Author Topic: Spring Football Practice Updates  (Read 37345 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Football Practice Updates
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2016, 01:38:26 AM »
Everybody is going have to different opinions about the QB. Don't need to pencil in a starter in the spring, long way to go.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2016, 09:38:23 AM »
Everybody is going have to different opinions about the QB. Don't need to pencil in a starter in the spring, long way to go.
Couldn't agree more.  In fact, posted a week ago that we will be deep into FALL practice before we have an idea who will start, and even then we will see some kind of a rotation.

What's with the bickering beteen posters here?  You guys miss Paladin?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2016, 10:47:19 AM »
I'd really like to see Will thrive here back home in Youngstown.  This must be very frustrating for him.  I hope he mends quickly and gets back on the field.  Unfortunately, there are many other key injuries with Kuhn, Moore, and Harvin.

From the Vindy:

"....senior receiver Will Mahone (Austintown Fitch) was wearing a walking-boot and missed his second consecutive session. He exited Friday’s practice after injuring his ankle and may be done for the spring schedule.

“We won’t know that for about another 24-48 hours,” Pelini said. “He had a foot injury before he came here. So it might be something we have to get fixed or it may just be something where we need a little bit of time.

“But I think regardless of what happens, he’ll be ready for fall camp.” "

http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/mar/22/jackrabbits-influence/
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2016, 05:15:34 PM »
I hope everything works out for the injured. I especially hate to see that for both Ryan and Mahone. In the 2015 class I thought we signed some bigger running backs in the 225 plus range, but they are know where to be found on the roster. Don't get me wrong I love all of our running backs and they are dynamic, but it's just that element of power between the tackles THAT REALLY HURT US LAST YEAR. Other Missouri conference teams have never had problems like this. Heck the running back from Robert Morris was what 250 plus pounds and he out ran most of our defenders..why the problem?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 05:38:00 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2016, 05:36:22 PM »
Good insight Fever. Any word on the WR's? Very interested to see how that group turns out.
One of the younger WR's really stood out to me on Monday. # 81 RFR Ryan Emans. He's possibly one of the best route runner's we have and created lots of separation and caught everything that was thrown his way.. Julian Edelman type of mentality

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2016, 07:36:01 PM »
Hey guys. I'm off the next 8 days after working straight 12s the past 7 days. Are any practices open this week?

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2016, 08:08:16 PM »
Yo- You will have know problems just walk right in. This isn't like the Eric Wolford Era where he occasionally closed practices to keep former Vindicator sports reporter Joe Scalzo out ☺

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2016, 08:15:32 PM »
What time is the next practice?

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2016, 08:22:47 PM »
They were off today..Tomorrow and Thursday @3.. I believe they return to the field April 2..Saturdays practice start @9

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2016, 07:27:59 PM »
It was great talking football on here but heading back home now. The one concern for me overall is the interior of the defensive line. We return 3 players there with limited experience.  It would be nice to have more depth at certain positions, but most programs are in the same boat. If this isn't a big year I'm going to be disappointed. Bo and his staff have talented kids to work with that are building a great work ethic. We need to pray for good health and get off to a good start, because the road games will be tough. Please keep me updated on spring practices and the spring game..thank you fever!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2016, 10:35:33 PM »
Heard a rumor about them trying to bring a DT FBS transfer but have not been able to confirm yet.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2016, 04:00:44 AM »
Nice article today in the Vindicator on Ricky Davis. Nice to see him step up and improve..

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2016, 08:28:32 AM »
   FEVER, thanks, and I'll miss your updates.
Chief, I agree it is nice to see kids stepping up; it bodes well for them in their adult lives, because as the commercial says, almost none of them will make their living in athletics.  IMO this is the most depth we've ever had at QB.  Good grief, Mays is no better than 4th, and I think, given a chance, eventually he could play.  I suppose he is the heir apparent to Nania!
I agree with fever, it would be nice to have some of the excess QB depth at DL, and he is also right, with the 1AA depth, health is always a big issue.  I think the key player for us this season is Moore and he looks like a no-go so far.  Too bad, he seems like a kid with a great attitude.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2016, 10:26:05 AM »
I've always thought that Davis has the most upside to his game if he could be more consistent with his throwing. Looks like he's starting to get going on and that's a nice sight to see.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2016, 04:28:33 PM »
I've always thought that Davis has the most upside to his game if he could be more consistent with his throwing. Looks like he's starting to get going on and that's a nice sight to see.
  I don't know what upside means with a QB that can't throw consistently.  To me it reads like "he is a good pitcher that can't throw, a good fielder who can't catch, and a good freestyler who can't swim.  99% of the time, this is terminal to a QB's performance.  Peyton Manning and Tom Brady have it; Weedon and Derrick Anderson do not.  If you measured arm strength, (IE, the way Paladin looked at measuring QBs) Manning and Brady were never in the top half of the NFL QB's yet are all-time GREATS.  Because they can read and throw accurately.  I don't see this in Davis, not at all.  Remember, spring practice is for conditioning and learning the system.  Performance means NOTHING.  In the history of the NFL, one team and one only finished 0-16.  Their record in preseason that year?  4-0  And NFL preseason is much more meaningful than college spring practice.  AI isn’t all wrong:  “what are we talking??  PRATICE?  We’re talking PRATICE?!?!?”