Author Topic: Our Future is in Johnson's Hands  (Read 1110 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Our Future is in Johnson's Hands
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2024, 05:58:20 PM »
He might be a good coach but he's not a good Head Coach for YOUNGSTOWN STATE FOOTBALL.  If money is an issue and we can't compete in  recruiting , NIL and coaching hires then the AD and Penguin Club need to come clean.   If u ask me its an excuse to protect someone's job.  All the while the program continues the downward spiral and spend $$$$ millions to lose to Duquesne and attendance is non existent.  How long will current sponsors continue to waste money to have no one attend games in Stambaugh?  The issue is bigger than Phillips and Strollo.  Someone needs fix it!!!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2024, 06:02:24 PM by goodnews »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2024, 06:03:23 PM »
Disagree PenguinPower he is far from a good coach. He can’t recruit or get as D1 QB. Without even an average QB we can’t compete   Davidson was a walk on can’t remember if he came with Pelini.
We had the best RB in the country and even though we could see Crenshaw didn’t have it took him way too long to go to Davidson.
Yes we got to the playoffs but we got a break due to FCS rules to get a close team on the draw. 
Same team beat us the following year why? 
Then Pitt dropped 73 pts in us.  Those kids were not prepared had no fight in them.  Then he hugs the guy Narduzzi I guess it’s think you for the 400k.
Phillips has shown he and his staff cannot evaluate and recruit a division 1 defense period.
Or a D1 QB.  He’s mediocre at best. He’s as D+ version of a Jim Tressel hire.  If YSU can’t afford to compete it’s time to rethink where we are at. To say this 4th rate hire is a great shows how we have lowered our standards. 

A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2024, 06:08:35 PM »
Disagree PenguinPower he is far from a good coach. He can’t recruit or get as D1 QB. Without even an average QB we can’t compete   Davidson was a walk on can’t remember if he came with Pelini.
We had the best RB in the country and even though we could see Crenshaw didn’t have it took him way too long to go to Davidson.
Yes we got to the playoffs but we got a break due to FCS rules to get a close team on the draw. 
Same team beat us the following year why? 
Then Pitt dropped 73 pts in us.  Those kids were not prepared had no fight in them.  Then he hugs the guy Narduzzi I guess it’s think you for the 400k.
Phillips has shown he and his staff cannot evaluate and recruit a division 1 defense period.
Or a D1 QB.  He’s mediocre at best. He’s as D+ version of a Jim Tressel hire.  If YSU can’t afford to compete it’s time to rethink where we are at. To say this 4th rate hire is a great shows how we have lowered our standards. 

The fact that he played Crenshaw is a coaching critique.  Same with the current QB while the RS that took his team to a state championship sits in the bench.  That part is fair. But he recruited a great class that has been lost to the portal

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2024, 06:37:00 PM »
We beat Pitt in 2012.  Lost to them (in a good game) 45 - 37 (something like that) in 2015.  Took them to OT in 2017.  Then in 2024 got run out of the house immediately on the way to giving up 73 points...

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2024, 08:23:24 PM »
Everyone else is experiencing the same challenges.  These excuses don't work for me.  Phillips is a people pleaser.  Who would hug Narduzzi after he made him look so bad?  Does he have any self respect?  He should never have been hired as the head coach.  Moreover STROLLO SHOULD HAVE NEVER EXTENDED HIS CONTRACT.  Where are the details of the EXTENSION?

He's really not a bad coach. That's where everyone is off base.  We don't pay.

Power,

In August, the Youngstown Business Journal investigated NIL and the position of YSU relative to our competition. Here is the link:

https://businessjournaldaily.com/article/penguin-collective-scores-at-raising-money/

This won't last, especially with the collapse of the program. But right now we are above the average for the MVFC and the MAC for that matter.  In 2024, lack of money is NOT the reason for this atrocity.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2024, 09:04:13 PM »
Everyone else is experiencing the same challenges.  These excuses don't work for me.  Phillips is a people pleaser.  Who would hug Narduzzi after he made him look so bad?  Does he have any self respect?  He should never have been hired as the head coach.  Moreover STROLLO SHOULD HAVE NEVER EXTENDED HIS CONTRACT.  Where are the details of the EXTENSION?

He's really not a bad coach. That's where everyone is off base.  We don't pay.

Power,

In August, the Youngstown Business Journal investigated NIL and the position of YSU relative to our competition. Here is the link:

https://businessjournaldaily.com/article/penguin-collective-scores-at-raising-money/

This won't last, especially with the collapse of the program. But right now we are above the average for the MVFC and the MAC for that matter.  In 2024, lack of money is NOT the reason for this atrocity.

My job involves statistics and I have a deep understanding of how they're presented.  Bottom line is that they should have used median values because the average is probably skewed by only a few teams
 But I get your point.  Understand there's spin in this.  Hate to say it, but the truth.  Thanks for sharing.. you are one of the elites on this board and I respect everything you post.  Just consider what I'm saying

For those that don't understand my point, here's an example.  I live in Richmond Hill GA.  The average salary of a person living her is close to $500k per year.  However, the average is heavily influenced by the fact that the Ford family has a vacation home here (Henry Ford's family).  But them median income is ~$60k.  So the average doesn't represent the actual population.

That's my point and Wick is a sharp guy that gets it.  I'm just stating my point of view
« Last Edit: September 22, 2024, 09:17:37 PM by penguinpower »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2024, 10:28:23 PM »
I totally agree with goodnews.   Something needs done.  I hate to see so much lost in 1 years time.  Last year was a surprise to all of our opponents.  Don't have that luxury this year.  My guess is 2 wins max and he will keep his job. All assistants will be back as well.  Looks grim.  Cannot wait until basketball season.  Men's and women's teams have talent.  Ysu is now a BASKETBALL school.