Author Topic: Pitt game  (Read 3212 times)

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pitt game
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2024, 10:04:17 PM »
We got what we deserved!  Narduzzi let's his OC run the offense entirely.  He doesn't get involved much with that side of the ball.  Pitt runs up tempo ALL THE TIME under Cade Bell's scheme.  When the backups came into the game in the 4th quarter, they needed to run the same up tempo offense in order to make their playing time worthwhile.  I have zero problem with what Pitt did today!  You can't expect a backup to go into a game and not run the scheme they way they practice. 

Offline PENS16

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2024, 10:27:37 PM »
Little by little my love of college football fades. With NIL, it will be survival of the financial fittest. It’s turned in to MLB when you can spend as much or little as you want to compete. We shouldn’t be able to compete with Pitt in this scenario. Everything has changed.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2024, 11:30:01 PM »
Will we let Phillips go if he doesn't win a game rest of year? We should.    He has no toughness to him...He talks a good game but it doesn't reflect on the field.  What happed to King?  We have no running game, no passing game and no run defense to speak of and it is getting  worse.  I bet next home game stands will be empty.   3 or 4 k attendance.  Our program may have made playoffs last year but no more playoffs as long as we have Phillips.

We have no running game because they stack the box because we cannot pass.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2024, 11:57:54 PM »
played like a D2 team

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2024, 01:33:17 AM »
Phillips is 100% correct when he says YSU is a developmental program.   He is the biggest project t of all in the program.  Let's not forget a was a teacher/administrator in Salem.   His experience never warranted his hire.  Especially under the current conditions of college football.    Then the AD extends his contract???  We were fortunate to make the playoffs last year.  Name recognition and a regional opponent with the potential for attendance got us in. Period end of story.  No doubt it was our best team.under Phillips but nothing great. Its frightening cause this program is close to extinction right now.  BTW where is the $$$$$ man from Salem who was instrumental in Phillips hiring?  Is he the donor who made a significant contribution to the athletics department?  Are there any details regarding the donation?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2024, 06:55:13 AM »
From today’s Tribune/Vindy. You guys can judge if this game is personal or not for Pitt’s HC….

https://www.tribtoday.com/sports/local-sports/2024/09/traugh-shines-defense-falters-as-ysu-gets-thumped-by-pitt-73-17/

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2024, 07:05:25 AM »
Well according to Pat's words no doubt that he enjoyed the outcome, More bitter then classy.

Ready for the next game.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2024, 07:36:22 AM »
Well according to Pat's words no doubt that he enjoyed the outcome, More bitter then classy.

Ready for the next game.

Not according to some posters.  Passing every down in a hurry up offense in the 4th when you're up 48 and Phillips gives him a hug after the game.   I remember about 20+ years ago a coach for Rutgers told Joe Pa that he was a dirt bag when he did once in the 4th and they had an altercation at midfield.   It was personal for Pat and should be for us if you have Love for YSU.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2024, 04:19:01 PM »
I hope that Phillips did not enjoy the hug, but he showed that he was the better person.

Offline PENS16

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2024, 06:46:10 PM »
Why did he make it personal this year?Is Phillips the sort of coach you want to make it personal against? Maybe when YSU played him in 2017 and 2018 and lost 45-37 and 28-21 in OT he wasn’t sure Pitt was good enough
to make it “personal.” Imagine him saying that when Pelini was at YSU. Now our program is down and Phillips is a quiet gentleman and confident Pitt will steamroll YSU…so I’m going to step out and say this is “personal.” What a bush league gesture.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2024, 07:21:37 PM »
Why did he make it personal this year?Is Phillips the sort of coach you want to make it personal against? Maybe when YSU played him in 2017 and 2018 and lost 45-37 and 28-21 in OT he wasn’t sure Pitt was good enough
to make it “personal.” Imagine him saying that when Pelini was at YSU. Now our program is down and Phillips is a quiet gentleman and confident Pitt will steamroll YSU…so I’m going to step out and say this is “personal.” What a bush league gesture.

Narduzzi's father was the coach at YSU.. 6 of his ten yeara was spent battling cancer.  He was fired while dealing with cancer.Par was unhappy about it

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2024, 08:07:31 PM »
Narduzzi's father was the coach at YSU.. 6 of his ten yeara was spent battling cancer.  He was fired while dealing with cancer.Par was unhappy about it

One has to admire a son's love for his father and when you add that he died of cancer and was fired it makes YSU as the big bad evil and maybe they were.   I left the area in 1981 and Bill Narduzzi was fired almost 40 years ago.  Can someone from that era give some context. The timing sounds terrible but was there justification at the time ?

I was at most of the games his first 6 seasons and 1978 and 79 YSU was a power in D2 and after that his record was average.  Was it the mediocrity that prevailed that got him fired or were there other factors ?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2024, 08:40:31 PM »

One has to admire a son's love for his father and when you add that he died of cancer and was fired it makes YSU as the big bad evil and maybe they were.   I left the area in 1981 and Bill Narduzzi was fired almost 40 years ago.  Can someone from that era give some context. The timing sounds terrible but was there justification at the time ?

I was at most of the games his first 6 seasons and 1978 and 79 YSU was a power in D2 and after that his record was average.  Was it the mediocrity that prevailed that got him fired or were there other factors ?

Joe Malmisur was the AD who hire Tressel.  He was the replacement for Narduzzi.  (Aka Duzzer's Bruiser's)

They had recently built the new stadium and decided to go I-AA.  Pit the pieces together

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2024, 08:47:11 PM »
Have heard two versions, one that Bill was fired and two that his contract just was not renewed, there is a difference. His battle with cancer would make YSU look bad with either option. Was his cancer battle affecting his ability to be a head coach?

Either way, Pat's actions on Sat did nothing to honor the Narduzzi name.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2024, 08:50:02 PM by guinpen »

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2024, 11:24:47 PM »
I remember going to games my first couple of years at YSU (1984 -1985) the team was not very good, nor was attendance.  Something needed to change.  Unfortunate given the circumstances, fighting cancer and all.

And yes, Bill Narduzzi was instrumental in getting the stadium built.  So that was another piece I think that led to some bitterness.  Fired (or not renewed) after four years at the new stadium that he pushed to get built.  (Though, I always wished they had put stands on the east side from the beginning).

All that said, you can’t argue with the move from Narduzzi to Tressel.