Author Topic: Should YSU be an FCS independent?  (Read 18345 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Should YSU be an FCS independent?
« on: November 14, 2013, 09:11:20 PM »
The MVFC is the SEC of the FCS, and if YSU is to be in an FCS conference, than that seems to be the right choice.  However, does membership in such a dominant conference translate into higher rankings due to higher SOS?  I would argue no, as YSU drops to 15th in the Coach's Poll after only one MVFC loss and a loss to Big Ten power Michigan State.  Fordham slips by Patriot teams repeatedly and is ranked 5th.  Does MVFC membership translate into favorable consideration by the playoff selection committee?  I think the record since Tressel left would suggest not. 

So why then, is YSU incurring huge travel expenses flying to remote locations that few fans care about, and of which we derive little, if any benefit?

What if YSU once again became an FCS independent?  What if we scheduled local FBS teams that would renew old rivalries, such as Akron and Kent State, particularly since the Big 10 is phasing out FCS money games?  There is much discussion about joining the MAC.  We could schedule 2 MAC teams a year, and at least have a MAC connection.  How much would that save in travel expenses?

YSU could still schedule MVFC teams, or CAA teams, or Big Sky teams.  Personally, I would enjoy seeing YSU rekindle the Delaware rivalry, or have another throw down with JMU. I think the lowly attendance figures would improve with opponents that YSU fans get hyped about, especially if we start clobbering 'em again.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Should YSU be an FCS independent?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:22:23 PM »
You may run into a problem scheduling games in the later part of the season as many schools schedule their non-conf. games first thing.  I wouldn't say that most fans don't care about the away games, but they are a heck of a drive.  I believe Indiana State is the closest ~ 4 hrs. away.

Anything to boost interest and attendance.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:34:53 PM »
The MVFC is the SEC of the FCS, and if YSU is to be in an FCS conference, than that seems to be the right choice.  However, does membership in such a dominant conference translate into higher rankings due to higher SOS?  I would argue no, as YSU drops to 15th in the Coach's Poll after only one MVFC loss and a loss to Big Ten power Michigan State.  Fordham slips by Patriot teams repeatedly and is ranked 5th.  Does MVFC membership translate into favorable consideration by the playoff selection committee?  I think the record since Tressel left would suggest not. 

So why then, is YSU incurring huge travel expenses flying to remote locations that few fans care about, and of which we derive little, if any benefit?

What if YSU once again became an FCS independent?  What if we scheduled local FBS teams that would renew old rivalries, such as Akron and Kent State, particularly since the Big 10 is phasing out FCS money games?  There is much discussion about joining the MAC.  We could schedule 2 MAC teams a year, and at least have a MAC connection.  How much would that save in travel expenses?

YSU could still schedule MVFC teams, or CAA teams, or Big Sky teams.  Personally, I would enjoy seeing YSU rekindle the Delaware rivalry, or have another throw down with JMU. I think the lowly attendance figures would improve with opponents that YSU fans get hyped about, especially if we start clobbering 'em again.

Kent and Akron want nothing to do with YSU. It's the truth, we are having a hard time scheduling 1 money game now.... I don't see it happening.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:47:44 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 09:42:37 PM »
I thought someone in Youngstown interviewed the Mac Commish about YSU joining the MAC and he said: "in a short answer - NO"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 09:51:02 PM »

Kent and Akron want nothing to do with YSU. It's the truth, we are having a hard time scheduling 1 money game now.... I don't see it happening.

Even if that is true (and it probably is), but we could still play other Ohio MAC schools and still have more fan interest and lower travel expenses.

The last year YSU was a 1AA independent was 1996, and we played a combo of MAC teams such as Kent, and Buffalo (not yet in the MAC), MVFC schools, Hofstra, and Wofford.  In 1995, we played 4 current MAC teams, MVFC and CAA schools (Delaware), McNeese, and SFA.  Exciting and competitive opponents....and we wouldn't have to travel to Fargo for two straight years...thanks Patty!

We made it work then.  We can make it work now.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Spiderlegs

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 10:00:44 PM »
To do this, YSU would be filling in its schedule with other FCS independents, none of which are in this region. Hard to see how this would save travel expenses, and this would decrease schedule quality. However, trading one of the weak games on the schedule for a game with a MAC team would be an improvement over scheduling teams like Morehead St or Duquesne.  Everyone assumes a MAC opponent would be Kent or Akron, but YSU could play one of the Michigan schools, which would be less threatened in their recruiting if YSU won.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 10:10:01 PM »
There is always Notre Dame  :o

Spiderlegs

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 10:17:43 PM »
Starting in 2014, Notre Dame will be playing five ACC schools per year, and it may be reducing or even dropping its Big 10 contracts. It has already dropped Michigan after next season.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 10:42:34 PM »
Common sense is lacking in this discussion.

Can anyone tell me the last independent to qualify for the FCS playoffs?

How many independents have qualified since YSU joined the Gateway?

Who was the last independent to win the FCS championship?

There are very few non conference games between top FCS teams.  Teams like Delaware, Montana, etc are not about to step out of their conference schedule to play YSU in late October or November.

There is a reason the only Independent FCS schools are those with new programs.  YSU trying to go independent would be a death sentence for the football program. 

MAC teams are not coming here. No way, no how.  And they don't have room to play on the schedule in late October or November.  Tell me the last MAC team to play at a FCS school.

You can wish YSU in to the MAC or out of the MVFC all you want, but its not happening unless there is a seismic change in the NCAA.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 11:24:18 PM »
Indy, there you go again....shattering all these fantasies with cold, hard facts.  I bet that you rejected Santa Claus by age 3. ::)

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 01:49:58 AM »
Don't runaway!!!   Boooo. Lol

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 07:08:52 AM »
The real issue is lack of respect by TSN voters.  If you look at the number of voters by conference it would appear the the MVFC has one more voter than the CAA, but when you count the extra votes from TSN sports writers the the CAA and all other Eastern teams in a radius starting in Philadelphia get 4 extra voters.

Go and look at the current article written by TSN and you will see how they actually wrote and that the CAA is a tough and Deep conference. The National Poll is further biased because these boobs don't travel West of PA much.

At the end of the day, the poll is not supposed to determine weather a team make the playoffs or not. The selection committee is supposed to look at number of div 1 wins, the record od the teams that you played make also come into play here, and finally losses at the end of the year. For instance if you lost 3 in a row, they make take another team over you.

The issue is that the CAA has historically gotten more teams each year. One time the MVFC got 5, but the CAA has done it multple times. In 2005 we were left out and Lafatette was taken over us and we had 8 wins.

I believe the poll has a subliminal influence to many on the selection committee.   I personally feel that TSN poll should be used to wipe your ass.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 07:15:09 AM »
Common sense is lacking in this discussion.

There are very few non conference games between top FCS teams.  Teams like Delaware, Montana, etc are not about to step out of their conference schedule to play YSU in late October or November.

The Griz traveled to USD November 9th.

From 1989-1994, YSU entered the post-season every year as an independent.

No doubt it would have its challenges, as well as it's rewards.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 07:20:26 AM »
No.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 08:07:24 AM »
Don't runaway!!!   Boooo. Lol

Are the Bison gonna runaway....to the FBS?  If they do, then YSU is in a conference with a power ranking that drops below the Big Sky, CAA, and maybe even Southern.