Author Topic: Men's & Women's computer rankings  (Read 2789 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Men's & Women's computer rankings
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:50:44 AM »
Monday morning update on the various computers rankings for men's and women's basektball

Women's Basketball

Massey is the only service I follow that has women's rankings.  He has YSU ranked #112 overall, third in the Horizon behind Green Bay and Detroit.  With projections for each remaining game, Massey would project YSU to finish 23-6, 15-3 in the league.  Losses remaining to Green Bay (twice), at Detroit, at WVU and at Cincinnati.  YSU is a 51% favorite at Virginia Commonwealth.  I would be thrilled with a 23-6 finish, although I suspect that is a bit optomistic.  But it shows the tremendous job Coach Bolden and staff have done with the program.

Men's Basketball

Pomeroy has YSU 134 overall, fourth in the Horizon (Behind Valpo. CSU and Detroit).  Projecting a 17-12, 9-7 finish.  15 of the remaining 18 games against DI competition are projected to have final margins of six points or less and none of the games are projected to have a margin greater than 10.  This is a team that will play a lot of close games.

Massey has YSU 165 overall, sixth in the Horizon.  Projecting a 16-13, 10-8 finish based on individual game projections.  YSU is favored in all league home games plus at Loyola.

Sagarain has YSU 136 overall, fourth in the Horizon (behind Valpo, UIC and Detroit).  Based on current home court advantage and tightly bunch Horizon League ratings, he would have YSU winning only at Loyola at Green Bay and losing at home only to Valpo.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Men's & Women's computer rankings
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:28:34 PM »
I am extremely happy for both the Women
and the Men; surely their coaching staff too.

It's been so long that we the loyal fans
have had something to cheer for.

The Coaches of both are way more delighted
than the fans, I'm certain of that; but thanks
to the staff and the teams for giving us something
to cheer for.

Keep on keeping on

Lets_Talk

Re: Men's & Women's computer rankings
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 01:39:50 AM »
YsuIndy,

I enjoy reading your posts. Like it even more because of how closely you follow basketball  :). Wanted you to know that Sagarin also has ratings for Women's College Basketball...
http://www.rpiratings.com/womrate.php

YSU was #76 entering their game with IUPUI, and had a schedule strength of 270.... Top 4 teams in the HL were #20 UWGB, #76 YSU, #87 Detroit, #167 UWM... according to Sagarin, YSU has played the easiest schedule to date of the HL teams..that being said, with the win over IUPUI and a record of 6-1, really couldn't care less if they had played the easiest schedule in all of D1....We are talking about a program that went 0-30 just 3 seasons ago, and has not had a winning season since 99-00...and, the year before the 0-30, I believe they were 3-27??... Which is why I say I'm not going to split hairs over the SOS, especially when so far, all of the games have been against D1 teams, and 5 of the 7 on the road.

For those who are interested, here were the Sagarin ratings of the teams YSU has played to date, through games of December 2, 2012..... Also, according to Sagarin, the HL is ranked #14...for comparison sake, the MAC is 18th... C-USA is 13th...Missouri Valley 11th..Summit 23rd...NEC 27... SoCon 20 and OVC 26th...:
@ PITT (270) - WIN
@ Buffalo (280) - WIN
BRYANT(264) - WIN
@ Miami, OH(175) - WIN
@ Northern Kentucky(230) - LOSS
STONY BROOK(228) - WIN
@IUPUI(203) - WIN

Next up is a road game at Cincy(140) and then home on Sunday against non D1 Wilimington... A win over Cincy would be nice, even if they are a bottom tier team in the Big East.

Again, I enjoy reading your posts, and all the input you provide and the fact you discuss more than just football. I realize that football is #1 at YSU, but that does not mean it has to be an all or nothing. And, while the men's basketball team stumbled during a 4 game stretch, still have the making to be a team that can challenge for an HL Title. Not so sure about the women, as UWGB is just so good. But, anything can happen in the conference tournament
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 01:42:54 AM by Lets_Talk »