Author Topic: State of men’s basketball  (Read 101672 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Marcus Keene, Osandi Vaughn leaving YSU
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 10:00:33 PM »
Just keep lining up the excuses for this guy.... It's amazing. No other university would put up with the kind of mediocrity that Slocum puts out here.... Lol

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2015, 10:58:11 PM »
Hey,05.... Strollo does  it quite well.   Hired  Jerry . Extended him. And now his son is on the team. One big happy family !  8)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2015, 08:01:30 AM »
Popsicle, I was talking about football primarily for the Florida guys.

05, I will say it again ...you are blinded by your dislike for Slocum.

Paladin, you have no credibility as you hate YSU; so who cares? Please don't pull your usual, by joking with one of your alter-egos or by martyring yourself as some sort of truth-Sayer.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2015, 12:19:03 PM »
And you my friend, are blinded by the BS that comes out of Strollo's mouth. Overshadowing the fact that this man has 2 winning seasons in 10 years and is still here!! Unbelievable.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2015, 12:21:05 PM »
  Two different issues we are talking about here.  The first is the lack of success in basketball is on Slocum.  I don' t think any other division 1 program in the country would have let this disaster go on this long.  Sad thing is I hear the powers at YSU think Slocum is doing a good job, his performance is pathetic.

Second issue is Ron Strollo failing to address the issue and fire this stiff.   Also, when Butler left the Horizon League become a much lesser conference.    No reason to be in or near the basement every year.

Not even sure to begin with Strollo's son,  saw him play in high school and likely would be a very good fit at a Division 3 school like Mt. Union.   But if he gets any significant playing time at YSU we are worse than I thought.   I can't imagine that there is pressure from above to play him, and i really can't believe Slocum would let that happen.  I am no fan of Slocum. but Strollo's kid would not be able to play D-2, let alone here.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:59:02 PM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2015, 12:38:00 PM »
Just find it hard to believe that I used to stand in line 2 hours before games at Struthers Field House to watch a Division 2 YSU play Akron or Gannon or Philadelphia Textile. Or even believe that OU, Minnesota, Northwestern, South Alabama, LaSalle, C. Michigan, E. Michigan, Buffalo, Radford, Canisius ever came here to Beeghley. Now our home schedule has the likes of Warren Wilson, Thiel, and Hiram. I dont know what happened or even how to fix it, but somebody somewhere must have an answer. I just know I miss those days when I couldnt wait to see a game

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2015, 01:38:08 PM »
When you talk about anything in the athletic dept.................... it all starts FIRST with STROLLO. Everything follows after that.  8)

There is NO ACCOUNTABILITY at YSU. Its the good old boys club. Until that changes , you'll watch a third rate program, if you are still dumb enough to be there to watch.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2015, 02:51:09 PM »
First of all I will ALWAYS be in favor of the "good old boys club" it is the way any serious program operates. Rules are on paper ...nowhere else. Come on down to Columbus for a day, you will see what I mean.

Strollo's son ...he is a non-factor. He is on remission as the child of faculty, so he has no need for any scholarship dollars. Let him play & he will end up where he ends up. So why complain? I would expect the same for any of your sons/daughters if you were an employee.

Strollo: wonderful AD and I could not ask for more. When he leaves, we will all be worse off as a program.

Slocum: He is what he is. I like him & am happy he is here. I wish we had more success, but MBB is at the appropriate concern level right now. It has to fall below facilities, women's sports and football. If we were able to pull in the nation's basketball best players, I would still be happy to have Slocum at the helm. In the mean time he has good fundamental coaching skills, affording us the ability to recruit untapped talent. He is also prepping a good replacement for when he does retire. Even if we hired outside, I see Slocum as being an integral part of the transition. After all ...he is a "good ole boy".

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2015, 07:26:12 PM »
Who the heck cares if Strollos kid is on the bench, I doubt he is taking someones scholarship.

I also believe that we need a new coach, I think that Jerry tries his best but just not getting it done.

I do not understand why we keep him,
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

ValleyTalk

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2015, 08:55:26 PM »
Who the heck cares if Strollos kid is on the bench, I doubt he is taking someones scholarship.

I also believe that we need a new coach, I think that Jerry tries his best but just not getting it done.

I do not understand why we keep him,
His father is AD and full-time at YSU, thus he would not need a scholarship as he'd be going for nothing.

The real question, is Plummer next? According to someone on here, he had an altercation of some sort during the year which led him to the bench.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2015, 09:05:16 PM »
1AA....."Slocum: He is what he is. I like him & am happy he is here. I wish we had more success, but MBB is at the appropriate concern level right now. It has to fall below facilities, women's sports and football. If we were able to pull in the nation's basketball best players, I would still be happy to have Slocum at the helm. In the mean time he has good fundamental coaching skills, affording us the ability to recruit untapped talent. He is also prepping a good replacement for when he does retire. Even if we hired outside, I see Slocum as being an integral part of the transition. After all ...he is a "good ole boy"."

Please tell me that is nothing but sarcasm.  Look, I pay absolutely no attention to MBB because well, it SUCKS, PERIOD.

If it HAS to fall below facilities and women's sports, then why have it?? 
How does this program even think about pulling good players in, when the program is absolutely terrible?
Good fundamental coaching skills?  Untapped talent?  He loses more players than he gets.  HE loses more games than he wins.

Sarcasm right?  Please say yes.  Because until today, I really respected your views on a lot of things.  But, if that is how you truly feel, I may have to start reading your comments with the same view as I read Paladin.

SHEESH, I feel like I was just kicked in the gut.  WOW!!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:06:14 PM by SoupCity »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2015, 09:56:46 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if 1 or 2 more players left....

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 11:30:25 PM »
It would be absurd to prioritize a non-revenue generating sport over a revenue generating sport.

Maybe Bobby Hain should be put in lock down so he doesn't leave.  Or Maybe bribe him to stay? Idk
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2015, 10:14:08 AM »
This can be fixed if the right guy comes in to run it. I guess our coach will be here another year before he retires so that makes it really tough to recruit. Kids dont come here because of the "brand", some schools never really recruit, they just choose. We are not that type of program. Kids come here to play for a coach they relate to, or its the only D1 scholly they received. They leave for basically the same reason, they lose trust in the staff that recruited them or they realize they cannot play at this level and want playing time. All of them come in thinking that they are better than they realize and when reality sets in they step out. It seems that we have signed 3 nice players but will they stay when a new staff takes over. We might find ourselves in the same boat this time next season. Right now we are stuck in a revolving door, going nowhere fast.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2015, 11:11:10 AM »
Slocum is gonna stay to get his 700 wins... Against Youngstown East or Chaney, or Rayen or whoever else we play at home... After next year, see ya.