Author Topic: Post- game Thoughts Jacks 24-10 over the Penguins.  (Read 22730 times)

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Post- game Thoughts Jacks 24-10 over the Penguins.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 09:01:50 PM »
Bo said after the game that Ricky's job is up for grabs

Ugh I got excited and read "Ricky"as "Monty" there, you got me excited.

Monty had a hand in recruiting all of these kids, the fact that we are regressing speaks volumes.

I really liked the 4th down call of option after Davis was visibly limping the play before  :o :o :o :o :o

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 09:13:38 PM »
Penguin Nation, how many points has Ricky put on the board the last 2 games. I see an offense that has regressed since he took over.  We have no passing game at all now,  which now has slowed our running game. Funny how Wells wasn't a running QB but he was still putting points on the board and making the throws upfield.  That isn't happening now.  When Hunter took over he had to put points on the board because our D wasn't any good. Now with a better D and a healthy line an a receiving core that is supposed to be better Ricky isn't getting it done.  Honestly I was hoping he could because of how bad I want us to win.  I have seen enough football to know that right now Ricky isn't our future.  That might change.  The only way to change that is to make him a game manager and in this offense that demands so much QB IQ it's not happening.

I understand your frustration.
Ricky's shortcomings don't make Wells a better QB.  Ricky has had zero INTs pre-concussion, and 5 (i think) since.  He's not the same guy who took the field at the beginning of the season.  He was limping today and really shouldn't be playing.  I suspect if he were healthy, he'd be a very different QB, but who knows. We've tried Wells.  It wasn't good.  I actually initially thought Wells was the answer when he had a strong Spring camp last year, but I was mistaken.  That's the pattern under Monty...QBs regress....they all have.  The issues with the offense include the receivers and the o line also...basically everything Monty is in charge of.  I think Ricky needs time to heal and refocus.  I'd start Mays who I think has potential to be something special.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 09:25:12 PM »
No but it makes him a better QB than Davis. Don't start babbling just the obvious truth. We cannot throw the ball, then again, this line would be hell for Wells too ...so who knows?

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Post- game Thoughts Jacks 24-10 over the Penguins!
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 09:34:06 PM »
Penguin Nation I agree.  Hess seemed to never improve.  How many All conference wr's or lineman have we had lately?  i guess my point is for both QB's is Monty didn't use them right and put them in good situations.  2 many 2nd and 3rd and longs.  Ricky was playing great till WV into the third qtr.  I felt we needed to protect our QB's in that game because in the big scheme of things we need them for the rest of the season.  He hasn't been the same.  I think we all no the answer here.  It's  a coaching thing here.  I agree about May.  Let Ricky heal up and Monty should stay on the field as well to coach up these kids. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 09:34:25 PM »
No but it makes him a better QB than Davis. Don't start babbling just the obvious truth. We cannot throw the ball, then again, this line would be hell for Wells too ...so who knows?

Not necessarily.  Davis misses every open person on the 2nd and 3rd reads.  If he hit 30% of those it would open up the passing game, but instead he runs when the 1st read isn't there so the defense just pins their ears back and shuts us down.  You aren't looking at it the right way.  We could have won that game.  We have the athletes to do it.  We have a better chance with Mays because he makes his reads.  He is also the only person to score TD's in the last 8 quarters.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:45:55 PM by penguinpower »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2016, 11:28:02 PM »

Not necessarily.  Davis misses every open person on the 2nd and 3rd reads.  If he hit 30% of those it would open up the passing game, but instead he runs when the 1st read isn't there so the defense just pins their ears back and shuts us down.  You aren't looking at it the right way.  We could have won that game.  We have the athletes to do it.  We have a better chance with Mays because he makes his reads.  He is also the only person to score TD's in the last 8 quarters.

I am not saying Wells over Mays ...just Wells over Davis.

YSUGO I am not sure we all do know the answer here. Saying it is coaching ...in what way? Dump the staff? Make them get in there and motivate these kids, change the offense again? Mo one here seems to be willing to admit to certain things:

1. We are not executing (most prominently on offense) and that has nothing to do with play calling; unless the offense is not suited to the players ...ie: to hard or not suiting our talent. Do we have the wrong players, are those we have not motivated? That is recruiting, that is coaching.

2. This offense is not the style of offense that racked up all the yards and points just a couple of years ago ...even just last year. It is also not the style Montgomery wants to run or he would have do it back then. Maybe I am wrong, but he could have done it before. Annual figures are commonly available ...it is obvious.

3. Our defense is very vulnerable. Everything we do is "all or nothing" we have no balance of any kind and when we do ...offenses have their way with us. we pack the front and stop the run, then we get burnt deep or short. We blitz and they go end around and beat us on the ground. We were not as good in guessing today, so we had a couple of scores we should not ...and the offense gave them two short fields today.

There is so much more, yet we waste time calling for a coaches head because it seems so simple. Most HC's go to their coaches & coordinators ...where is our media & where are coaches Shane and Carl to answer some questions? Usually coach Shane is interviewed at least once a week.

Everything we want (with possible exception of the conference crown) is ahead of us. We can win 3 of 4 and we do not face Western ...which would probably be a loss as well. IF we make the post-season I will be very happy. I am not looking for a title ..I am a realist. I would love a home game and also to win it and advance in front of the fans. If that happens, we have next year to look forward to.

BTW ... Hess improved dramatically. I never thought he would start. He truly maxed to his potential and his running (well scrambling) improved even in his senior year. His leadership was unquestioned. Look how many times he took the team on his shoulders win or lose? Say what you want about Wells, but he did the same. The only time I saw that this year was Mays last week and Hosick in the major scrimmage.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:30:42 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2016, 11:39:15 PM »

I am not saying Wells over Mays ...just Wells over Davis.

YSUGO I am not sure we all do know the answer here. Saying it is coaching ...in what way? Dump the staff? Make them get in there and motivate these kids, change the offense again? Mo one here seems to be willing to admit to certain things:

1. We are not executing (most prominently on offense) and that has nothing to do with play calling; unless the offense is not suited to the players ...ie: to hard or not suiting our talent. Do we have the wrong players, are those we have not motivated? That is recruiting, that is coaching.

2. This offense is not the style of offense that racked up all the yards and points just a couple of years ago ...even just last year. It is also not the style Montgomery wants to run or he would have do it back then. Maybe I am wrong, but he could have done it before. Annual figures are commonly available ...it is obvious.

3. Our defense is very vulnerable. Everything we do is "all or nothing" we have no balance of any kind and when we do ...offenses have their way with us. we pack the front and stop the run, then we get burnt deep or short. We blitz and they go end around and beat us on the ground. We were not as good in guessing today, so we had a couple of scores we should not ...and the offense gave them two short fields today.

There is so much more, yet we waste time calling for a coaches head because it seems so simple. Most HC's go to their coaches & coordinators ...where is our media & where are coaches Shane and Carl to answer some questions? Usually coach Shane is interviewed at least once a week.

Everything we want (with possible exception of the conference crown) is ahead of us. We can win 3 of 4 and we do not face Western ...which would probably be a loss as well. IF we make the post-season I will be very happy. I am not looking for a title ..I am a realist. I would love a home game and also to win it and advance in front of the fans. If that happens, we have next year to look forward to.

BTW ... Hess improved dramatically. I never thought he would start. He truly maxed to his potential and his running (well scrambling) improved even in his senior year. His leadership was unquestioned. Look how many times he took the team on his shoulders win or lose? Say what you want about Wells, but he did the same. The only time I saw that this year was Mays last week and Hosick in the major scrimmage.

I think you are delusional.  The game plan was wrong. Mays is a better QB.  The OC and his picked starter (pun intended) never gave us a chance.  They left the defense on the field the whole game.  The game plan was wrong.  ThE QB is wrong.  Total disaster.  As I have stated in the past, use the run to set up play action.  Instead we use the pass to set up the run and the run is our strength.  I am sick of watching the ineptness.  Stop defending Montgomery already. I can't believe you can't see it.  Good coaches call plays that fit their personnel.  Our OC does not and doesn't make the necessary "in game" adjustments
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:53:44 PM by penguinpower »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2016, 12:48:03 AM »
1AA,  It's what we recruit and we scheme and game plan to the talent we have and the talent our opponent has.  We will use Wells.  He is the classic  pro set QB.  He was done at Fairless constantly at Hunters games.  He knew his strengths and weaknesses.  Smart kid, can throw a good deep ball and intermediate ball and no mobility. Decent release. But our offense is completely the opposite of what his strengths are. Davis technically is the better fit better athlete.  Going back to Wells why would you not  adjust the offense to put the kid under center as well as shotgun.  Run play action recruit some better receivers and make it work. What hurt Wells last year he lost Nate Adams and I thought our Wr's were terrible last year and honestly they are not much better this year. 

Then last week happened.  Our backs are against the wall and we went to power football and we were moving the chains again.  I thought Mays did a decent job of game managing and with our line we powered to a win.  Ruiz got hid 20 carries Webb and the other running back got their 10 -15 carries that game.  There was our identity.  So what happened today.  WE ACTED LIKE LAST WEEK NEVER HAPPENED.  We come out throwing and running out of the spread.  We constantly have 2nd and 3rd and longs.  We never isolate WEBB.  He is our homerun threat.  I thought bailey had speed but we never use it.  I honestly don't get it.  I feel we are still a 6 0r 7 win team as it sits.  I am tired I will talk about some other stuff tomorrow.

A Penguin for life!!!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2016, 08:45:45 AM »
The Sycamores will bring a high powered offense to town this Saturday..We need to score some points it's that simple. Defensively they do a pretty good job of stopping the run, but give up about 270 yards a game through the air. I haven't seen enough of Nathan to say if he can throw down the middle with success in this conference. As far as passing goes Ricky is better then Trent and the right decision was made.. Bo should consider talking Hunter into staying for the next two years and just let Shane run the offense he wants to run..I can't even imagine how good we would've been the last few seasons with this year's defense and special teams play

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
The QB play was a nightmare.  Second week in a row the QB throws the ball straight to a defender and there wasn't a penguin within 10 yards of anyone.  I cannot process the lack of intellect, lack of coaching preparation, and poor game planning. 

Charles Grove got it wrong..  This game was not a mismatch.  Are there areas where there are mismatches?  Yes but it goes both ways.  We have a better DL and linebackers.  They have better receivers etc.  This was a coaching problem

When you play a team that you are matched up well, at their place, with a packed stadium, you must stick with what got you to this point in the season not abandon it when you face a little adversity.  We needed to establish the running game and if they were blitzing, screens, draws, slants would have helped us.  There were open receivers our QB didn't see.  The OC (And I refuse to call him Monty like he is some sort of legendary fixture that deserves a nickname) didn't even coach the kid up, or pull the plug, or change his game plan, or put the other QB in for a series.  What Montgomery did was nothing.  We took on water and he either didn't realize it or care.  And if you argue that he made changes, I will tell you they were all wrong.  Instead of bailing water he brought in a fire hose and filled the ship up faster by employing a pass first strategy with our QB.

Davis hasn't scored an offensive TD in more than 8 quarters of play.  The last TD came against Illinois State on what he called a "back shoulder fade" and what looked to me like a helicopter jump ball.  He is the worst QB in division 1 football right now and he has regressed since the WVU game and Montgomery is accountable for it.  He is going to piss away an National Championship level defense. 

It looks to me that he was satisfied with the UNI win and instead of trying to get better, he coasted during the week and came up with another, and I emphasize "another" piss poor game plan, with zero adjustments, and misuse of our personnel.

Not all of this is on Montgomery, because the untimely penalties killed us, but he never gave them a chance and I bet you the players knew it.  He needs to be fired if he cannot find a way to maximize his talent or fit the system to his talent.  That is the sign of a good coach. He shows none of these signs.  To stick to your guns the way he does shows me that he is unaware of his escalating commitment to serve what he thinks the offense needs to be for the sake of his system when he doesn't recruit the kids he needs for it.  Tens hire tens and sevens hire fives.  We are dealing with a five.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:24:26 AM by penguinpower »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2016, 09:29:59 AM »
Bo is bound determined to have success with the option..To have success you must first have an accurate passer who makes good decisions. We have better receivers on this team then most would think with a great group of pass catching tight ends..You are right power we had alot of guys open..I can't put all the sacks on the O-Line. Ricky wasn't stepping up and keep his eyes downfield on most of them

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2016, 10:01:30 AM »
So what we have is in a nutshell is 2 different offensive philosophies clashing. Ego wins here I guess.  I guess this week will tell us what to expect the rest of the year.  Since Bo has took over we are near the bottom of many offensive categories in the conference on offense.  I checked he gets pd till feb of 2019 128k a month.  He isn't going anywhere and right now neither is our offense.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2016, 10:03:34 AM »
The QB issue rest on Bo.  We knew we didn't have a QB going into the year.  He went out and got a transfer who was not better (maybe worse) than what we had.  What a FU.  Most teams bring in a stud transfer QB who takes over.   

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2016, 11:56:21 AM »
At this point of the season we are not getting new players, not getting any new coaches, so we must trust that everyone steps up and takes care of business.

Anything can happen but I like our chances of finishing with maybe just 1 more loss.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2016, 12:52:51 PM »
YSUGO I agree. I know that I saw a high-powered offense putting up close to 400-yards of offense per game and anywhere from 34.5 to 38.5 average points per game for 7-years. This was even as recent as last year. This lasted for years as we had terrible DC after terrible DC under Wolf. This offense was changed and I do not believe that a new HC coming at the same time is a coincidence. I know that we had these number under Wells and Hess. Both drop back passers. So it is not blindly supporting an OC. It is looking to him to take the measures needed to return to those numbers. It is looking to him for answers.

We have FAR away from an national championship caliber defense. Again we focus our efforts. What we have is a matured defense with a few very vulnerable areas that are not as matured. WVU and SDSU saw those and exposed them.