Author Topic: QB Thread  (Read 43640 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
QB Thread
« on: November 08, 2015, 10:56:10 PM »
I agree football is a team sport and to say that one player is the problem i unfair.  Even Coach Pelini when asked point blank about him changing Quarterbacks chuckled and said that yes Wells made a bad decison but there were other reasons that were affecting the passing game.  Davis is the new winkle in the offense so far.  But Wells is QB1 and Pelini and Monty are all in with Wells.  If Wells lays an egg Saturday then all bets are off. If Wells pulls out the upset Saturday will that make the Davis supporters happy I doubt it.  I just want a win that's all.  Go Guins!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: QB Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 08:27:34 AM »
I have asked many time for people to put topics in one thread. Quite frankly I am tired of reading anti-Wells and anti-Montgomery stuff by the same couple of people all the time. Please keep it in here so that I can more easily ignore it.

Right now you have a QB coach working all game with all 3 quarterbacks. Gary is gone and no one wants to see Mays lose his red-shirt ...so you have 2 quarterbacks. You have two things that work well with Davis at QB ...the keeper and the sweep-toss. Of course I have always loved the option, but that is not what we are at this point. Everything else works better Wells taking snaps. Wells is a solid passer, with skills beyond our level; but consistency is an issue. Then again, if he was consistently that good ...he would not be here.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 08:29:17 AM »
As I see it, with our O line problems and lack of a big back, we need the QB to have the threat of running to keep the defense honest and to give the QB a chance when pass blocking breaks down. Wells can't do those things so the run game is slowed and the pass game must happen fast so he doesn't get sacked. That leads to the interceptions due to the quick read needed to avoid the sack.  Pass plays never get extended with Wells.  So from what I have seen, only Davis can get us over those issues and give us a chance to win against top opponents.  Not sure what his other issues are, but the coaches must think they are significant.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 08:30:50 AM »
I agree that Wells is the best QB.  The issue is that he is not progressing as he should be.  Why is that?  I say it is coaching.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 09:03:49 AM »
Wells in not the perfect QB.  Montgomery is not the perfect OC.   I am not the perfect hardware guy. My guess is anyone reading this is perfect either.  GOOD GRIEF, the game was 47-7!!  Yes, MSU was terrible.  That was the worst beat down I've ever seen vs a MVFC team.  In fact, it was among the worst against anybody, and I've seen a lot of them!  Can't we find anything positive going into NDSU?

My observations from Saturday are as follows.  We have had issues running inside since we changed 3 OL early in the year, but Saturday we did an outstanding job getting around the corner with good ol' "student body right" runs.  They may be young up front, but maybe a little more mobile and something to exploit.  Especially since our backs lack size, but speed is OK. 

Secondly, Hunter is pretty deadly on crossing patterns in the middle, both intermediate and deeper "skinny post" patterns.   However, he has a real tendency to float the ball to the outside, setting up several INTs this season.   I believe key to next two games is running wide and throwing across the middle.

Thirdly, after the Wolford years, we finally are playing the kind of D that wins games.  We don’t have all great players, but we play hard and we play aggressively, and although it isn’t always pretty to watch, it continues to get better. Win or lose Saturday, we are on the right track.  We have a lot of good young players and we are improving.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 05:47:49 PM »
I have asked many time for people to put topics in one thread. Quite frankly I am tired of reading anti-Wells and anti-Montgomery stuff by the same couple of people all the time. Please keep it in here so that I can more easily ignore it.

It's almost the season to mock Jerry!   :D
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 07:12:08 PM »

Right now you have a QB coach working all game with all 3 quarterbacks. Gary is gone and no one wants to see Mays lose his red-shirt ...so you have 2 quarterbacks. You have two things that work well with Davis at QB ...the keeper and the sweep-toss. Of course I have always loved the option, but that is not what we are at this point. Everything else works better Wells taking snaps. Wells is a solid passer, with skills beyond our level; but consistency is an issue. Then again, if he was consistently that good ...he would not be here.

OK, I get it - you're sold on Wells and Montgomery
I remember last year when Montgomery was asked if he would go after Cardale if he left Ohio State he said Wells was the better QB of the two.  Cardale has a receive corps decimated by injuries and Wells has an O-line in the same boat, but I would tread lightly on "skills beyond our level".

I think it would help to have a mobile QB when the O-line is beat up.  Wells can run, he just doesn't.

As far a Tanner - he screwed up.  It just amazes me to see how the band wagon is big on second, third and fourth chances when the player is top ranked, but a situation like Tanner and it is all good that the hammer came down.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 08:33:37 PM »

I remember last year when Montgomery was asked if he would go after Cardale if he left Ohio State he said Wells was the better QB of the two.  Cardale has a receive corps decimated by injuries and Wells has an O-line in the same boat, but I would tread lightly on "skills beyond our level".

I think it would help to have a mobile QB when the O-line is beat up.  Wells can run, he just doesn't.

As far a Tanner - he screwed up.  It just amazes me to see how the band wagon is big on second, third and fourth chances when the player is top ranked, but a situation like Tanner and it is all good that the hammer came down.

I had no idea why Tanner was off the team. I was under the impression he quit?

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 08:43:25 PM »
I had no idea why Tanner was off the team. I was under the impression he quit?

Not initially - if he did quit it was not his idea.  Too bad, he put in a lot of time and supported his team even knowing his chances.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 02:35:50 PM »
  Neither Wells or Davis will be the quarterback next year.   Pelini will find a quick fix transfer who can throw and run, then begin grooming a quarterback to his liking.   Listen closely to Pelini, it drives him crazy that Wells is soft and not only cannot run, he is scared.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 03:09:49 PM »
Pelini may have to find a quick fix transfer.
If Montgomery takes his top talents to a higher status program like some argue, he will take Wells with him.
Ricky probably won't be back.
Probably lose Bell also and a few more.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 03:47:02 PM »
Pelini may have to find a quick fix transfer.
If Montgomery takes his top talents to a higher status program like some argue, he will take Wells with him.
Ricky probably won't be back.
Probably lose Bell also and a few more.

Bell?  Matt Bell, the guard/center?   Sometimes I can't tell if you guys are kidding or not.
Our OC STINKS!  Our OL STINKS!  Our QB STINK! and so why would you worry if they all left? 
(For the record, IMO our OC, OL and QB's do NOT stink)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 03:54:58 PM »

I am certainly sold on coach Montgomery; have been for some years now. However, if we keep making him alter his offense to the point where we have no misdirection ...he may choose take other offers. I am not sold on Wells or Davis. Not certain that we will bring in a JUCO, I would think that the progression of all 3 QB's will be the determining factor there. Again coach M is a system coach and it takes just as much effort to teach a JUCO, as it does to teach an underclassman that system. I am not in favor of putting in a large effort for a year.

Wells and Davis have made unbelievable changes in the past few weeks ...let's just see if their progression continues. I am very happy with 2 of our underclassmen on the O-Line. If Cole continues to progress, I am very happy with our chances to win out.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 04:04:22 PM »
1-AA, I get the feeling it's you and me aginst the world supporting our players and coaches.  Yes they make mistakes.  Yes they are not perfect, but there the best we have and I root for them and hope they win each week.  Frankly I've see a couple QB's far better than Wells and Davis here, and a bunch worse.  I still think Hunter can get far better, but this hate mongering with Montgomery is getting tiring.  Good grief, sometimes I actually think some of these guys think THEY could do better!!  How funny is that?  Think they are Vince Lombardi bolting bumpers on a car at GM for a living.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 07:33:15 PM »
Bell?  Matt Bell, the guard/center?   Sometimes I can't tell if you guys are kidding or not.
Our OC STINKS!  Our OL STINKS!  Our QB STINK! and so why would you worry if they all left? 
(For the record, IMO our OC, OL and QB's do NOT stink)

Not sure what the diatribe about "STINKS" has to do with my posts.
Just curious, you state you support our players but enjoy calling Julius Childs 'Julia'.
Any particular reason?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 07:36:44 PM by IAA Fan »