Author Topic: Defense!Defense!Defense! Post-game thoughts after destroying The Panthers!  (Read 8940 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Yes we destroyed them.  We controlled the 4th qtr. Our O line beat them up the whole 2 half.  Mays can do this.  We can play power football.  Being strong on the lines wins championships,  we dominated on both lines.  Again special teams won the battle.  We control the conference right now.  We don't need to be cute . Monty stay on the field.when you watch the tape it's obvious our strength is our power running game.  Use the run to set up the pass.  We don't need to play spread 85 % of the time take most of the snaps under center use the spread when needed and protect our QB's.  We got this if you look at the obvious.  Go YSU!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 10:38:23 AM by YSUGO »
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
OSU gave up a rushing TD..we are the only ones left to not have done that.  Very impressive.  Mays needs to step up.  I thought Northern Iowa was dirty!  They were hitting late and hit Mays several times when he was defenseless.  Pelini wanted to go out and drill that number 93.  Great second half win!  Defense is unreal.  Power run game is back.  Need to start hitting the tight ends now!  Getting exciting in the conference.  Let's see how we respond to going on the road to Hobo Country!

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Yes we destroyed them.  We controlled the 4th qtr. Our O line beat them up the whole 2 half.  Mays can do this.  We can play power football.  Being strong on the lines wins championships,  we dominated on both lines.  Again special teams won the battle.  We control the conference right now.  We don't need to be cute . Monty stay on the field.when you watch the tape it's obvious our strength is our power running game.  Use the run to set up the pass.  We don't need to play spread 85 % of the time take most of the snaps under center use the spread when needed and protect our QB's.  We got this if you look at the obvious.  Go YSU!
Good post YSUGO..The O-Line is strong enough that we should've been under center the entire year. Not sure who's decision that was, but I'm still giving Montgomery tons of credit for what he has done. When you can run with undersized backs the way we have its a good problem to have. Cameron Bricillo has done a excellent job with the lineman following up on run plays for the extra push and yardage after initial contact

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Nest defensive performance since 1994.  They played hard every single down.  Outstanding!

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Nest defensive performance since 1994.  They played hard every single down.  Outstanding!
Ditto! 8)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
There have been a lot of games since 1994, including a national championsihp in 1997, but it was and OUTSTANDING effort by the D, and matched by the effort on O and in the kicking game.  As Bo said, it was a terrific TEAM effort. 
I want to note, I thought UNI was the dirtest team I've seen play at YSU.  Cheap shots on QB after getting rid of the ball were many and often.  Cheap shot to May's head after pitch in last drive could have been life threating, and although the flag was thrown and helped set up winning TD, the player should have been ejected.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
There have been a lot of games since 1994, including a national championsihp in 1997, but it was and OUTSTANDING effort by the D, and matched by the effort on O and in the kicking game.  As Bo said, it was a terrific TEAM effort. 
I want to note, I thought UNI was the dirtest team I've seen play at YSU. Cheap shots on QB after getting rid of the ball were many and often.  Cheap shot to May's head after pitch in last drive could have been life threating, and although the flag was thrown and helped set up winning TD, the player should have been ejected.

That Montana team in 94 was bad  >:( One Montana player even took a piss in the end zone after the game  ???

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
That Montana team in 94 was bad  >:( One Montana player even took a piss in the end zone after the game  ???
Guess we don't exactly agree on "dirty" vs. "disrespectful".  Going at a QB's head is over the top, and can't be allowed.  Pissing in the end zone is certainly disrespectful, but nobody is going to get hurt (unless he is careless with his zipper!)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:54:31 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Guess we don't exactly agree on "dirty" vs. "disrespectful".  Going at a QB's head is over the top, and can't be allowed.  Pissing in the end zone is certainly disrespectful, but nobody is going to get hurt (unless he is careless with his zipper!)
[/quote]

Nooooooo!! They were dirty mother *^&@#$!!! Late hits OB, chop blocks, head hunting etc... So they were DD  (dirty and disrespectful) ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 12:42:10 PM by ysubigred »

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Im sure that the UNI posters on AGS will probably say it was the other way around--they are still hot about the clock keeper cheating them out of the last second--regular posters Clownz and Crapped in Calif. are still maintaining that UNI's vaunted defense is significantly better than ours.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Defense!Defense!Defense! Post-game thoughts after destroying The Panthers!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 01:10:25 PM »

Great performance, and as go guins mentioned I also recall the 97 team having some excellent defensive performances, including the championship game.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 01:56:54 PM »
A super, super defensive performance by the YSU defense!! Here is some NCAA stats on defense:

Top defensive team (yds gained by opp. per game) in !AA:
#1 Chattanooga
#5 YSU
# 18 UNI

Defense 3rd down conversions:
#10 YSU     23/83    .277% conv.

Offense 3rd down conversions:
#14th YSU  43/92    .467% conv.

We are near the worst in turnovers (12) 4 fumbles and 8 interceptions. With that said; the defense has been stellar for our first 6 games. We still have 5 more MVFC games and none will be easy.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 01:59:30 PM »
Im sure that the UNI posters on AGS will probably say it was the other way around--they are still hot about the clock keeper cheating them out of the last second--regular posters Clownz and Crapped in Calif. are still maintaining that UNI's vaunted defense is significantly better than ours.

well with 3-picks and that speed, they earned a right to argue. We never tested their back-half. I counted 6 questionable hits on our QB's. Only 1 was called. That first one on Mays was terrible. The kid was already nervous and he was not looking.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 04:00:29 PM »

[/quote]

well with 3-picks and that speed, they earned a right to argue. We never tested their back-half. I counted 6 questionable hits on our QB's. Only 1 was called. That first one on Mays was terrible. The kid was already nervous and he was not looking.
[/quote]
I obviously agree on the cheap hits by UNI, but as far as D is concerned.  If you give up two TD's to loose a game on 30 running plays and only 2 passes, you don't claim anything except exhaustion!  We rushed 43 times in the SECOND HALF.  They had 31 for the game.  You got beat up on both sided of the ball.  UNI, you can claim -0- as far as better D!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 07:39:58 PM »
I want to note, I thought UNI was the dirtest team I've seen play at YSU. Cheap shots on QB after getting rid of the ball were many and often.  Cheap shot to May's head after pitch in last drive could have been life threating, and although the flag was thrown and helped set up winning TD, the player should have been ejected.

That Montana team in 94 was bad  >:( One Montana player even took a piss in the end zone after the game 

???

Don't recall the year but I remember a WIU player doing the same thing along the sideline.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 07:43:51 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne