Author Topic: Scalzo: YSU’s Rich overcomes poor odds  (Read 2412 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Scalzo: YSU’s Rich overcomes poor odds
« on: August 08, 2012, 04:35:39 PM »
By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

There’s probably a nicer way to say this but, for the sake of brevity, we’ll stick with the direct approach: Dom Rich has no business being a starting linebacker at Youngstown State.

The Canfield High graduate started his career as a walk-on (strike one) under Jon Heacock (strike two, at least once Eric Wolford arrived) and has battled knee and hip injuries (strike three) as Wolford brought in a bevy of linebacker recruits (strike four) — some of them transfers from major colleges (strike five) — and ... well, you get the idea.

“Coming in without any scholarship money, I had a chip on my shoulder because I thought I deserved it,” said Rich, one of just 11 players remaining from the Heacock era. “It took a couple years but the coaching staff, they finally got that respect [for my ability].”

As a redshirt freshman in 2010, Rich worked his way into the lineup at Will (weakside) linebacker for the final three games, earning a scholarship for the 2011 season. He played in the first three games last fall before suffering (or, more accurately, discovering) a season-ending hip fracture.

Now healthy again, he’s ahead of Ali Cheaib on the depth chart for the starting Sam linebacker spot manned last season by Davion Rogers, who left the program in December.

“Dom, no question, is an overachiever,” Wolford said. “He’s done a good job. We put him on scholarship last year and deservingly so.

“When guys come in, work hard and do things right, they’re going to be rewarded. That’s the way it should be. Dom didn’t feel entitled to anything and he continues to get better. We expect big things from him.”

Sophomores Teven Williams (Mike) and Travis Williams (Will) are back at the two other linebacker spots in YSU’s 4-3 alignment. Teven missed part of the spring with a knee injury but said he is back to 100 percent.

“He had a little hitch in his giddyup [in the spring] but he’s back to the Teven we know,” Wolford said. “He’s faster, stronger, more physical, smarter, more coachable and that’s part of the process too.

“If you let us coach you, you’ve got the opportunity to be special.”

As a true freshman last summer, Teven Williams (6-0, 220) played all 11 games, beating out senior captain John Sasson for the starting spot in week four. He stayed there the rest of the year, leading the team in total tackles (67) and unassisted tackles (38) to earn honorable mention all-conference honors.

“I got some experience under my belt and that’s definitely key,” said Teven, a preseason all-conference pick. “You can’t really beat experience. I had a much better summer [this year] as far as developing myself and preparing myself for the work to come.”

On paper, linebackers are the strength of YSU’s defense — and you’ll get no argument from them.

“I feel like the linebacking crew sets the tone for the rest of the defense,” Teven said. “I feel like the other guys feed off us. If we’re amped, it’s just contagious.

“It’s our responsibility to get everyone in order, making checks, making calls. When we’re succeeding, everyone is working together for one goal.”