Author Topic: Derek Rivers First Round?  (Read 5329 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Derek Rivers First Round?
« on: April 27, 2017, 04:14:48 PM »
So, the NFL draft is today. I think there is a stupendous chance of Derek going in the second round, as he has alot of upside for any team, but what do you all think of his chances of going late in the 1st round? I think its possible.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Derek Rivers First Round?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 04:28:13 PM »
So, the NFL draft is today. I think there is a stupendous chance of Derek going in the second round, as he has alot of upside for any team, but what do you all think of his chances of going late in the 1st round? I think its possible.
Most sport news experts have him being drafted in the 3rd round since they think there are 5 or 6 players in DE/OLB ahead of hm.
Vindicator said he would be watching the draft with his family at home. I think his agent would have him attending the draft in person if he was going to be drafted in the 1st round.
My 2 cents.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 04:46:18 PM »
First round!? Are you nuts!? Derek is a nice player but lucky if he gets called as high as the 4th round.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 05:59:37 PM »
No chance for Derek Rivers to get chosen in the 1st round. Yes, he is good, but there are several other defensive players that will be selected before him.

Most likely he will be chosen in the 3rd or 4th round, that is still very good and a great credit for his ability. His selection in the 3rd or 4th round will be great news for YSU football!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 06:25:17 PM »
Not in the 1st. But very well could go in the 2nd. I know many many teams are high on him. Including the Steelers who could use a pass rusher

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 06:39:03 PM »
Like I said, I think his chances of going in the second are very high. But I was thinking maybe he could go late in the first. You're probably right though and I'm looking with rose colored glasses.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 08:36:27 AM »
With perfect hindsight, I'm 100% sure not first round!  It would be great to see Derek go in the 2nd, but what is important for YSU is for him to perform ON THE FIELD.  Draft means S _ _ _.  Just look at all the Browns 1st rounders for the last 20 years.  What matters is what you do on the field.  I grew up hearing about "Ken Anderson of the Cinn. Bengals from tiny Augustana College" to the point I thought Tiny was actually part of their name.  That's because Anderson performed at a Pro Bowl level.  Anybody remember where the Browns Phil Taylor or Cameron Erving went to school?  Derek did a great job for YSU "on the field", now he can do good for YSU again, but only "on the field."
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 11:10:43 AM »
Rivers will be chosen tonight.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 01:49:46 PM »
Rivers is a project at the NFL level, but he scores so highly, was picked-up by a highly-regarded trainer, good bowl showing, excellent combine and then was heavily tested a second time at the YSU pro-day, so clearly everyone knows the potential is terrific. Then he out-performs a Nebraska transfer & has Carl as his DC; it simply does not get any better at his level. The key is whether or not someone wants to "step-up-to-the-plate" and take him ahead of others.

You know I was not a a fan of hiring Carl, with his past; but he is one thing that no other school at our level has. No one can ever deny his abilities & NFL people look past more from college than collegiate fans do. Fans always want to think their program is above reproach & I am no different.

Here is to hearing at least one Penguin's name called tonight!!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 03:51:15 PM »
Here here IAA! At least one Penguin tonight would be good  8)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 10:40:04 PM »
3rd round to the NE Patriots!!! Awesome Derek!!! Congrats!!!