Author Topic: Detroit MBB game  (Read 4610 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Detroit MBB game
« on: January 11, 2020, 10:25:06 AM »
This is the type of game YSU needs to win if it's going to to take a step to the next level and try to compete for a championship.  It's especially important with road games against N. Kentucky and Wright State next week. 

Detroit has always been a team YSU has struggled with whether they've been good or bad and this may be one of the worst teams they've had in awhile.  They've won 12 of the last 13 against YSU with the only win being last year at Detroit. It's mind blowing that's it's been 6 years since YSU beat them at home.  In the past, these games have usually always been high scoring and YSU has generally never been as athletic and as physical as them.    YSU is a 6.5 point favorite.   

YSU can't let Davis go off like he did last year at home.  He has the ability to light anyone up if he gets hot.  He's averaging over 24 a game, but surprisingly his 3-PT % is just 31%.  He's shooting 92% at the line at has got there 97 times.

They are 3-14 and haven't won a true away game this year.  They beat UC-Irvine on a neutral site and beat So. IL Edwardsville & N. KY at home.  They have played a lot of good teams...Gonzaga, Clemson, NC State, Notre Dame, and Kent St.  They also played competitive games against MAC schools of Toledo & Ohio.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Detroit MBB game
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 04:08:36 PM »
Another sloppy, scrappy game. But a W is a W!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 04:29:40 PM »
We made the last shot and they didn’t . It was an ugly win. We could have put them away and we didn’t. They got back into it when Acuchie missed that dunk.
We need to learn to defend better against the big guy down low and do not foul the 3 point shooter.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 04:36:13 PM »
We did play strong, tough defense for about 80% of the game.  Lapses down the stretch and unforced turnovers almost did us in.  After what we endured for the better part of three decades, this year's team give us little cause for complaint.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 05:10:27 PM »
First time in a very long time, these guys play like a team, both offensively and defensively. Their effort was most impressive on the offensive board for the last few minutes of this game.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 08:34:50 PM »
Our zone offense was pretty bad.   Might be the worst passing I've seen. Not just talking about turnovers but on Detroit's zone the passes were not getting to the shooting pocket.
Did not think Detroit was a good team though they were athletic .  I was waiting for a YSU run that never happened.  Detroit's big man that looked like an unemployed truck driver was killing us.  Need more Jamir Thomas who did play well.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 10:28:02 PM »
I agree with all of these comments.  You just always think once in awhile they'll control one of these Horizon League games when they are the much better team, but it just doesn't happen. Horizon League games are always tough and a lot of times ugly.  I said earlier in the season that the defensive we were playing would allow us to win a lot of these games that we would have lost in the past.  We're probably sitting at 2-3 or worse in years past.

When Akuchie missed that dunk I had flashbacks back to the Oakland game when they missed a huge dunk.   Those type of plays can change the game.  Oakland makes that dunk and they have all the momentum & probably win without a doubt.  Akuchie makes that and it might have sealed the game.  Such a momentum change.  I thought if they lose, that's what's going to stand out. 

The turnovers were concerning especially when there was some real bad ones and some that stopped what I felt were runs coming and a chance to go up bigger and take control.  There was some opportunities early on to really stretch out that lead.  Once they got it down under 6 and how the 2nd half started you just knew it was going down to the end.

I was a little disappointed in the offensive rebounds for much of the game, but boy YSU really went at it in that last possession & that won them the game. 

It was good to see Devin heat up and make shots.  Really need him down the stretch.  Bentley is impressive at times, but other games seems to turn the ball over too much and struggles shooting.  I'm surprised Foster doesn't get more mins here and there.  Thomas played a very nice game after struggling for awhile.  Need more of him, especially in a game like this.  I just can't figure out Ola.  It's like when he gets the ball he doesn't know what to do with it like he freezes up or just tries to get it out of his hands real fast.  He was wide open under the hoop that one time and I have no idea what he tried to do.  I don't understand at times why some of our big guys can't go up with 2 hands and slam it.

But like it was said a W is a W in Horizon League games as a L would have been really heartbreaking in a game like that.  If YSU can get at least one next week to go 5-2 and come back home for 5 straight against teams they can beat they will be looking pretty good to keep stacking wins.

The last 2 games have had good crowds and good atmospheres that I think lifted YSU over the top.  I really think getting more non-conference home games and going undefeated at Beeghly then playing WVU like they did really turned things around and gave fans hope.

It really seems like this is a tight-knit group that really plays together as a team.  There's lots of love for each other and not a lot of frustration shown like in years past.  Coach really has them believing and it's great to see him really embrace the team during and after the games.   

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Detroit MBB game -Tribune article
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 07:06:18 AM »