Author Topic: Youngstown State vs. Illinois State (Night Game)  (Read 12840 times)

ValleyTalk

Youngstown State vs. Illinois State (Night Game)
« on: October 06, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
Kudos to Ron Strollo for scheduling a night game. Despite some people complaining about them, I recall some great crowds and outstanding games at night in the past, i.e. UNI last year and James Madison in 2007. Although a giant cold front will plow through tonight and cool us off this week, the weather a week out looks very good! Per the National Weather Service, the forecast is 73 and SUNNY for Saturday! The game will also be State Farm Kids Day should a big crowd should be in store.

This is what Youngstown wanted.... a winner. We come home 5-1 after starting the league portion of our schedule 2-0 on the road. We have won 9 straight FCS games dating back to last year and our team is beginning to believe they have a team that can be in the top 3 in the league and make the playoffs.

Illinois State rolls into town 2-3 on the year. They are nowhere near as good as last year, but still are a formidable opponent that can go after our weak pass defense. They got killed this year by a very good Eastern Illinois team, a weak Ball State, and a bad Missouri State team. They responded this week with a 35-21 win over Western Illinois.

This is a game we need to win and should win by double-digits. Hopefully the athletic department does their job and gets a huge crowd for this one.

As easy as our schedule is, we are still favored to win the next 3 games before heading into the UNI Dome the 2nd weekend of November. Although they own us in the series, we have played them very tough in the UNI Dome in the past, so all hope is not lost.

However, let's focus on the task at hand. Hope to see 17-18k on hand and a YSU 38-21 win!

GO YSU!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Youngstown State vs. Illinois State (Night Game)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 12:09:47 PM »
Tailgate time!!!!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 01:31:59 PM »
My group loves night games.  Honestly, I have few acquaintances that complain about them.  Most of the complaints I hear are about the 4:00 starts that collide with family-oriented functions.

Ball State is not weak.  They are 5-1 with the last victories coming against Toledo and Virginia.  They did put 51 on Illinois State in Muncie.  Illinois State has been awful in their three road games to date.  Let us hope that the trend continues.

Anybody want to see more of Ruiz and Webb together in the same backfield?  Those two, along with Stubbs at flanker, would seem to present overwhelming matchup problems for a defense.  Of course, it only works if Ruiz and Webb can protect Hess when we throw downfield from that formation.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 01:50:25 PM »
Love night games. And yes Wick. Webb and Ruiz in the same backfield is dangerous for defenses. As long as they protect Kurt lol

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 01:58:13 PM »
Kudos to Ron Strollo for scheduling a night game. Despite some people complaining about them, I recall some great crowds and outstanding games at night in the past, i.e. UNI last year and James Madison in 2007. Although a giant cold front will plow through tonight and cool us off this week, the weather a week out looks very good! Per the National Weather Service, the forecast is 73 and SUNNY for Saturday! The game will also be State Farm Kids Day should a big crowd should be in store.

This is what Youngstown wanted.... a winner. We come home 5-1 after starting the league portion of our schedule 2-0 on the road. We have won 9 straight FCS games dating back to last year and our team is beginning to believe they have a team that can be in the top 3 in the league and make the playoffs.

Illinois State rolls into town 2-3 on the year. They are nowhere near as good as last year, but still are a formidable opponent that can go after our weak pa$$ defense. They got killed this year by a very good Eastern Illinois team, a weak Ball State, and a bad Missouri State team. They responded this week with a 35-21 win over Western Illinois.

This is a game we need to win and should win by double-digits. Hopefully the athletic department does their job and gets a huge crowd for this one.

As easy as our schedule is, we are still favored to win the next 3 games before heading into the UNI Dome the 2nd weekend of November. Although they own us in the series, we have played them very tough in the UNI Dome in the past, so all hope is not lost.

However, let's focus on the task at hand. Hope to see 17-18k on hand and a YSU 38-21 win!

GO YSU!

I agree. Night games are absolutley the best!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 02:30:05 PM »
i fit in there wick. I prefer early or late 1p or 7p. I will take any :), as long as the guys are wearing red and have "Y" on their helmet.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 12:47:15 PM »
Redbirds lost quite a bit to graduation last spring.  As long as the Guins take care of the ball like they did against the trees, they should win by at least 2 touchdowns.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »
Illinois Sate QB leaves team....not a shock lost job to Freshman

http://sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4630095
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 11:16:58 AM by HappyPenguin »

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 12:30:28 PM »
The freshman played well last week, but was terrible the week before.  If the Guins avoid a letdown, I'll say 38-17.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 05:49:43 PM »
YSU has opened as an 11 1/2 point favorite

Spiderlegs

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 06:36:49 PM »
Illinois State is getting better, but so is YSU, and YSU is starting to look motivated.  Illinois St. defense may be underrated, but Hess's maturity will win out. YSU 27-17. 

I'm still concerned about the pass defense. Maybe we the fans need to do our part and get a bit more involved on 3rd down this week.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 08:04:24 PM »
Illinois State is getting better, but so is YSU, and YSU is starting to look motivated.  Illinois St. defense may be underrated, but Hess's maturity will win out. YSU 27-17. 

I'm still concerned about the pazz defense. Maybe we the fans need to do our part and get a bit more involved on 3rd down this week.
Illinois State is giving up 37 points per game... Nothing underrated about that, it is bad.

I am all about the crowd getting loud on 3rd down, but in the time Wolford has been here, it seems as though whether it is 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 10, the other team always finds a way to get the 1st down. Of course it doesn't always happen, but when we need a big 3rd down stop, it seems like it always happens.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 08:34:01 PM »
YSU has opened as an 11 1/2 point favorite
Quickly up to 13 1/2

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »
I just wanna see a big crowd!!! We're 5-1, night game, supposed to be good weather. Get people in the stands! I got my final score 38-20 YSU in control all the way.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 07:40:07 PM »
IP....would you keep updating on Friday, please.