Author Topic: SDSU Week  (Read 38948 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: SDSU Week
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2016, 05:23:32 PM »
We were yelling "Savon" last couple weeks. I hope we show tomorrow. We need our LB's to stay home and cover TE's and slant passes. We need our secondary to stay home and cover WR's. We need DE's to give the pressure. We need the offense to produce points.

Go Guins!!

You're going to need more than a LB to cover our TE. Hes too fast for a LB.

Could be, but if you line him out wide, I would hope coach Carl put a corner or SS on him. If your TE gets past, he should then hopefully be picked up by the safety.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2016, 05:57:06 PM »
Defense wins championships.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2016, 06:12:34 PM »
Watched the first half of SDSU-Cal Poly.  Cal Poly mixed up their defensive schemes, but was getting significant penetration even in a 3-4 only rushing 3.  Taryn was injured and left the game, but I think his ankle is still an issue.  I've got to believe our penetration will be better, especially rushing 4 including #s 11 and 9.  I know CP ran a triple option, but I'm strictly referring to SDSUs offense.  It will be fun to watch.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2016, 01:59:22 PM »
Thanks Nation!  I really think that our defense has played outstanding to date.  I expect the same this weekend.  I know it is an offensive scheme unlike we have seen this year (except maybe WVU).  And while I respect the strength of the Jacks, I believe our Defense will play as they have all year.  Together without backing down.  I think our offense can get some yardage as well.  Lets Go Guins!

Z

Offline Thumper 76

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2016, 02:13:11 PM »
Watched the first half of SDSU-Cal Poly.  Cal Poly mixed up their defensive schemes, but was getting significant penetration even in a 3-4 only rushing 3.  Taryn was injured and left the game, but I think his ankle is still an issue.  I've got to believe our penetration will be better, especially rushing 4 including #s 11 and 9.  I know CP ran a triple option, but I'm strictly referring to SDSUs offense.  It will be fun to watch.
I don't know if thats the game I would pick to watch to judge SDSU, but if I were Pelini thats the one I would use to try to figure out how to defend them, maybe. Still put up 31 points with a massive disadvantage in TOP. I would use the NDSU game as a better judge of how the SDSU offense handles a good D line. NDSU chose and interesting stratagy of don't get beat by the long play and it did work for them better than any other defensive scheme. I have a hard time believing SDSU does that poorly from inside the 5 again, but its certainly possible and proved to be the best performance in keeping SDSU off the board by a long shot. The next lowest score SDSU has put up outside of the NDSU game was the Poly game you referenced, and that was 31 points.

I fully believe that YSU has a FBS level defensive line, but I also believe that SDSU has a FBS level offense. As I referenced before, there was only one team to put up more points on FBS TCU in regulation, and that was Oklahoma. I'm extremely intrigued by this game to see what happens. The biggest key for YSU is to not let SDSU jump up by a score or more early. That was half the problem in the last match up. Interesting to note that Pelini has struggled with facing the Jacks offense for some reason. Even when he was at Nebraska and they were ranked #6 they won because of a "review malfunction" and a TD called back on a phantom call, and SDSU was one of two teams to have a back with over 100 yards rushing on that defense. Now it was Zenner who did it, but thats still an interesting thing to note. Stig has seemed to have Bo's number offensively so far.

Also of note, SDSU db leader Dallas Brown is listed as a starter after being out last week.