Author Topic: Mark Mangino Joins Staff  (Read 18440 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Mark Mangino Joins Staff
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:49:36 AM »
Former Kansas head coach Mark Mangino has been hired as Assistabt Head Coach, Tight Ends coach and will also serve as recruiting coordinator. This is a nice hire. Will definitely help right away.

http://www.ysusports.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/20130301ye594k
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:51:35 AM by ysufan0505 »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Mark Mangino Joins Staff
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:48:33 AM »
Nice Pick-up. I suspect he may move up, or on, quickly ...but nice hire.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 01:16:21 PM »
Assistant coaches come and go, and I usually don't get too excited by the additions or the subtractions.  However, Mangino is the exception.  I can think of three ways that he helps us immediately.

First, having him serve as the recruiting coordinator is very significant.  While head coach at Kansas, he had to lure good big time talent to a school with no football tradition and bad facilities relative to the conference.  Here at YSU, he just needs to help Wolford recruit good FCS talent to a school with a strong tradition and a stadium/training facility combination that is unmatched for our level.

Second, although YSU sits just a few miles from the Pennsylvania border, we have in the past ignored it as if that boundary was the freakin' Berlin Wall.  Fortunately, Wolford has recruited western Pennsylvania aggressively.  Mangino is a legend across the border.  His presence, along with the victory at Pittsburgh, gives our football program perhaps unprecedented visibility in western Pennsylvania.

Third, MAC coaches continually lie to recruits and their families.  They insist that FCS football is small time while MAC football, because it offers the maximum number of scholarships and sends teams to the Clorox Toilet Bowl, represents big time football.  Now Mangino, a former BSC national coach of the year, can sit in living rooms and tell families the truth, perhaps using language similar to a zinger in a vice-presidential debate many years ago.  He can say, "I know big time football, and the MAC is not big time football."

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 02:05:28 PM »
great hire...!!.....will be a very entertaining year....

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 03:38:30 PM »
 ??? This was the hire I was looking for 4 years ago  ::)

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 03:41:59 PM »
Nice points Wick
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Sid

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 04:40:52 PM »
No doubt he will fit in perfectly with the rest of the regime!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 08:00:58 PM »
What Mangino can also help with is winning without as much talent, which isn't an issue here, but something he proved at Kansas.  He was a successful head coach at Kansas and he can help us out significantly here.  This is a fantastic hire.

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 11:30:06 PM »
First off none of Mangino's "intangibles" makes what we have better football players.    You can recruit all you want but if you cant make players buy in,  its the same ole song and dance.   

As far as the MAC lying?  whatever makes you sleep at night.   NIU got a payout the likes of which 1AA will NEVER see, and Kent State got exposure that YSU will never get again.  period.   Compared to the SEC the MAC is nothing...Compared to FCS the MAC is Varsity to Jr Varsity.   

This Mangino hire....From the way it seems Wolford runs things and some rumblings of past coaches,  I cannot see Mangino being subservient in his new "assistant" role,  I'm willing to bet it wont be long before they are warring and split the team in two.

The most important thing now is,  There's no more excuses.  It would be very interesting to know where we came up with the money for an "extra" coach of this magnitude, from a program that is always "strapped for cash".   

Just more chicanery in my opinion.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
Discman,

I have been a member of this forum for over 15 years, and I have read some silly things.  But your comment "compared to FCS the MAC is Varsity to jr. Varsity" really stands out.  What you MAC worshipers don't comprehend is this fact: no one is denying that each year the MAC produces two or three good football teams that are competitive nationally.  But a conference has a top and a bottom.  And each year the MAC bottom stinks.  Are you seriously prepared to argue that teams like Akron and Eastern Michigan could stay on the field with the elite of FCS?  If that is not the case, your argument dissolves into the wind.

Did you also know that over the last decade the Horizon League has consistently been ranked higher in basketball rpi than the MAC?  This year, without Butler, the Horizon League is still 12 while the MAC is 17, according to the rpi from CBS sports.  On the women's side, Horizon League teams have won 16 and lost 7 to MAC opponents this season.

Believe whatever you want, but don't expect ridiculous statements to go unchallenged.

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 12:36:48 PM »
wick,

Take Butler out of that equation and your "last decade" argument falls apart, and no one cares about women's basketball unless your Baylor, Uconn, ND, or Tennessee, sad fact but true.   As this reply, and thread i believe were about football i will stick to that point.

I don't CARE about the bottom of the MAC.  My Varsity to Jr. Varsity comment remains valid because every varsity team has players that don't see the field, just like the bottom of the MAC.  My point is the MAC's best will outclass the FCS best EVERYTIME.   who cares about the worst???  That's a huge part of Youngstown's problem, there seems to be alot of concern about being king of Jr. Varsity, and that the whole point of being the best PERIOD, has been lost. 

The simple fact is the best in the MAC get PAYOUTS, the rest of the league get payouts as well,  on a scale not known on the FCS level.  So as far as the statement of

"He can say, "I know big time football, and the MAC is not big time football."

you mentioned in your earlier post.  Mangino may know big time football, but are you suggesting that HE now lie and say the FCS is "big-time football".   

Look your hatred of the MAC is clear, and im willing to bet you think that YSU "belongs" in the MAC,  maybe when the MAC was down and tressel was still around.   But its a different time, and the MAC has forged ahead.  So feel free to think somethings are ridiculous, pragmatically they are true.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 12:55:56 PM »
How many games has Akron won in football the last couple years???..... They are beyond horrible!..... Not saying YSU belongs in the MAC but they can definitely beat some of the teams in there

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »
Discman. We belong in the MAC more now than ever, although that will not be the case soon. Look at how much Marshall dominated the MAC, and cried because a plane crash would not bring them the respect of the Mountaineers in their home state. Now they are nothing in a nothing conference.

Now look at Appy State. They beat the worst Michigan team that will EVER take the field in my lifetime ...and they are still talked about. Now we can beat Michigan State next year, Illinois the next, and OSU in '15 ...and no one will care. except for the fans of those teams.

Valpo was the first mbb "Cinderella" and the one everyone remembers, there are no others. if you are in i-aa/fcs for recognition ...forget it.

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 06:10:25 PM »
IAA,  Marshall joined the MAC after two consecutive years of going to the National Championship game and winning the National Championship in 96.  They came into a weak MAC conference where Toledo was the only good team.  This was almost 20 years ago now.  The fact that they are nothing now shows how weak the MAC conference they entered really was then.  MAC champions 5 out of 6 straight years, then 2 years later over conference USA into oblivion within a decent football conference.   Now almost 20 years later after Marshall's switch, and the last  championship we went to was 14 years ago.   Now more than ever?  I cant see that one.

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 09:17:44 PM »
Discman. We belong in the MAC more now than ever, although that will not be the case soon. Look at how much Marshall dominated the MAC, and cried because a plane crash would not bring them the respect of the Mountaineers in their home state. Now they are nothing in a nothing conference.

Now look at Appy State. They beat the worst Michigan team that will EVER take the field in my lifetime ...and they are still talked about. Now we can beat Michigan State next year, Illinois the next, and OSU in '15 ...and no one will care. except for the fans of those teams.

Valpo was the first mbb "Cinderella" and the one everyone remembers, there are no others. if you are in i-aa/fcs for recognition ...forget it.

Ok, no doubt Appy St beating Michigan was a huge upset.  But to say that was the worst Michigan team in your lifetime is absurd.  Michigan started the season #5, finished 2nd in the B1G that year, and beat Urban Cryer and his boy Tebow in the Cap One Bowl.  Now, from 2008-2010 are by far the worst teams in Michigan history under RichRod (15-22 overall,3-9 in '08). 

I agree with Discman about YSU and the MAC.  YSU couldn't beat half the teams in there right now.  They'd pretty much be cellar dwellers in the MAC
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:21:38 PM by GoGuins »