Author Topic: NIL issues  (Read 212 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
NIL issues
« on: September 26, 2024, 09:11:42 AM »

Interesting article concerning NIL and an issue happening at UNLV.

https://www.wkbn.com/sports/quarterback-of-undefeated-college-team-says-he-will-no-longer-play-over-unmet-representations/

Seems that the school is not holding up it's end of the deal and the qb bolts while he still has the chance to play somewhere else next year. No doubt there will be others.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NIL issues
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2024, 02:37:35 PM »
This will be the beginning of college sports player associations - mark it!! This will force players to unionize and be represented in negotiations. College sports does, it just doesn’t know it yet.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2024, 02:56:45 PM »
This will be the beginning of college sports player associations - mark it!! This will force players to unionize and be represented in negotiations. College sports does, it just doesn’t know it yet.
If that happens, we will see many universities dropping revenue sports. I perviously had to deal with unionized work force as an engineering manager, I never want to deal with that again.
What is after NIL, profi/revenue sharing?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2024, 05:17:46 PM »
I believe that YSU and about 400 other non-big time universities should announce that they are going to share 25% of their sports-generated profits with their student athletes. Math is not my forte. Help me out here. What is 25% of zero! 8)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2024, 06:14:28 PM »
I believe that YSU and about 400 other non-big time universities should announce that they are going to share 25% of their sports-generated profits with their student athletes. Math is not my forte. Help me out here. What is 25% of zero! 8)
Let me put it another way. Our profit is not zero. It is actually negative (we lost $$). They should pay back some of the tuition/room & board…..Lol
One thing I learned while working at YSU, we don’t have profit since we are a nonprofit organization according to the IRS. We simply balance the budget each year.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2024, 06:55:36 PM »
The disparity Between YSU Men's basketball and football is huge and that's not factoring 13 baketballers vs 100+ on the football team.  Looks like basketball can compete nil wise within the scope of their size while football is pretty dismal.  I'm basing this on the article from the Buiness Journal.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2024, 08:49:15 PM »
The following statement, if true, is the same thing that happened to YSU after the first playoff game last year. Simply cannot be allowed to happen.

"Sluka did not elaborate on what sparked his decision but a Las Vegas sports reporter claims the senior was approached by another program and offered more money to transfer."

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2024, 09:14:34 PM »

Meant to say: college sports died it just doesn’t know it yet.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2024, 09:53:31 PM »

Meant to say: college sports died it just doesn’t know it yet.

You may be right, I was never a fan of paying players to begin with, but if it was going to happen, they could not have come up with a worse way to do it.