Author Topic: YSU FOOTBALL 2012 WHAT NOW?  (Read 5497 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU FOOTBALL 2012 WHAT NOW?
« on: November 18, 2012, 07:47:57 PM »
Where do we go from here? What are your thoughts?
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU FOOTBALL 2012 WHAT NOW?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:27:11 PM »
I would love to use the "let's get them next year" line and really mean it.  But I can't.  The gaping holes in the lineup scare me and lead me to doubt whether we will even be competitive.

Start with the offensive line.  When Radakovich went down, the offense started to stumble.  When Pratt joined him, the offense shut down.  Add to those two the loss of Main and Mady and you are left with just Elkins.  Even if the replacements are good (a big if) they will be inexperienced.

The loss of Cook is devastating.  Pace is a good power back but hardly a proper fit for a spread offense.  Bellamy has shown little in three years.  Hymes is an unproven commodity.  Wolford's hype about him means nothing to me.

Fortunately, Hess returns and the receivers should be good, especially if Berassa recovers.

On defense, we lose the entire starting line, with only Sirl having a decent number of reps off the bench.  Again, let's hope the replacements are good, but they will be totally inexperienced.

That leaves the linebackers and secondary as the "strength" of defense.  Does that scare you as much as it does me?

The less said about Wolford's coaching abilities, the better.  To repeat a point I made on another post, did Jim Tressel ever lose a game here in fifteen years when he took a double-digit lead into halftime?  Losing double-digit leads is becoming Wolford's trademark.

Bottom line: this is a nightmare.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 09:18:56 PM »
Kyle Bryant and Elkins back. O-Line will be just fine and there will be no drop off once Cook leaves no offense to him, he was great but Bellamy and Hymes will be a great duo. I expect our passing game to be elite next year with every WR back along with Sharbaugh and Adams at TE. As for the defense, Kyle Sirl is back. I expect Anthony Szymczak to start at DT. He's 6-3, 330. Just a mammoth. Terrell Williams might just be our best pass rusher. Coaches rave about him. Just gotta add a little muscle to him. Teven and Travis Williams back at LB along with Dubem who will be healthy after his ACL injury and then Peterman, Childs and Boatwright back at DB along with #8. The secondary will be improved. Coach Tresey really had that defense playing well later in the season. There is optimism people. Cheer up

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »
no doubt....!.....we are 3set years in and were very close last 2week years to getting in...i really
felt this year and last if they did get in they would not get walked on...and compete with anyone
in the field...this team will be better next year....

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:14:32 AM »
Hopefully the coaching staff has it together next year. The players you never know?

A little off the subject here.. but I was thinking about #35 and #12?!?! Here we have two of the best ever to play at YSU with all the records etc.. "BUT" never sniffed the playoffs or a championship in the league. #12 has the chance next year with a team that has never been to a playoff.   ???

Offline guin52

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
This is my first time posting but how do they get att. numbers what they say and what's there seem to be different things.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 03:24:40 PM »
This is my first time posting but how do they get att. numbers what they say and what's there seem to be different things.

I think they go by ticket sales ...not butts in the seats.

Offline guin52

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 09:19:19 AM »
Thanks for the reply that would appear somewhat misleading when you look who attends the games