Author Topic: YSU to play Pitt in 2015 and 2017  (Read 27034 times)

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU to play Pitt in 2015 and 2017
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 04:09:12 PM »
Heacock won a lot of game in 2006 on a budget meant for an FCS program in 1994. Like it or not, Heacock was a very solid head coach. Going by his winning % he's the 2nd best coach in school history (not counting two year Dempsey).
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 05:48:17 PM »
AGREE!!!!!

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 11:45:26 PM »
Heacock was handed a championship program from Tressel and proceeded to make the playoffs ONCE in NINE years. If that's the definition of a solid head coach, then let's get him into the football hall of fame pronto.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 07:37:37 AM »
Heacock was handed a championship program from Tressel and proceeded to make the playoffs ONCE in NINE years. If that's the definition of a solid head coach, then let's get him into the football hall of fame pronto.
Thank You! Heacock was as mediocre as they come. The massive decline of this program in the early 2000s says it all.

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 08:54:15 AM »
For the sake of YSU's athletic future, the idolization of Jim Tressel has got to stop at some point i would think.  There is no comparison of heacock to tressel...because heacock was never the AD.  period.   Notice that the AD football HC combination doesn't happen anymore once money became the soul motivator of an Athletic Department.  The conflict of interest is way too great.  Sure Heacock took over a championship program, with 1/20th of the control Tressel had.  Tressel himself was a unique man, his position was even more unique. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 09:00:34 AM »

Eric Wolford's failure in no way, shape, or form vindicates Jon Heacock.  Wolford's failure is an indictment against the one guy who is the common denominator for both men.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 09:01:03 AM »

Jon Heacock is the unluckiest coach in YSU history. Got SCREWED out of the playoffs in 2001 after almost pulling the biggest upset in college football (at the time) at #23 Marshall. Got screwed in 2005.

Turned the football over 5 times against UNI in 2006, costing them the #2 overall seed in the NCAA play-offs.

Had one of the most injury plagued year in 2007, and still finished with a 7-4 record. Remember they lost to #1 UNI that year by one point.

Say what you want about Heacock, I;m just going by the facts. He's one of the best coaches (winning percentage, total wins) in YSU history.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 09:59:09 AM »

Jon Heacock is the unluckiest coach in YSU history. Got SCREWED out of the playoffs in 2001 after almost pulling the biggest upset in college football (at the time) at #23 Marshall. Got screwed in 2005.

Turned the football over 5 times against UNI in 2006, costing them the #2 overall seed in the NCAA play-offs.

Had one of the most injury plagued year in 2007, and still finished with a 7-4 record. Remember they lost to #1 UNI that year by one point.

Say what you want about Heacock, I;m just going by the facts. He's one of the best coaches (winning percentage, total wins) in YSU history.
And in another unlucky note,  if I could have just changed 5 numbers, I would have hit the Mega Millions

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 10:24:58 AM »
Anyone else starting to think jjysuwin is heacock' s whipping boy???

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 11:36:14 AM »
I could care less about his winning percentage... ONE playoff appearance his whole career says it all. Decimated the program that Wolf is trying to rebuild

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 12:05:18 PM »
I could care less about his winning percentage... ONE playoff appearance his whole career says it all. Decimated the program that Wolf is trying to rebuild

Although I completely disagree that coach H was handed a "title on a platter" ...I agree with what you are saying 0505, but the key word is "trying". Why are we more willing to accept coach H, than we are coach W's attempts to rebuild? The difference is simple. Coach H played a style of football that we all know & love. With that, you are more apt to accept sub-par performance levels. Coach W, on the other hand, is giving us a style of ball (especially defense) that is not near & dear to the Ytown smash-mouth mentality. As a result, we are not willing to accept it unless we win. Coach T & coach H knew the fan mentality ...coach W has yet to "get it". I have said it before, but one more time ..."coach W, this is Youngstown, where it truly is 'how you play the game'. So if you choose to play a different style of ball ...you damn-well better win".

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 02:17:02 PM »
Problem with heacock and wolford is is that they are defensive and offensive coordinators. Neither has what it takes to be a head coach. If heacock was our d coordinator and wolford the o cootdinator and we could find a head coach then we may have something.
How long of an extension did wolf get? Why are these deals done so secretly?(slocums extension was done quietly also)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 02:53:56 PM »
Problem with heacock and wolford is is that they are defensive and offensive coordinators. Neither has what it takes to be a head coach. If heacock was our d coordinator and wolford the o cootdinator and we could find a head coach then we may have something.
How long of an extension did wolf get? Why are these deals done so secretly?(slocums extension was done quietly also)

Wolf did not get an extension. He still has 1 more year remaining on his original contract.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »
dana balash made is sound as though an extension is imminent by saying stroll expects wolf to be around for a long time. I assumed by strollo's statement that this meant wolf either already has been told he will get an extension or he will be offered an extension sometime soon.

or is stroll going to wait and see what happens after next season? dana balash's reporting needs to be more clear. details??

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 03:21:49 PM »

And in another unlucky note,  if I could have just changed 5 numbers, I would have hit the Mega Millions

IP - I respect many of your opinions. Even when I don't agree with you I still read and respect what you have to say, because you are one of the actual few intelligent message board posters here.

But you have to admit, if the play-off system now, were set up like it was now during the Heacock era, JH would still be our head coach, and have at least four play-off appearances. You can help but say he was very unlucky.