need a group that can prove to the fans they wont give up when the breaks are beating them.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2016, 08:59:22 AM »
NDSU was able to win regardless of who was at QB because they have the offensive line play, special teams, and defense to do it.  Tressel won with Tidwell, who was a game manager because all the other facets were there.  You can make safe throws to the TE's and throw screens when you can run the ball.  Lets not forget the formula to success.  We don't need a great QB, we just don't need stupid mistakes.  We also need a group that can prove to the fans they wont give up when the breaks are beating them.
Your analogy regarding YSU make great sense, and I agree with your point, but not so sure about including NDSU.  They just have had more than one GREAT 1AA QB after another.  Good grief, Wentz is probably #1 pick in the NFL and to me, Stick is the best QB in the MVFC again this year. 
The problem is as you correctly point out, NDSU had great OL, special teams and D, same as many JT teams at YSU.  Well we have great D, but special teams are highly questionable and OL is frankly terrible.
Maybe we find some punting and kick coverage in the fall, and you can get the OL from terrible to OK with health and a good summer and fall, but "good" is a long way away.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2016, 09:43:31 AM »
For a two year starter at quarterback to be unseeded the coaching staff has to be absolutely 100% sure. Regardless of who the starter is all 3 will play. I wasn't at the spring game and I'm not familiar with the injuries surrounding the offensive line. Spencer, Colucci, Eisenhuth have either played or started since their freshman year. Throw Vitas in there as well and Fraser, if we can't get it done up front and stay healthy we have serious  problems. The last thing you want is quarterbacks running around and getting injured and they will. Spencer, Colucci and Eisenhuth's mobility are better suited for a pocket passer then a mobile QB and that's how Wolford recruited. The biggest challenge for receivers coming into this program is the quality of defenders they face compared to H.S. and the adjustment period. Having sure, soft hands and the ability to catch the ball in crowded situations and know that your going to take a hit is the skill that defines a wide receiver. I think the majority of our receivers possess a combination of good physical traits, body control, and agility. Moving their body in space seems to be a huge issue along with the drops. Some of the latest F.C.S. polls have the Bison, Illinois St, Northern Iowa 1,2,3 and S.D.S.U. 5th. All 3 will have very high powered offenses to go along with their strong defenses. Hopefully we will be ready for fall camp

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2016, 11:00:10 AM »
Your analogy regarding YSU make great sense, and I agree with your point, but not so sure about including NDSU.  They just have had more than one GREAT 1AA QB after another.  Good grief, Wentz is probably #1 pick in the NFL and to me, Stick is the best QB in the MVFC again this year. 
The problem is as you correctly point out, NDSU had great OL, special teams and D, same as many JT teams at YSU.  Well we have great D, but special teams are highly questionable and OL is frankly terrible.
Maybe we find some punting and kick coverage in the fall, and you can get the OL from terrible to OK with health and a good summer and fall, but "good" is a long way away.

Keep in mind Wentz and the back-up rarely made incredible throws.  They would tuck it and run vs force the throw.  We took away the throws last year and forced them to run the QB.  However, we faded down the stretch with poor play calling and missed opportunities.  The QB shouldn't need to be the focus of everyone is performing well around him.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2016, 12:38:29 PM »
Hey YSUGO,

What's the status of Jalyn Powell?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2016, 03:16:44 PM »
penguinpower
"Keep in mind Wentz and the back-up rarely made incredible throws."
Because you say it's so, doesn't make it so.  You think the NFL is so interested in Wentz at #1 overall becuase he rarely made an incredable throw and just tucked and ran?  Don't write stupid stuff, it detracts from some of your better comments.

"However, we faded down the stretch with poor play calling and missed opportunities.  The QB shouldn't need to be the focus of everyone is performing well around him."
I disagree.  Somebody needs to lead!

IMO, you and everyone on this blog misses the point.  Sometimes somebody has to step up and make a play.  This team, and for all the Wolford years, now into Pelini's tenure there has had a dearth of playmakers.  Although our defense looks stout, we need some playmakers on O to beat the good teams.  At NDSU, Brock Jensen made plays, Wentz made plays, Stick makes plays, and in similar situations we seem to shrink into the background.  I think Wells has plenty of talent, but I think Hosick is here to make plays under pressure.  Wells has never done it, Davis has never done it.  Let's hope somebody steps up on offense to be a difference maker.
It's always easy to blame the coach, but perfectly executed almost every play can score a TD.   Sometimes you just don't have championship talent. 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2016, 05:11:30 PM »
penguinpower
Because you say it's so, doesn't make it so.  You think the NFL is so interested in Wentz at #1 overall becuase he rarely made an incredable throw and just tucked and ran?  Don't write stupid stuff, it detracts from some of your better comments.

"However, we faded down the stretch with poor play calling and missed opportunities.  The QB shouldn't need to be the focus of everyone is performing well around him."

IMO, you and everyone on this blog misses the point.  Sometimes somebody has to step up and make a play.  This team, and for all the Wolford years, now into Pelini's tenure there has had a dearth of playmakers.  Although our defense looks stout, we need some playmakers on O to beat the good teams.  At NDSU, Brock Jensen made plays, Wentz made plays, Stick makes plays, and in similar situations we seem to shrink into the background.  I think Wells has plenty of talent, but I think Hosick is here to make plays under pressure.  Wells has never done it, Davis has never done it.  Let's hope somebody steps up on offense to be a difference maker.
It's always easy to blame the coach, but perfectly executed almost every play can score a TD.   Sometimes you just don't have championship talent.

My point was that Wentz and the back-up did not force throws.  Wentz is being looked at because of his size, the fact that he has multiple NC's, and the fact that he performed well in the combine and he is a straight A student.  If he had not done well in the combine he would not be looked at.  I have seen him make poor throws, but I have also seen him make some impressive ones when it mattered.  My point is that in his game against YSU last year the back-up QB ran the ball vs making the throws.  I have seen Wentz do that against good defenses...............run vs throw. 

My understanding about Davis is that he could not read a defense.  That was his main issue not his athletic ability. 

I get that you want players to make plays, but our issues are on the OL.  They have been unable to stay on the field when it mattered because against good defenses we have not been able to run the ball.  Your problems go away when you can run the ball and stop the run.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2016, 09:00:32 PM »
Penguinpower is right. The o line needs to improve.   Rule of thumb in all team sports is to be strong up the middle and you have a good chance of being successful.  How many running QB's has Alabama had and how many championships have they won.  They have horses on the line.  We need some of those horses. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2016, 11:37:00 PM »
If everybody on the offensive line was healthy and playing in the proper position, then the performance at the spring game would be a cause for great concern.  But we should really suspend judgment until fall camp.  Some did not play in that game, some played just a little, some played out of position, and the redshirt freshmen displayed their inexperience while going up against a very sound defense.  We might have a big problem.  We might have no problem at all.  We will know in August.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2016, 07:41:06 AM »
Heard Powell was suspended.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2016, 07:52:43 AM »
penguinpower

The game is won and lost on the line of scrimmage.  You make no sense to me.  You have a superficial view of the sport with some of your statements.  The QB's you mention would be nothing if they didn't have protection and a solid run game to lean on.  Your fixation is as bad as ESPN's sensationalism with one player on each team.