Author Topic: Recruiting News..?  (Read 54723 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Recruiting News..?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 06:54:20 AM »
Really, I think he was too slow.  I want a cruise missle at safety.  Like Dwight Smiley was.  He was a head hunter and receivers were afraid to catch the ball becuase of the punishment that was going to be dished out on every play.  I want a safety that is fast and physical enough that we can send on a blitz periodically.  This kid was too slow.  I wasn't impressed.  I am glad he wnet somewhere else, coach can do better.  he runs a 4.58 second 40.  I would like to have 4.3 speed there and it takes a different kind of athlete
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:00:51 AM by penguinpower »

Offline BTD30

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 07:20:55 AM »
... that's why he was recruited as a OLB. His athleticism was better suited there. If you looked at his tape, that's what he basically was playing.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 07:22:21 AM by BTD30 »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 08:43:18 AM »
I thought he was a Safety

Offline BTD30

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 10:53:51 AM »
His HS team might have listed him there. But He was playing in the box in the front 7. His athleticism and skills are better suited as a Linebacker. See:

http://youtu.be/0sUN8fQog_Y

He would've been a really good LB for us. Oh well...

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 09:09:16 AM »
we are stacked at linebacker....i dont think its a big loss either....we are a safty and shut
down corner away from really making some noise next year....

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 11:38:20 AM »
we are stacked at linebacker....i dont think its a big loss either....we are a safty and shut
down corner away from really making some noise next year....

...and a power TB or FB.
...and a deep kick-off man.
...and a couple of DT's.
...maybe a DE (we could maybe use someone our abundance of undersized DT's).
...better defensive game-plans.
...a couple of our young o-linemen to mature physically (about 20-30 lbs).

Thanks for the mention on Smiley "power", he would be perfect for this style of defense we have now. Weaver and Greene as well, although Green was technically on the corners; like Dwight he had a fantastic nose for the ball. Weaver was such a team leader as well, and that is what this team needs, someone to step up and lead by example.

I remember I took my usual summer vacation and came to ytown during camp. I was watching Weaver and Kevin Brown working with the young players that whole week. I remember them getting in people's faces when they did not get it right, then showing them again. Like I have said in the past ...you can only coach so much, then it is time for the experienced players to take over and show younger players the finer points. I feel this is where the foundation is poured, and the consistency is developed. This is how you build teams that are not going to defeat an eventual national champ one week, and lose to a 1-8 team the next.

It is what has frustrated us (as fans) last season in football and right now in basketball ...consistency. There comes a time when you beat the teams that you are supposed to beat, so that a loss against a quality opponent does not ruin your season.

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »
1AA - we are fine on offense...

happy with depth on O line...these Fresh - Sophs will develop....

we have T. Pace as the bruising back..wish they would use him more...Andre Stubbs would have
made a huge difference for the Guins this year had he not got hurt...he will lead the league next
year in return yards if he stays healthy...

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 08:26:24 PM »
Wolford said in one of the Lake Club gatherings that Hymes is the best back he has coached and he coached Mendenhall.  He said he was unstoppable on the scout team this year (he was red shirted)

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »
Power you need to stop smoking crack! Safeties that run 4.3 fortys only go to YSU if they've been thrown out of or failed out of another school.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 11:37:01 AM »
1AA - we are fine on offense...

happy with depth on O line...these Fresh - Sophs will develop....

we have T. Pace as the bruising back..wish they would use him more...Andre Stubbs would have
made a huge difference for the Guins this year had he not got hurt...he will lead the league next
year in return yards if he stays healthy...

Good point on Stubbs. He slipped my mind. I am not certain about Pace, and why he sees such limited time. Several of us would like to see what he can do with the first team ...against a first-team. He seems to do well in camp, but has only played when the outcome was no longer in doubt during this past season. There was more one occasion that I felt we should have used him last season. Twice we turned the ball over to UNI with off-tackle runs on third and forth down. I have also thought he can play FB + TB for us. TE's (which we used in the backfield last year very effectively) may block better, but they are not going to take the ball, so defenses try to skip by them and make the play on the TB and QB. With the FB in the backfield, defenses have to decide in which to commit.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 06:55:30 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 12:44:31 PM »
Power you need to stop smoking crack! Safeties that run 4.3 fortys only go to YSU if they've been thrown out of or failed out of another school.

Or thier first name is Sir.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 11:25:24 PM »
OT Quasion Osborne has decommitted and gone to his hometown University Of Akron, tough loss to take but today DT Austin Trgovich from Cardinal Mooney has committed to YSU! 6-3, 285 big strong kid who can take up some space. Good commit for Coach Wolf and staff

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 02:50:03 PM »
Austin Trgovcich is no John Simon, but he does not have to be a player of that caliber in order to help us.  He is not very fast and his stats will not overwhelm you, but he saw considerable playing time as a sophomore at Mooney which is an impressive accomplishment.  He played on a defensive line without other college prospects, so he was double-teamed continuously.  Here is what I like best about him.  A Mooney junior linebacker was named the Ohio DIII defensive player-of-the-year.  That kid got the honor primarily because he was roaming free and unblocked on many plays.  And Trgovcich occupied the offensive linemen to enable that to happen.

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 07:48:52 PM »
saw him play twice this year...he is still a puppy...!!....this kid is not done growing....very athletic for his size....
with bowden and amato at akron wolf has his work cut out for him when recruiting the cleveland...akron...columbus area...

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 09:23:01 PM »
Austin Trgovcich is no John Simon, but he does not have to be a player of that caliber in order to help us.  He is not very fast and his stats will not overwhelm you, but he saw considerable playing time as a sophomore at Mooney which is an impressive accomplishment.  He played on a defensive line without other college prospects, so he was double-teamed continuously.  Here is what I like best about him.  A Mooney junior linebacker was named the Ohio DIII defensive player-of-the-year.  That kid got the honor primarily because he was roaming free and unblocked on many plays.  And Trgovcich occupied the offensive linemen to enable that to happen.

I have strong opinions here. Based on watching all the aforementioned  for 2-6 years....every game, during their HS careers. Just let me say this.....

Trgovich is going to be a great player at YSU. A great player! He is the epitome...of what Youngstown Ohio (and Mooney) has to offer. He's a tad short.....6'1 1/2 -ish.....but he has BCS strength and attitude. And for our sake, it's good he is ONLY.......6"2"....for if he was 6'5"......he'd be playing at Alabama.

A great catch for YSU!!!

I'm gonna be rooting for this kid for the next 4-5 years.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:16:29 PM by Pizza »