Early info on Valpo Football

(1/2) > >>

ELPENGUIN:
From the Valpo Football page:

Valpo has lost 22 games in a row. Franklin, a 24th ranked Division III team,
defeated them last Saturday 49-35.

Game Notes: Franklin leads the all-time series 12-3 and has now won five
straight meetings … the 35 points scored by the Crusaders were the most
Valpo has tallied since at 47-14 victory at Campbell on Nov. 15, 2008 … Porter’s
interception was the first of his career and his first touchdown … Bryce LaMore
(Manteno, Ill./Bishop McNamara H.S.) also recorded his first collegiate pick … Valpo
was 2-for-2 on fourth down conversions and 3-of-3 scoring in the red zone

Valpo had a 14 point lead early but could not hold the lead.
Returning 6 starters on offense and 6 on defense.  A very young
team that appears to be able to score.  That being said, I don't see
why we should not hold them to a shutout.

The Crusaders totaled 463 yards of offense, including 394 through the air off
of the arm of redshirt freshman Eric Hoffman (Manitowoc, Wis./Lincoln H.S.),
who completed 27-of-42 passes including a touchdown in his collegiate debut.

2011-12 Valpo Football schedule

September 2011       Opponent                     Location                Time/Result
Sat, Sep 3             Franklin                            Brown Field            L 49-35
Sat, Sep 10             at Youngstown State    Youngstown, Ohio    3:00 p.m.
Sat, Sep 17             at Duquesne                     Pittsburgh, Pa.    11:00 a.m.

Sat, Oct 1             Morehead State *             Brown Field             1:00 p.m.
Sat, Oct 8             San Diego *                     Brown Field             1:00 p.m.
Sat, Oct 15             at Butler *                     Indianapolis, Ind.    12:00 p.m.
Sat, Oct 22             at Drake *                     Des Moines, Iowa      1:00 p.m.
Sat, Oct 29             Dayton *                     Brown Field              1:00 p.m.

Sat, Nov 5             at Marist *                     Poughkeepsie, N.Y.  11:00 a.m.
Sat, Nov 12             Campbell *                     Brown Field               1:00 p.m.
Sat, Nov 19             at Davidson *                     Davidson, N.C.      12:00 p.m.

ELPENGUIN:
Some more early thoughts from Valpo message board:

I watched the entire game on the BTN, and Youngstown wasn't out of that game until the 4th quarter. Youngstown even had opportunities to make it a closer game. A blocked extra point and a missed field goal cost them 4 points. Sparty also missed a field goal, so that sort of cancels itself.

Point of all this...YSU wasn't outmatched physically against MSU, I fear the same can't be said when Valpo plays Youngstown. I am truly concerned for the safety of the players.

I understand the concern and it isn't without merit based on what I also saw last night.  However, Valpo isn't without size and probably not just short fat kids.  The weight lifting program has no doubt impacted the muscle on our guys.  For example, on the offensive line we have Nate Blair, a 6'5" 305 lb. senior and on defensive we have Nico
Carson at 6'3" 275 lbs, also a senior.  At wide receiver we have guys like senior Sean McCarty at 6'5" 210 lbs and even the starting quarterback, Eric Hoffman is 6'3" 200 lbs.

My point is that they are more athletic and faster but not necessarily bigger.  With our new conditioning effort I would be surprised to see a bunch of injuries.  I played in a bunch of lopsided losses and injuries weren't necessarily part of the process.  Let's hope I'm right.
Post Season Basketball Results:

NAIA: 1938, 1943
CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011
NIT: 2003
NCAA: 1962, 1966, 1967, 1969, 1973, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004
Crusader65

View Profile

Re: Youngstown State - Valpo (9/10)
« Reply #8 on: Today at 05:17:09 PM »

The thing that I hope for is the effort.  Are the players prepared to go for four quarters regardless of outcome?  This team can score and has enough talent to stay on the field.  We used to play Indiana State and Ball State as conference games when I first came to Valpo.  Great mismatches with talent even back then but with our mental and physical effort we let them know they were in a game.  I guess Lou Holtz says it best - "When you're wrestling with a gorilla you don't stop when you get tired but only when the gorilla gets tired!"  Injuries shouldn't be a concern as long as clean play is promoted and monitored by coaches and referees.  Size doesn't always win but quickness and speed kills.  I hope we can match the quickness and speed portion or Katy bar the door.  Go VU!

guinpen:
I give Valpo credit for wanting to play us, unlike that bunch of "kitty cats" from Dayton. Looking forward to the game and a good effort from both teams.

Still strikes me as crazy that we can get full credit for playing a struggling non-scholly team but nothing for playing D2 schools that are probably a better matchup. No knock on Valpo here folks.

YsuPride:
This will be an huge game for YSU.  We may score 70.  Hopefully we have 16 or 17,000 in attendance.  The real fun begins in week 3. 

Wick250:
I very much doubt if we will run up the score on Saturday.  We want to continue to play Pioneer League teams because, as guinpen noted, in the crazy world of the NCAA these actually count as real FCS wins.  I am thinking four or five touchdowns, with everyone on the roster who will not redshirt getting plenty of action.  But even as I write these words, I envision Michigan State pundits saying the exact same thing last week ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version