Author Topic: Scalzo: Penguins break camp prepped for Pitt  (Read 5421 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Scalzo: Penguins break camp prepped for Pitt
« on: August 22, 2012, 05:25:54 AM »
By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Two years ago, Youngstown State coach Eric Wolford left training camp with a two-deep chart he wasn’t sure was one-deep at most positions.

He lost his voice by the end of practices and lost his patience by the end of film study and, all too often, lost his leads by the end of games.

Two years later? He can’t hide his confidence.

“We feel like we finally have the depth and the talent that there’s no excuses for not winning here,” Wolford said after Tuesday’s practice, the last of fall camp. “We’re practicing better. I don’t have to poke and prod as much. I don’t have to yell and scream like I used to.

“They’re getting it.”

Wolford went 3-8 in his first season, with five losses by a touchdown or less. He went 6-5 last season, with four losses by a touchdown or less. Now he enters his third season with a “playoffs or bust” mentality, believing his team finally has enough talent to win a conference title — and enough leadership.

“Our coaches are doing a better job of leading their positions, our player representatives and our captains are doing a better job and I can see it,” Wolford said. “That we feel really good about.”

The Penguins wrapped camp relatively healthy — starting wideout Jelani Berassa tore his ACL in the only major injury of the summer — and there’s a quiet confidence that they have a team capable of pulling off an upset against an FBS foe.

There’s also a confidence that beating any of their FCS foes won’t be considered an upset. YSU does have a tough schedule — its first three conference games are at home against UNI, then at North Dakota State and Illinois State, the league’s three best teams last season — but if the Penguins can win two of those games, they will be in terrific shape entering the second half of the conference slate.

“We’ve talked about championship effort,” Wolford said. “You can go out and give good effort and probably win six or seven games. But championship effort is another level. That’s what I want to see.”

Offline GuinsAndNoles

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Scalzo: Penguins break camp prepped for Pitt
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 11:10:36 PM »
I can't decide if this is a good or bad time to get Pitt. A lot of returning starters if I'm not mistaken, but a transition in playing styles with the new coach. Really wish we still had Berassa.

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:16:04 PM »
Being a YSU fan in Pittsburgh, I can tell you that Pitt has strengths in the Defensive backfield and Defensive line.  Aaron Donald is a BEAST!!!!!  Our Offensive Line (as experienced as it is) will be greatly challenged.  I would say, look for Hess to get the TE's involved early to get those linebackers (who are suspect at Pitt) out of the way.  Hopefully then, our RB's can make a little bit of yardage and move the chains.  I think the big play from our offense could be tough to come by in this game.  Pitt's Offense has some weaknesses... #1 Offensive Line is very much patchwork at this point (or young)... Tino Sunseri (qb) is in his 3rd offensive system in 3 years and has had his ups and downs (mostly downs)... wide receivers have injuries... rb's are good especially if Ray Graham is healthy.  Here is what I think could happen...  a relatively lower scoring game.  YSU needs to stop the run first and make Tino throw it.  Then we will see if our db's our as improved as we think they are.  I'm excited to see our new Defensive philosophy/scheme.  Got my tickets to the game today... Sitting on the 50 yard line behind YSU's bench about 15 rows up.  We will be surrounded by a sea of blue and gold but....  YSU will know that we are there.  C'Mon boys... give us something to get REALLY EXCITED ABOUT.  LET'S GO GUINS!!!!  We will be cheering loudly and proudly wearing our red and white.  HERE WE GO!!!!!  I actually like this new coaching staff at PITT but, for the game on Sept. 1... it is YSU ALL THE WAY.  I can route for PITT in the other 11 games they play.

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 07:10:25 PM »
Got our tickets today. Does anyone know if there is anything planned by YSU like the boat dinner a few years ago?

GOOOOO  GUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:16:23 PM »
Got our tickets today. Does anyone know if there is anything planned by YSU like the boat dinner a few years ago?

GOOOOO  GUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Petey---no boat this year. Too many excursions by Gateway Clipper fleet during a Sat evening and they couldn't spare a boat. There is a $50 bus ride from YSU and back (no game ticket included)--somebody's lining their pockets with that excursion!!

Offline NineIron

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 12:27:51 PM »
We have a bus going to Pitt, several open seats left (alot of our regulars have prior commitments).  We take one every year (except to MSU last year) to raise money for Scholarships.  Price is $60 with game ticket, $40 w/o game ticket.  We have a nice mix of people from young to old.  Bus Leaves Youngstown @ 1:00 pm and leaves Pittsburgh about 1 1/2 hours after the game.  Price includes Pop, Water, Booze and Food.  We normally have a couple of Main Dishes plus sides supplied by Chrystal Catering.  Anyone interested, call me (Scott) at 330-502-4027.  Always a good time and good bang for your buck.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »
We have a bus going to Pitt, several open seats left (alot of our regulars have prior commitments).  We take one every year (except to MSU last year) to raise money for Scholarships.  Price is $60 with game ticket, $40 w/o game ticket.  We have a nice mix of people from young to old.  Bus Leaves Youngstown @ 1:00 pm and leaves Pittsburgh about 1 1/2 hours after the game.  Price includes Pop, Water, Booze and Food.  We normally have a couple of Main Dishes plus sides supplied by Chrystal Catering.  Anyone interested, call me (Scott) at 330-502-4027.  Always a good time and good bang for your buck.
Nine--that's a great deal better than the one from YSU!! Have fun.