Author Topic: YSU to host game in CollegeInsider.com tournament  (Read 30388 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU to host game in CollegeInsider.com tournament
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:53:27 AM »
Congratulations to YSU for stepping up with the cash to host this game.

http://www.ysusports.com/sports/mbkb/2012-13/releases/20130311kb9ftw

Boston, Mass. -- The Youngstown State men's basketball team has accepted an invitation to play in the 2013 CollegeInsider.com Tournament (CIT), marking the school's first postseason tournament appearance since joining the NCAA Division I ranks in 1981-82.

The Penguins (17-15), who posted consecutive winning seasons for the first time since 1985, will host their historic game on Tuesday, March 19, at 7:05 p.m. at the Beeghly Center. The Penguins' opponent has not been determined.

Tickets for the postseason game are $10 for reserved and $7 for general admission. Youngstown State student tickets are free with a current and valid student ID.

Penguin Club members and season-ticket holders have until Friday, March 15, at 5 p.m. to purchase their tickets.

Head Coach Jerry Slocum, who has a 38-year career record of 672-475, said he was honored to have the ability to continue playing this season.

"I'm very excited for this opportunity to play in the CIT," Slocum said. "We are very proud of our program and our players to receive this opportunity to play in the postseason."

Youngstown State has not played in a postseason tournament since the 1976-77 NCAA Division II Tournament.

The CIT, which is in its fifth year, consists of 32 teams and 31 games played in the month of March. First-round games are March 19-20; second-round games will be played March 21-23; the quarterfinals will be held March 24-26; the semifinals are March 28-30; and the championship game is on April 2.

The CIT Championship Game will be broadcast live on CBS Sports Network on Tuesday, April 2.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU to host game in CollegeInsider.com tournament
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:17:28 AM »
Last year's participating teams.  this is a tournamnet for mid-majors and low majors.  Teams from the big BCS level conferences do not participate (I assume mostly because the NIT takes every one of them that is eligible).

FIRST ROUND

TUESDAY MARCH 13

Robert Morris 67, Indiana State 60    recap | box
Mercer 68, Tennessee State 60    recap | box
Old Dominion 68, Coastal Carolina 66    recap | box
Georgia State 74, Tennessee Tech 43    recap | box
Toledo 76, McNeese State 63    recap | box
Weber State 72, Utah Valley 69    recap | box
WEDNESDAY MARCH 14

Manhattan 89, Albany 79    recap | box
Fairfield 68, Yale 56    recap | box
Oakland 86, Bowling Green 69    recap | box
Buffalo 78, American 61    recap | box
Rice 68, UL-Lafayette 63    recap | box
Drake 70, North Dakota 64    recap | box
Utah State 75, CSU Bakersfield 69    recap | box
Idaho 86, UC Santa Barbara 83    recap | box
Loyola Marymount 88, Cal State Fullerton 79    recap | box
THURSDAY MARCH 15

USC Upstate 73, Kent State 58    recap | box
SECOND ROUND

SATURDAY MARCH 17

Robert Morris 69, Toledo 51    recap | box
Oakland 84, Buffalo 76    recap | box
Mercer 64, Georgia State 59    recap | box
Rice 74, Drake 68    recap | box
Utah State 76, Idaho 56    recap | box
SUNDAY MARCH 18

Old Dominion 65, USC Upstate 56    recap | box
Fairfield 69, Manhattan 57    recap | box
Loyola Marymount 84, Weber State 78 OT    recap | box
QUARTERFINALS

TUESDAY MARCH 20

Oakland 77, Rice 70    recap | box
WEDNESDAY MARCH 21

Fairfield 67, Robert Morris 61    recap | box
Mercer 79, Old Dominion 73    recap | box
Utah State 77, Loyola Marymount 69    recap | box
SEMIFINALS

SATURDAY MARCH 24

Mercer 65, Fairfield 59    recap | box
SUNDAY MARCH 25

Utah State 105, Oakland 81    recap | box
2012 CIT CHAMPIONSHIP
WEDNESDAY MARCH 28

Mercer 70, Utah State67

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 10:48:40 AM »
Never heard of this tournament..... Ever

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 11:27:59 AM »
If it is true that you have to buy your way into this tournament, what have you really earned. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 01:31:05 PM »
If it is true that you have to buy your way into this tournament, what have you really earned.

A team has to be invited to participate. Once invited, you bid on a home game. It is just like I-AA/FCS football. Teams from the Ivy and SWAC are invited almost every year to I-AA/FCS play-off ...they "choose" not to participate. YSU has to pay and guarantee ticket sales to host a football play-off game.  CIT is the same in basketball.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:38:20 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »
Never heard of this tournament..... Ever
Good. Stay home.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 01:44:54 PM »
I think we basketball fans owe Ron Strollo a debt of gratitude for this. For all of the flak he takes (which 95% of it he has no control over, i.e. budgetary problems), he has stepped up to the plate to do this. If nothing else, it gives the program a bit more visibility and that can only help. Those of you that want to criticize (and it's the same tired few over and over again), do everyone a favor and stay home and watch monster truck races. I think this is a good thing. Congrats to Mr. Strollo and the team for accomplishing this.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 02:12:57 PM »
This tournament seems to be the equivalent of those minor bowl football games that take the DI "pretenders" each December.  In the long term, playing in this often would not bestow much prestige on the program.  However, in the short term, playing in any kind of DI tournament for the first time ever is a very good thing.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 02:55:56 PM »
This is great unless nobody shows up for the game and we don't recoup the money we payed to host the event and we lose in the first round

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 04:44:34 PM »
Instead of blasting the program why don't you naysayers not show up for the game.  I am ecstatic about our basketball success this year.  Coach Slocum deserve this post season game(s) for the rewarding season they he and the team had.  This goes a long way for program recognition.  Go YSU!
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 05:14:54 PM »
UIC has accepted a bid as well and will host.

Interesting ABJ story today about Kent and basketball finances.  In the story, it indicated that the MAC helps pay the $35k fee for the hosting schools (but Kent did not pony up their share last year).  I wonder if the Horizon League is helping with any of the costs for UIC and YSU

http://www.ohio.com/sports/kent-state/marla-ridenour-ksu-basketball-might-soon-get-financial-attention-it-deserves-1.380404#.UT9PZU5RIgi.twitter

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 05:52:50 PM »
I like it, helps the program, helps YSU, I will be there.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 06:57:16 PM »
Thanks 1-AA for explaining how this works.  Glad YSU got invited.  Good for Eargle and Allen they get to play at least one more game!  Hope we go a long way in this tourney!

Lets_Talk

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 09:32:36 PM »
I do not live anywhere close to Ohio or Ytown any longer, so telling me not to come to this game is not necessary.  ;D

With Coach Slocum trying to build a program, appearing in any post season tournamentt can be a good thing for recruiting. Really have to question though if a team with a 14-15 record against D1 opponents and RPI of 187 is deserving of playing in a post season tournament. Same with UIC(16-15 against D1 and RPI of 171).But, YSU was invited, and I do not blame the program for accepting the invitation. Hopefully they get a good crowd and win a few games, as that might help with recruiting.

Here is an honest question about the money for hosting a home game. Why is it when we discuss the OOC home schedules, we get told YSU does not have the money to play quality mid-major teams at home? Yet, now there is money to play in a post season tournament most people have never heard of, and which is likely going to be a very hard sale in terms of getting people to the game? I think this is a fair question.

It is not my money, so it is no skin off my back how much YSU pays to be in this game. Just curious why lack of money is often used as an excuse to play 2 or 3 teams from D3 in the regular season, but now YSU is going to have the money to pay $25,000-$35,000 for a home game in this tournament. If the HL is paying the fee, then that is a different story. Just hard to see this game drawing much more than 2,000 fans.

My opinion is a regular season game against a quality opponent from the MAC, MVC, A10 or a similar type conference would draw much better than a game in this tournament. Would also help YSU's RPI and better prepare the team for HL play. Again, just an opinion and some questions. Please refrain from childish responses and name calling in your responses.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:51:55 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 10:40:21 PM »
I think Indy might have something with his theory that the Horizon League will pay a portion of the guarantee.  While watching an out-of-town Horizon game on the internet, one of the announcers stated that the league was paying each school for one flight to a league basketball game.  So that might be part of the distribution of the NCAA tournament money.  Paying fees for tournaments like this might be another form of distribution.