Author Topic: Recruiting News..?  (Read 54719 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Recruiting News..?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2012, 03:12:52 PM »
Heard we have 16 football recruits on campus this weekend and they all saw the great basketball win last night. Let's hope we get some commitments!!

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »
How lucky for those recruits to be here, especially for our
great win in Basketball.

I say welcome "recruits".  If you crave playing for
a spirited football crowd, you've come to the right
University.  Hopefully, we'll get to know you better
and if you are as we hope you are, and you agree
to stay, we will know you better....you'll get the
headlines.

Welcome recruits!!! To our great FOOTBALL TOWN.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »
2 commitments so far.

Michael Wheary: WR from Lakeland Christian School in Lakeland, FL. 5-9, 160 pounds. Looks like a smaller Christian Bryan basically, lacks great speed.

Brandon Davis: 6-3, 310 DT from College Of DuPage. Big kid who will take up space in the middle. I see him as a potential starter along with Aronde Stanton at DT.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2012, 08:05:21 PM »
Another commitment. Dana Harris, a DT from Grand Rapids Community College. Played high school ball at Madison Heights high school in Detroit. 6-3, 300. Will have 2 years of eligibility left. Could challenge for a starting job

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2012, 08:10:34 PM »
ask and you shall receive....many posts about concern up front on D next year....harris will
start....he is a stud....the other guys may see some pt as well..nice job coach wolf

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2012, 10:42:49 PM »
2 commitments so far.

Michael Wheary: WR from Lakeland Christian School in Lakeland, FL. 5-9, 160 pounds. Looks like a smaller Christian Bryan basically, lacks great speed.

I've always said, you can never have enough 5-9, 160lbs guys on a D1 football team.

Hope he runs a 4.2

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2012, 11:34:05 AM »
you are seeing more and more undersized wide out / slot type guys in the offenses in this day and age..(Welker...A Brown)...weather it be pro...or college level...these guys are able to get in and out of breaks much quicker then the taller receivers...and are being used as underneath...and flat type receivers, having to make 1 guy miss and pick up 8 to 10 yards a crack...

these guys fit very well in the offense Mont / Wolf are trying to run...

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2012, 12:55:06 PM »
I am thinking (hoping) we will see coach M use more TE's and TB's (in pass situations) this year. If the back can catch, he is already underneath, and there is no substitute for height and weight in short pass situations. We are still well-stocked in both.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2012, 11:37:35 PM »
you are seeing more and more undersized wide out / slot type guys in the offenses in this day and age..(Welker...A Brown)...weather it be pro...or college level...these guys are able to get in and out of breaks much quicker then the taller receivers...and are being used as underneath...and flat type receivers, having to make 1 guy miss and pick up 8 to 10 yards a crack...

these guys fit very well in the offense Mont / Wolf are trying to run...

Agreed. And I hope you are right. :)

Alabama, ran 2 TE's and an "I" formation. But yes, I understand they are Alabama. LSU did too. And Southern Cal before them....and TOSU before that. The common denominator there.....ydou ask?

National Championships!!!!!!!!.......over a DECADE.

Not arguing, just food for thought. The scale will tip the other way eventually......get there early.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:40:02 PM by Pizza »

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 05:13:42 PM »
i think ysu could run that right now if they wanted....sharbaugh...shaw at tight end... pick your  poisen as I backs....

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 09:21:40 PM »
18th commitment is Safety Jameel Smith from Miami Norland High School that won the FHSAA 5A State Championship with a 15-0 record. Same school that produced Steelers WR Antonio Brown and Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe. Listed at 6-0, 180 pounds. Hard hitting kid who punishes receivers and has above average speed. I see him being a potential star at YSU if he works hard! 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:57:31 PM by ysufan0505 »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 08:26:23 AM »
18th commitment is Safety Jameel Smith from Miami Norland High School that won the FHSAA 5A State Championship with a 15-0 record. Same school that produced Steelers WR Antonio Brown and Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe. Listed at 6-0, 180 pounds. Hard hitting kid who punishes receivers and has above average speed. I see him being a potential star at YSU if he works hard!

:) :D We need to load up the defense.  I don't care how great of an offense you have, if YSU don't spend some scholly's on Defense the flash and bang "O" will still have the Guins @ home in Dec and Jan.  All the National Champs this year at all levels of football won with great Defenses. Hopefully this kid will make an immediate impact plus help on covering KO returns.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:27:42 AM by ysubigred »

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 11:03:35 AM »
three names......Williams.....Boatwright.....D'Alesio.....
Everyone is hammering the defense from last year....especially the secondary....these three guys
were definitely penciled in for significant playing time....

The problem last year is the defense did not have guys that could step in and play at a high level...

I do not think we will have that same problem this year...

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 11:51:46 AM »
Jameel Smith.....just spoke to a friend of mine who coaches in Ft. Lauderdale....does not understand how this kid got out of the state...great job Wolf..!!...

We could see him in the return game...needs to put on some muscle...the kid is long...covers some ground...good football instincts...and can lay the wood..!!...

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2012, 11:56:57 AM »
And imagine if Dale Peterman does end up playing with his 2 years of eligibility left as either a corner or safety. We are getting pretty deep at a lot of positions. No wonder coach Wolf won recruiter of the year while at South Carolina!