Author Topic: Guins Part of Two Valley Football Produced Telecasts  (Read 3958 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Guins Part of Two Valley Football Produced Telecasts
« on: July 26, 2013, 05:15:30 PM »
The Youngstown State football team will appear on telecasts twice during the 2013 football season as part of the Missouri Valley Football Conference's television package. YSU's games at Southern Illinois and South Dakota will be televised.

The Penguins open MVFC play with a primetime tilt at Southern Illinois on Sept. 28. Kickoff for the game in Carbondale is set for 7 p.m. Eastern time. YSU's Nov. 2 contest at South Dakota is also part of the package. That contest at the Dakota Dome kicks off at 2 p.m. Eastern time.

Both contests will be picked up by ESPN3 and will air online via WatchESPN.com and tablets via the Watch ESPN app. Local coverage of both games will be announced in the near future.

Approximately 50 league games will air on a myriad of television networks during the 2013 season. Of those more than 40 games will air in conjunction with MVFC institutional packages.

The Penguins' contest at Michigan State will be carried on the Big Ten Network on Sept. 14. Kickoff at Spartan Stadium is set for 2 p.m.

Earlier this week, UNI announced plans to televise what could be a key contest with the Guins on Nov. 9 in Cedar Falls, Iowa. The game is begin carried live in the Des Moines, Iowa, and Cedar Rapids, Iowa areas. YSU is working to get that broadcast aired live in Youngstown as well as the the Oct. 5 contest at Indiana State.

More details on the Penguins' home telecasts, both live and tape-delay, and on what channels YSU fans can view the two MVFC produced along with the road games at Indiana State and UNI will be released prior to the start of the campaign.

Season tickets for the 2013 campaign are on sale now by calling the YSU Athletic Ticket Office at (330) 941-1978.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Guins Part of Two Valley Football Produced Telecasts
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 05:17:27 PM »
Does anyone else feel that we do not receive our fair-share of home games covered by the conference. I figure it is either 1) We have other commitments, or 2) The conference just does not want to come here.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 03:52:38 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 01:11:33 PM »
We are a sixth place team in a ten team conference.  We were lucky to get those two games on the conference tv schedule.  To get preferential media coverage we must once again become an elite team.  Personally, the more road games that get on tv the better.  Being on tv at home while I am sitting in the stands does me no good.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »
I am ready for the team to start producing wins consistently. This is Wolford's team now. There aren't anymore tractors. There are no excuses for a defense that isn't at the top of the conference let alone the nation. I hope that Wolford has learned what we all know...Defense wins championships. The Bison look like the old Penguins on Defense. It would be great to be able to have that on display once again. I identify hard nosed defense with with Y-town and the local area.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 10:13:48 PM »
Power, right on the mark.  Remember how Tressel threw the ball all over the place during his first two seasons and how our defense did not scare anybody?  It took him several seasons to develop the formula that took us to the promised land.  From his comments, Wolford apparently understands that we are going nowhere until that defense becomes the premier element of our team.  We shall see. 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 07:18:52 AM »
Wick,

I remember that. Tressel  started in 86 correct?  We really didn't start making noise until what 1990?  We had the signature win over Ga Southern in 89 or 90?  And after that we were bad news to everyone. I don't remember what year that was, but that was when we alll knew that we had something special.

I thought we had the same thing happeneing when we beat NDSU at their dome, but then we regressed and lost so many games it kept us out of the playoffs.

I don't have any kind of feel for where we are 3 years into this.  I don't know if we are a top 25, top 15 top 10 or unranked. What I mena by that statement is what is the capability of this team?  We all know there is luck involved in games, but what is this team capable of doing in the area of leaving no doubt that they control the outcome of the game---that is what I want to know. I used to have a good feel for it. Even when Heacock was coaching, the team had the look of a playoff team in fall practice and I knew we would be going to the playoffs. 2006 was the last time the team had that look, however, at the time I did not realize that App state was so good and they used that WVU offense which was new at the time and blew us out.

Rambling on here a little, but where are we?  We cannot base where we are on last years players returning. This is an entirely different team, and we have lost a lot in my opinion.

Here is the other thing that bothers me. When Tressel and Heacock coached it seemed like it only took a couple of games before the defense settled in. I even remember Heacock saying that it doesn't take him long to get the defense ahead of the offense. This will be tresey's second year correct?  Well, I didn't see any improvment last year and he had a whole year. Making noise on 3rd down is not going to stop the other team.  I feel like that was what the formula was the last 2 years. Make noise on 3rd down. Why did we have a pass rush against NDSU and we couldn't reproduce that pass rush the rest of the year.

So what are the real expections of this team. I hear more ultimatums than I hear expectations. I agree that it has to be playoff or Wolford will be looking for a new job, but do we have the talent to get to playoffs or win a NC if the coaching is good enough?   

In reality the Pitt game was somewhat of a fluke because they had a new coach, a new system, they had turmoil, it was the first game and pitt was outcoached.  Do we have our signature win?  This is really messy and unpredictable to me.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:30:22 AM by penguinpower »