Author Topic: SIU Week  (Read 6693 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: SIU Week
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2023, 05:36:42 PM »
I am not looking for credibility to begin with, but I have never said that I expect Phillips to make the post season (this year) to keep his job. I do expect something substantial. A victory over UNI was a clear expectation for me, as I know how poor I think that the Panthers are. Now the win over SIU was another game that I expected, and I got my wish; but that is still not substantial. He still has a few games to prove himself.

I still support Jon Heacock and Shane Montgomery to this day. Heacock gave us hugely entertaining games and an extremely competitive team; this despite being strapped down with playing "Tressel Football". I mean come one, even Tressel himself never played that style of offense at OSU. Heacock left only one year after changing offenses, which he should not have done. He should have stuck around for a few more years to see how it would have worked. Better yet, he should have changed the offense earlier and he would still be here today, or at least retiring. I have been saying the same thing about Phillips, as he is a Tressel hire and he is playing Tressel ball once again (for the most part). But this is 4-years. Montgomery needs no justification, his success at YSU was massive. Despite this, YSU did not give him the team.

Secondly, we dumped Eric Wolford after about this same time & he had some decent players as well. I respect how Phillips rebuilt our lines, where Wolford basically told most of our defense to "get lost". However, after that early debacle, Wolf really did nothing to deserve losing his job, aside from being here when Pelini was looking for work.

As to me being hypocritical ... no I do not feel so. If you think that Phillips has given us even a small fraction of the teams that Jon Heacock gave us (even in his second 4-years), then you have no expectations for improvement. YSU fans no longer have the expectation of playing Tressel ball, they just want to win at any cost. Just look how Pelini raped our team but people still loved him because he won. BTW: Tressel never won the conference & he had his backside handed to him by GA Southern in his final game as a Penguin, so just how truly-full was the cupboard that he left? Maybe somewhat full for an independent, but not enough food to survive as a Gateway/MVFC club.

Jon Heacock tanked this program.  Whatever exciting games he had (I will grant you the 2006 playoffs were exciting), the end result was this program was way, and I mean way worse when he left compared to when he took over.

I remember trying to listen to his coach's show on the radio back in the day.  He would just make these lame excuses.  He was painful to listen to.  YSU should have never renewed his contract.

You say the same thing all the time, and it STILL does not make it so. Not even worth the effort. If you want to go "tit for tat", then we can; but I have done it too many time before. Just read the book. Just go out to the YSU official site at look at the record book. Pretty easy to do. All of your questions will be answered. All the records and every schedule is in the book. Names of all players as well as many of their vitals. All coaching records there as well.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2023, 09:08:41 PM »
Well said YSUGO.  I agree on everything you mentioned.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2023, 08:51:32 AM »
Do you guys think that a little better performance and Wolf would still be here over Bo? Not sure on that, but I would like to think so. Hard to beat a big name at a small price though. Both Wolf and Bo could have used a little stronger defensive coaching. We were putting up record numbers on offense and still losing . I understand the MVFC was changing to a little more progressive style of play, but still.