Author Topic: Penguins Defeat Valpo in First-Round of Horizon League Baseball Tournament  (Read 3450 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Mequon, Wis. -- Senior Phil Lipari homered and had three of the Youngstown State baseball team's 14 hits, and the Penguins beat Valparaiso 7-3 in the first round of the Horizon League Tournament on Wednesday afternoon at Kapco Park.

The sixth-seeded Penguins will advance to play No. 1 Wright State on Thursday at 8 p.m. Eastern while Valparaiso will play an elimination game against No. 5 Oakland at noon Eastern.

Five Penguins pitchers combined to hold the Crusaders to four hits as YSU held a 14-4 edge in the hits column. Starter Jared Wight allowed one run on three hits and three walks in four innings, and the bullpen shook off six walks to preserve the victory.

"I thought our guys were focused and just played loose today," YSU head coach Steve Gillispie said. "There isn't as much pressure on you when you're the underdog. We were able to get guys on base early in innings, and that allowed us to move runners and do some creative things. We also had some big hits that allowed us to extend the lead."

After leaving runners on in each of the first four innings, the Penguins scored the first two runs of the game in the fifth. Kevin Hix and Shane Willoughby led off the frame with back-to-back singles, and Lorenzo Arcuri moved them to second and third with a sacrifice bunt. Lipari then lined a single to center to plate Hix, and Larivee followed with a double that one-hopped the wall in right to score Willoughby. Cole Webb was able to strike out Brent Gillespie and get Matt Sullivan to ground out with two runners in scoring position to keep the Crusaders within two.

Andy Burns led off the bottom of the fifth with a wind-assisted home run to right, and Jake Hanson walked to put a runner on for the top of the order. Anthony Konders took over for Wight and retired the next three Crusaders to allow YSU to keep the momentum.

Konders got a double play to work around a one-out walk in the bottom of the sixth, and the Penguins added to the lead in the top of the seventh. Arcuri ignited the offense with a double to right center, and Lipari's fifth home run of the season put the Penguins ahead 4-1. Larivee followed with a double to left, and Sullivan doubled him in two batters later to give YSU a four-run cushion.

Kurt Laver doubled in Josh White and Hix in the top of the eighth to put YSU up 7-1.

Valparaiso tightened things up by scoring two runs in the eighth, and it left two runners on base in each of the final two innings. Alex Frey allowed three straight base-runners with one out in the eighth, and Ryan Smith walked a batter and started the next hitter with two straight balls before handing the ball to closer Kevin Yarabinec. Yarabinec got out of the jam by allowing a sacrifice fly to Andrew Bynum and getting Kyle Schneider to fly out.

Yarabinec walked two batters in the ninth, but he got Grant Yoder to line out and Chris Manning to ground out to earn his fifth save of the season.

Wight, making the first postseason appearance of his career, had his second-longest start of the season, and he had his biggest pitch count since April 4.

"Jared did a good job of staying ahead of hitters and locating his fastball, and, when he does that, he can be very tough to hit," Gillispie said. "We've been working on refining some of his mechanics, and we held him out of some league games down the stretch so teams couldn't get a comprehensive scouting report on him."

Konders was awarded the victory as he faced the minimum in two innings of work. Webb was charged with five runs on 12 hits in 6.2 innings in the loss. He held YSU to five runs on nine hits over 11 innings during the regular season.

Lipari finished 3-for-5 with three RBIs, and Larivee, Sullivan and Hix had two hits apiece to lead Youngstown State. Manning had two of Valparaiso's hits.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Fan:

It's about time! This team has had another deplorable baseball season. The pitching has been pitiful with the exception of a couple good relief pitchers. The offence has left a bundle of runners stranded with the bases loaded.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
I agree Olefan. I started out the season knowing that we would be swept by UAB, Alabama State and especially NC State.. We looked so good against UAB, then collapsed against ASU and NC State.. Then good performances against Notre Dame, Cinci and EKU. However, blowout losses all over.

I will be interested in next year's recruits ...we do not need a new pitcher on paper, but we sure do in the W/L column. Just as you said ...no starters and little middle. Do you think we should continue to work with and rely the young guys?

On offense, we only had one player over .300 ...the man Lipari. In college, that is not acceptable.

Here are the stats of the year:

YSU when trailing after 6 ... Record = 1-31.
YSU when opponent scores in the 1st ... Record = 5-26
Clearly this team is getting hammered early and often.

Also, we really need to win these in-state MAC games/series (losses to Kent, Akron and UT); I will admit Kent is the better team, but the rivalry should always make it a toss-up.  We should be going 1-2 or 2-1 against Cinci and UD all the time. We should be able to win at least one against the Buckeyes every series or 2 at the most.

I am still excited about this team, as there is not a team the HL with the MLB material that we have. Let's just hope it "pans out".

I am wondering how involved coach Antush is anymore? His success record with pitchers is amazing.

Go Guins!

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
I'm always hoping that they will  improve, but one pitcher had 11 wild pitches, hit 10 batters and walked 33 - that's totally no control.

Several pitchers have averaged 3 or less strike outs per 9 innings. That means the opponents are making a lot of contact with the ball.

Ten (10) pitchers had ERA's over 6.00 WOW, that's not going to win many games. I played for Mr. Rosselli and hardy anyone had a 6.00 ERA. But, at that time we used wooden bats, not the metal bats of today.

The good news is baseball records can change quickly from year to year depending on the quality of pitching. They must have control, good breaking balls with control. It takes good coaching and intensive practice to become a good pitcher.

Yarabinec looks like the real thing, he looked great this year, but he needs 5 or 6 more good pitchers to turn next year's season around. Maybe a couple remaining pitchers could improve, but it will be a challenge.

I believe we must get some new recruits who have shown good fast balls, control, and braking balls at Quad 4 schools or very competitive junior colleges. 

Why did the girl's softball team win so many games this season - Casey Crozier; she is gone next year and look for far less YSU wins. 

ValleyTalk

I have two words for you: Jeremy Quinlan!

The Brookfield grad and true freshmen just completely shut down #1 Wright State! YSU wins it 7-1 as Quinlan goes a CG.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Way to go Quinlan!! Where did he come from; a complete game also. I'm still skeptical of our pitching, but maybe someone else will step up. Also Shane Willoughby is finally beginning to hit. Way to go Shane.

Great win!! 

GO PENGUINS!!