Author Topic: Vargo: YSU missing best 3-point shooter  (Read 1937 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Vargo: YSU missing best 3-point shooter
« on: February 19, 2014, 10:43:25 AM »
YSU missing best 3-point shooter

By JOHN VARGO - Tribune Chronicle (jvargo@tribtoday.com)

YOUNGSTOWN - To say Youngstown State has missed Ryan Weber's production would be an understatement.

Weber, a 6-6, 200-pound center, had his nose broke during a Feb. 7 practice - ending a string of successful games by the YSU sophomore.

He didn't play during Feb. 9 overtime loss at Detroit. On Feb. 5 at Wright State, Weber had a career high 21 points.

During the Jan. 25 Wright State game, Jan. 31 game at Oakland and the Feb. 5 contest, Weber averaged 19.7 points, 5.3 rebounds and 2.7 3-pointers per game.

Weber led the Penguins in field-goal percentage with 43.8 percent and 45.5 percent from 3-point range in Horizon League play. He was the team's second-leading scorer behind Kendrick Perry at 13.2 in league play.

"It hurts us. He was our second-leading scorer in league play," YSU coach Jerry Slocum said. "I'm not sure in my time we've had a player that has had gaudy, statistics for league statistics."

Weber, who was not available for comment, did play during the Green Bay game with a face mask on Thursday and scored 11 points, but didn't play Saturday against UIC as he sat the bench with a white bandage covering his nose.

Weber is supposed to be re-evaluated this week.

"We're hoping to have a really good feel on Wednesday," Slocum said.

"It's indefinite. It's an ongoing thing for me to try to evaluate everything," Slocum said.

That said, a question was posed to him asking if Keene had anything to with Weber's broken nose?

Keene could not be reached for comment.

"He's indefinitely suspended," Slocum repeated. "What happens in practice, stays in practice."