Author Topic: Football vs. SIU: In Game Thread  (Read 28725 times)

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Football vs. SIU: In Game Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2016, 01:14:15 PM »
Rivers hurt his ankle in NDSU game and expects it to be 100% next week. :)

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2016, 01:50:02 PM »
what was the attendance.  announced attendance and actual attendance

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2016, 02:01:40 PM »
11,262 announced ...7k would be generous ...probably 6k. Then again I do forget about the visitors side.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2016, 02:07:44 PM »
IAA I agree. If we get to the post season, we need much higher attendance. It would reflect badly on us otherwise. However, I do think that even being the weekend of Thanksgiving we would have higher attendance in playoffs. I would be one less person however, because despite being there yesterday, I can't come to a home playoff game the week of thanksgiving. I work 12 hour night shifts Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Unless it was a 12pm kickoff (doubtful considering it will be a playoff game), I would not be able to make a home playoff game the week of thanksgiving  :'(

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2016, 02:22:34 PM »
Ohio St. and Michigan kickoff at noon..Hopefully if we get a home playoff game they schedule it later in the day

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2016, 05:50:33 PM »
Heard 4:00 home game if we win - most likely St. Francis.

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2016, 06:22:14 PM »
Ohio St. and Michigan kickoff at noon..Hopefully if we get a home playoff game they schedule it later in the day

Have the game at noon or 1, screw osu/mich. Worry more about playing with the sun and maybe a little warmer. Earlier game would also be nicer for the St Francis fans as they make their drive home. How many folks are going to watch the mich game and then say, heck lets get all dressed up and go see YSU?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2016, 07:50:53 PM »
any thoughts why attendance is so poor.  I know the older folks have passed or quit going but you need younger families to  replace them. that is not happening.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2016, 11:56:40 PM »
Here is some information that supports the fact that Montgomery does not make halftime adjustments.

http://thesouthern.com/sports/defensive-adjustments-open-door-for-saluki-offense/article_84e6d3f2-1f55-5850-845e-bfecae09ba66.html
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:06:25 AM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2016, 09:16:01 AM »
Here is some information that supports the fact that Montgomery does not male halftime adjustments.

http://thesouthern.com/sports/defensive-adjustments-open-door-for-saluki-offense/article_84e6d3f2-1f55-5850-845e-bfecae09ba66.html

Untrue ...completely false. Do you look at what we do on offense? All that articles says is (paraphrase) ...hey we did not stack the front the entire first half so we are going to put 10 in the box in the second half because they torched us on the ground in the first half. Heck every other team did this in the first quarter. I mean tell us Power ...in the year 2016 who makes halftime adjustments anymore...St. Christine Crusaders? You wait until half ...you lost the game. Montgomery has never made so many adjustments before ...and I do not mean that in a good way, as he is obviously compensating for weaknesses in personnel.

I mean SIU adjusted in the second period, so coach M went into a pass offense. You remember it was the series where we were hit on back-to-back holding. We came out in the second half in a power set with Shane and Martin ..when have we ever done that before? You can say it was a halftime adjustment, but is was not. Montgomery would have made that adjustment at any time in the game it was needed. The only reason he did not do it when SIU began stacking the box (Q2) is because there was only 53-seconds left on the clock, so we went with our minute offense and drove to the 18 ... missed wide right. None the less Montgomery knew what was coming on our next offensive series, which is why we hit them with a power set on the first drive of the half. Ruiz and Kunz When did we ever do that to open a half of football?

Then SIU pulled one man over (very nicely I might add) in an attempt to stop us from sweeping with Townsend and hitting Webb in space. Then Montgomery countered it by a delayed hand-off to Webb, sweeping Townsend. He did it again and the second time Webb crossed up the middle and Wells hit him with a beautiful pass over the middle. Caught SIU's interior off guard as they were shifting to cover another sweep.

Heck SIU got just over 3/4 of their offense in the second half. Are we going to say that this is proof that coach Carl does not make adjustments at the half? No, the fair thing is to say that SIU went into WVU mode and our secondary could not handle Straub's deep pass ability. #17 was a stud. Solid speed, great size and hands. A TE that plays a WR roll. They caught our weaknesses, just as we caught theirs.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2016, 12:09:39 PM »

Have the game at noon or 1, screw osu/mich. Worry more about playing with the sun and maybe a little warmer. Earlier game would also be nicer for the St Francis fans as they make their drive home. How many folks are going to watch the mich game and then say, heck lets get all dressed up and go see YSU?

If they do that, they'll be lucky to have 5,000 show up.  It wouldn't be enough to even cover the bid.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2016, 12:45:42 PM »
they could let them sit anywhere they want, that way the tv camera could show a full section
The MAC does not set the world on fire with attendance.   those Tuesday/Wednesday games do not help their attendance.  I imagine they make money form ESPN.  :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:51:29 PM by YSU1 »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2016, 03:56:47 PM »
they could let them sit anywhere they want, that way the tv camera could show a full section
The MAC does not set the world on fire with attendance.   those Tuesday/Wednesday games do not help their attendance.  I imagine they make money form ESPN.  :)

I am told by some Kent people that they like the W-Th games if they are at home as the fans like to be on TV & they turn out for it. So I wonder what do their Saturday's look like?  :)

This is coming though. ESPN has that 6-game Friday night deal with Big-10 vs PAC-10 coming soon. Too bad as I was hoping Friday nights might go to FCS ...but I do not see anyone skipping a HS game in Ytown.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 03:59:26 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2016, 09:07:45 PM »

If they do that, they'll be lucky to have 5,000 show up.  It wouldn't be enough to even cover the bid.

If the weather is halfway decent more like 10 - 13 or more but even at your number so be it,
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne