Author Topic: Impressive Offensive Performances Lifts Penguins Past Panthers  (Read 8344 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Impressive Offensive Performances Lifts Penguins Past Panthers
« on: February 16, 2013, 09:14:48 AM »
The Youngstown State men's basketball team had four players score in double figures en route to scoring a season high in points in a 94-80 victory over Milwaukee on Friday night at the Beeghly Center.

Kendrick Perry had a game-high 28, DJ Cole scored a career-best 18, Blake Allen had 17 and Kamren Belin added 15. As a team, the Guins shot 56.9 percent making 33-of-58 shots from the field. YSU made a season-high-tying 13 3-pointers for the second consecutive game.

With the win, YSU improves to 15-11 overall and 7-6 in the Horizon League. Milwaukee falls to 6-21 and 2-11.

Perry was 11-of-16 from the field, 3-of-5 from behind the 3-point arc and 3-of-5 from the free-throw line while Cole was 7-of-10 from the field.

The Penguins scored 48 points in the first half and followed that up with 46 in the second half. YSU's shooting percentage went down in the second half despite connecting on 50 percent from the field.

In the second half, the closet UWM would get was nine at the 16:34 mark. After closing to within 54-45, Cole scored the Guins' next 11 points, the final three of which touched off a 9-0 that put the contest out of reach.

Cole drained a three at 14:33, Perry followed with a fast-break layup, Allen converted a layup of his own and Fletcher Larson sank a basket to extend the lead to 71-51. YSU's biggest lead of the night was at 80-55 which came on the heels of an 8-0 spurt at Perry slammed one home following a steal, Bobby Hain connected on a 3-pointer and Kamren Belin knocked a triple down as well for the 80-55 advantage.

UWM outscored the Penguins 25-14 the rest of the way. The Panthers also had four players score in double figures led by Paris Gulley's 18 points.

In the first half, YSU shot 66.7 percent from the field making 16-of-24 shots, 50 percent from behind the 3-point arc (6-of-12) and went 10-of-13 (76.9 percent) from the free-throw line.

All three of those added up to a 48-point performance and a 12-point halftime advantage.

Allen and Perry were the ring leaders combining to go 9-of-16 from the field and 7-of-8 from the free-throw line.

The Penguins led just 19-17 at the 9:42 mark of the half before an 11-3 spurt put them ahead 30-20 at the 7:27 mark. But the Panthers clawed to within 33-30 at the 4:37 mark before another YSU run gave it a big lead at the break. Allen provided some separation with a 3-pointer while Cole followed with one of his own to push the lead back out to nine.

After Jordan Aaron responded with a 3-pointer, Larson drained a base-line jumper, Allen made two free throws and Shawn Amiker added a free throw to push the advantage to 44-33. Larson and Allen made baskets for the Penguins to close out the half as the Guins took a 48-36 lead into the locker room.

YSU plays its final home regular-season Horizon League game of the season on Sunday against Green Bay. Tipoff at the Beeghly Center is set for 2:05 p.m.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Impressive Offensive Performances Lifts Penguins Past Panthers
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 01:29:10 PM »
I'm extremely happy for Fletcher Larson.   The guy rarely gets to play, but comes in a gives the team a lift when needed.  I hope he can continue to produce a get more pt.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »
I'm extremely happy for Fletcher Larson.   The guy rarely gets to play, but comes in a gives the team a lift when needed.  I hope he can continue to produce a get more pt.

See what happens when you use your bench Jerry! Finally, your learning you actually have a talented bench

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 01:58:57 PM »
This team is deep, could be scary good next season!  I can always hope!  But as always the teams will be vastly improved as well!

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 03:35:40 PM »
Nice to have an easy win, but I certainly wouldn't use a home win over a team that has lost 8 of 9 overall and is winless on the road this season as a referendum on the YSU bench or anything else about YSU  Just about everybody in the Horizon League has looked good against Milwaukee.  If Larson, et al, produce in similar numbers tomorrow against Green Bay, then we have something. 

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 04:23:08 PM »
Yes, Milwaukee is an easy team vs. most of the horizon teams. It sure was an exciting game because Slocum didn't impede their (the players) game. The YSU team ran up and down that court with great enthusiasm instead on going to the perimeter and passing the ball around the circle like a hot potato.

The players enjoyed playing like that, they even looked that good without Eargle. Question will be - will they play well like Friday night against Green Bay??

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 05:23:50 PM »
Don't sell Milwaukee short!  That team can flat out shoot, and have played well on the road at times despite the record.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 05:25:52 PM »
The game against GB is tomorrow afternoon! 

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 06:27:14 PM »
DMorton;
thanks for the game time correction, Sunday afternoon against Green Bay.

Go Penguins

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 06:58:53 PM »
Just don't want you to miss it if you plan on watching it!

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 07:42:59 PM »
Yes, Milwaukee is an easy team vs. most of the horizon teams. It sure was an exciting game because Slocum didn't impede their (the players) game. The YSU team ran up and down that court with great enthusiasm instead on going to the perimeter and passing the ball around the circle like a hot potato.

The players enjoyed playing like that, they even looked that good without Eargle. Question will be - will they play well like Friday night against Green Bay??
Yes it was good of Slocum to completely change his coaching philosophy because you thought he should. I'm surprised he didn't reference you during his post game press conference. In real life, the difference was two-fold: 1) the ball didn't go inside as much due to Eargle's absence, and 2) the same shots that mis-fired against Cleveland St, Loyola, and UIC fell last night.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 12:18:31 PM »
Never discount a win in the Horizon just because a teams road record may be bad.  I'll take them anyway and from anyone I can get them.  Beat GB, CMU and bite Wright on the road.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 04:11:09 PM »
Scratch every thing I said, One good game followed by a debacle.  The inconsistency of this team is maddening. I guess they have no home court advantage at all.  Another promising season right down the tubes.