Author Topic: WBB Season  (Read 3282 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
WBB Season
« on: November 05, 2013, 11:32:02 AM »
The YSU women start the season at home Saturday vs VCU! High expectations for Coach Barnes and company.... Team should have great depth and size. Starts with Xavier transfer Latisha Walker who's 6-2 and Schlegel who's 6-0. Add in Karen Flagg who's 6-0 and the freshman from Sweeden Roflund who's 6-3 and there's a lot of potential here. I'm interested to see what the starting lineup is. Northern Illinois transfer Janae Jackson who sat out last year tore her ACL so she's out for the season. Still have Hornberger, Touvelle, Davis and Thompson in the back court. With Barger and Newman off the bench. Should be ready to compete for a league championship!!! Thoughts for this year????

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: WBB Season
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »
Indications are that recruiting is going very well, but let's not place unreasonable expectations upon John Barnes.  New coach.  New system.  No Brandi Brown.  I am very anxious to witness his first game on Saturday.  I like the fact that he stresses defense (are you listening, Eric) and that he has head coaching experience, very successful experience, on the DII level. 

ValleyTalk

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 06:07:05 PM »
Indications are that recruiting is going very well, but let's not place unreasonable expectations upon John Barnes.  New coach.  New system.  No Brandi Brown.  I am very anxious to witness his first game on Saturday.  I like the fact that he stresses defense (are you listening, Eric) and that he has head coaching experience, very successful experience, on the DII level.
Heard the men and women had very successful scrimmages a couple weeks back. The men vs. Bucknell and the women vs. Niagara.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 07:32:37 PM »
I also hope the women do well, but I think it is fair to moderate expectations in year one. I think Barnes has higher expectations for performance than his predecessor, but it's not clear to me that the women as team have enough athleticism to perform up to his expectations.  My guess is it will take three or four years to build a team that is a powerhouse.  The recruiting seems to be in line for this possibility. I'll take anything that comes earlier as a gift.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 09:15:58 PM »
It might take some time for the offense to get clicking but this team should finish no worse than 4th or 5th.