Author Topic: Akron Promotes Tressel to Executive Vice President  (Read 2068 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Akron Promotes Tressel to Executive Vice President
« on: December 11, 2013, 09:54:17 PM »
Former Ohio State and Youngstown State football coach Jim Tressel was named executive vice president at the University of Akron today.

Tressel, 61, had been serving as vice president of student success. The promotion is Tressel's third since starting at the University of Akron 18 months ago.

University of Akron President Luis Proenza is retiring in June, and Tressel's name has been mentioned as a candidate by Proenza. Tressel told the Cleveland Plain Dealer he hasn't thought about possibly assuming the presidency.

Proenza created the position of vice president of strategic engagement for Tressel in 2012, and Tressel started just shy of a year after being forced out at Ohio State, where he coached for 10 years.

Last spring, Tressel told FOX Sports Ohio that he's been too busy to miss coaching or think about an eventual return to the sidelines.

"What I loved about what I did for 38 years is working with kids," he said. "And the good news is I get to work with kids every day. It's fun."