Author Topic: Athlon Top 25  (Read 5100 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Athlon Top 25
« on: June 06, 2012, 03:35:15 PM »
1ST preseason rag I've seen this year and lookie at the Guins!! Looks like this is the year YSU finally get's respect from the preseason.  Now let's back it up on the field!! Interesting how NDSU virtually lost no body and dropped to #3, SHSU returns basically the whole team from 2011 yikes!! 5 MVFC teams in all on this top 25!!  86 days!

Goooooooooo!! Guins!

1. Sam Houston State
2. GSU
3. NDSU
4. Montana St
5. JMU
6. ODU
7. Towson
8. App St
9. YSU
10. UNH
11. Delaware
12. EWU
13. JSU
14. Ind St
15. Ill St
16. SBU
17. Montana
18. EKU
19. Wofford
20. UNI
21. Murray St
22. Harvard
23. SFA
24. Chattanooga
25. Lehigh
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 03:37:32 PM by ysubigred »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Athlon Top 25
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 11:47:50 PM »
We are also ranked, barely, in the top 25 in two other internet polls.  Whoever made this Athlon poll did their homework.  Notice the relatively low ranking for Montana (with a program in chaos due to crime and coaching turnover) and UNI (with their suicidal two games against Big Ten opponents.)  NDSU lost a few key pieces, and I respect these guys for not following tradition and merely placing them at the top.  And it looks like somebody expects that we will fix our defense and special teams.  Sure hope that their insight is indeed sound.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 12:57:23 PM »
Wick,

I agree with your assessment.  This is about where I had us in my own analysis.  Possibly higher or lower depending on how well the defense turns out.  Losing Rogers is going to hurt.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »
I don't know. Athlon has still always been a very pro A-10/CAA site. That is all the rankng for NDSU is. #1 or #3 ...should always be a 1-loss or undefeated team ...and they are defending champs. You are quite correct on some key losses. In fact they should be #3 team in the MVFC. None-the-less ...if you are going to show respect of the top-5 ...#1 is where a defensing champ belongs.

5. JMU
6. ODU
7. Towson

I mean Old Dominion proved the problems in the CAA in 2011, yet they have these high rankings. If you are doing your homework ...you will see that Villanova returns "literally" the entire team ...less the punter. Also, they have had only 1 season with more than 3-losses in the past 10-years (last year).  Where are they? ODU returns their star QB, but loses all their receivers, all but 1 O-lineman, the entire secondary, punter, and kicker. Now if you look very closely, ODU had 2 punters last year, so they are okay. They also return their RB's.  So things look good for them ...but not top-10 worthy. JMU ...we all know their coach is an ass ...but he wins. But they have had 5-losses in each of the past 3-seasons (how was that play-off worthy? We all know the answer). They lose much of their defensive middle and secondary ...along with their two-best O-Linemen. I understand they brought in a new QB. Towson brought in a great cpach a few years back ...you have to respect their rank @ 7. In fact you could call them the top team in the CAA, but with no track record ....probably not. They do return a lot of seniors ...but who knows ...they could just as easily end-up with a more traditional 2-win season.

I guess my point it that they are picking favorites, more than analyzing. In fact, the only reason YSU is in any top-25 is out of respect for the heritage, and name recognition. Will we be the big "sleeper" in 2012? I hope so.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 04:20:34 PM »
ummm........Heritage?  We have sucked since 2008.  Heritage is not getting us a top 10 ranking. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 05:55:18 AM »
I see your point Power.

I guess my aggravation over this poll is that they did spend time looking at last year's record for the teams. So ...why is GSU #2, and NDSU at #3? I think the Eagles crossed the 50-yard line one time in each half in their 35-7 loss to NDSU. Maybe these guys really did their homework ...but we have to have something to discuss until summer camp  fb

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 09:05:22 AM »
I would have preferred to fly under the radar until conference play begins...looks like we aren't sneaking up on anybody this year.

A bigger surprise to me is UNI at #20....I can't remember seing them that low in awhile. They are almost CAA-like with the amount of pollster and media love they get.