Author Topic: YSU Football conference oppenents  (Read 37471 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU Football conference oppenents
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 12:13:50 PM »
True, but if you look at the aggregate, not only one stat with a small sample size, SDSU is an offensive powerhouse.  any team that can trade punches for a few rounds with TCU gets respect in my book.
I'm not downplaying SDSU's success against the Frogs, but 41 points is the LEAST they have given up, and they are usually an offensive jugernaugt, but not so much on defense. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 01:56:01 PM »
1AA
I think you are being a little hasty with NDSU being "done".  I think you are underrating Charleston Southern (pre suspensions) and Eastern Washington

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 02:11:23 PM »
1AA is on the loony pills, my word.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 02:11:46 PM »
 Experts predict 6 teams will make it to the post season this year from our conference i can only see 5 going. I think the majority of offenses in the Missouri will put a ton of points on the board and we need to be ready to score as well. SD, Western, Southern, and YSU will have the best shot at being one of the 5 teams. Not to count Indiana St out, but I feel this isn't their year. Missouri St. is off to a 2-0 Start and has brought in a high amount of transfers, but they are still unproven in conference play..The selection committee will take a hard look at the non-conference schedule this year and that advantage will go to our conference foes
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 02:28:25 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2016, 02:48:07 PM »
UNI is not vulnerable, especially for us. NDSU is done. SDSU is, by far, the best team in the conference. ILS is good, but not as good as people think; there is your vulnerability. We will be upset by USD as well; we cannot perform well against them either. The key will be to go 7-4 (with a good rest of the year showing by what I fear is a poor WVU team, that will be contacting Bo at year end).

So if we lose to SDSU, UNI and USD. We have got to take out NDSU, ILS and hope WIU has some bad games.

It's going to be a long conference season if we lose at home to USD.  Beating Weber State is impressive, but we have much stronger opponents after them.  I agree that SDSU is a likely loss, but games at home, like UNI, need to be, and should be wins.  NDSU is struggling this year, but no way are they "done" lol, but I do think we beat them in the Fargo dome. I don't think things are going to go well against Iowa..at all.  If we have a second conference loss, it'll be @ ISUr, but I still believe SDSU will be our only conference loss.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2016, 02:54:52 PM »
Experts predict

"Experts predict" huh?  Experts predict everything from the sky is falling to the earth is warming.  An "Expert's prediction" and about $4.99 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks!
Math comes into play here.  10 teams, with 8 conference games.  That's 40 games lost. 6 non-conference losses so far, and unlikely to go 10-0 this week. So let's say the conference has 50 combined losses.
I see a lot of parity in the league and so I see about 3 teams 7-5 and 3 more 5-7  That's 2 on the top, + 3 @ 7-5 for 5 in the playoffs.  Math says for 6 there is just too many losses in the 5-7 group.  A couple would go to 4-8.  Based on logic, not "fan-talk," YSU is in the 5-7 group.  You bet I hope for 7-5 and playoffs, but I go game by game and I can't get there! 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2016, 02:59:44 PM »
I don't think I am underrating Charleston southern, they run a more traditional option offense and that is going to catch anyone off guard ...outside of the teams in the SoCon. Heck I fully expect the Carson Wentz's to beat Iowa, as Iowa is the most over-rated team in FBS. NDSU should lose no less than 4 conference games, so maybe they are not done ....yet. Pretty close.

It is the little things that tell me so:

- Against EWU ...9 defensive penalties and giving up just under 500-yards of offense (in regulation) tells me that the CW's struggled to contain EWU.

Mostly, they are done because I say they are done :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 03:01:54 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2016, 03:07:37 PM »
1st off Go Guins we only play 11 games not 12. A 6-5 record will not get you in playing 2 N.E.C. Schools. A 6-5 record and playing Big Sky opponents and beating them will ☺
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 03:32:42 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2016, 03:34:55 PM »

Mostly, they are done because I say they are done :)

Finally, an honest man!  I know you know they are far from "done" but we can hope for a win Nov. 5!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 03:39:49 PM »
1st off Go Guins we only play 11 games not 12. A 6-5 record will not get you in playing 2 N.E.C. Schools. A 6-5 record and playing Big Sky opponents and beating them will ☺
OK, you got me on the 11 vs. 12 but that increases the strength of my argument based on math, rather than weaken it.
You still have the same number of losses, just less total wins.  More chance of a losing record, not less.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2016, 03:50:44 PM »
Nick DeLuca wasn't even supposed to play in their last game because of a severe shoulder seperation. He comes into the game and can't even lift his one arm. He intercepts the pass with his other arm and takes it to the house from 70 yards away. Mr. Deluca and NDSU will say when it is over..

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2016, 03:57:07 PM »
OK, you got me on the 11 vs. 12 but that increases the strength of my argument based on math, rather than weaken it.
You still have the same number of losses, just less total wins.  More chance of a losing record, not less.
We just Need to go 5-3 in conference play and the rest will take care of itself..Head to head wins over a conference opponent with the same record is never a gurantee for a spot in post season these days

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2016, 03:58:18 PM »
Nick DeLuca wasn't even supposed to play in their last game because of a severe shoulder seperation. He comes into the game and can't even lift his one arm. He intercepts the pass with his other arm and takes it to the house from 70 yards away. Mr. Deluca and NDSU will say when it is over..
I agree, "done" is the results of activity on the field, not off, and especially not due to comments on blogs!  We probably should note the NSDU record is what.... 2-0 and last year at this point was what ...... 1-1 on their way to ANOTHER national title.   Maybe their best team, but YSU, at least on D, isn't as good as last year either.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2016, 04:08:13 PM »

[/quote] We just Need to go 5-3 in conference play and the rest will take care of itself..Head to head wins over a conference opponent with the same record is never a gurantee for a spot in post season these days
[/quote]

I agree.  But get me to 5-3 in the conference.  I see "trouble" with ISU, NIU, SDSU, NDSU, and I don't see SD, SIU, ISU and MSU as walkovers.  Personally I see more opportunity to go 3-5 than 4-4 and I don't see 5-3 anywhere. With the obvious youth at WR, the OL issues, but mostly the "back to a Wolford quality secondary", show me where you get the 5 wins?

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2016, 04:17:09 PM »
Your right Go Guins..Not going to be easy!!