Author Topic: Chad Zallow Named Horizon League Male Track and Field Athlete of the Year  (Read 5116 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Youngstown State freshman Chad Zallow has been selected as the 2016 Alfreeda Goff Men's Track and Field Athlete of the Year, the league announced Friday. It marks the first time that the award has been handed out prior to the conference meet which starts on Saturday in Youngstown.

This is the third conservative year for a male YSU track and field athlete received this honor. Zallow joins Austin McLean who won the award in 2015 and Bobby Grace who was chosen in 2014.

Zallow's first year with the program has been nothing short of spectacular as he broke and improved the YSU school record in the 60-meter hurdles five times.

Zallow's latest record-breaking time is 7.69 seconds that he ran at the Zips Invitational. With that time, Zallow currently holds the second-fastest time in the 60-meter hurdles in the nation.

As the season opened with the YSU Icebreaker in December, Zallow set a new school mark in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 7.89 seconds, blowing away the previous record mark of 8.13 seconds.

Zallow continued to improve his record as he ran a time of 7.88 seconds at the YSU College Invitational.

At the Penn State Invitational, Zallow clocked a time of 7.79 seconds to lower his school record.

During the SPIRE NCAA DI Invitational, Zallow improved his record with a time of 7.75 seconds and was ranked 10th in the nation at that time.

In the 60m dash he clocked in a best time of 6.83 seconds and 21.98 seconds in the 200m dash during the season.

He came to YSU as a highly-touted High School star following a tremendous career at nearby Warren JFK High School.

Zallow will look to win his first Horizon League titles this Saturday and Sunday at the conference championships.

The Horizon League Track Athlete of the Year Award was renamed to the Alfreeda Goff Athlete of the Year Award this offseason in honor of former Horizon League senior associate commissioner Alfreeda Goff. Goff, who worked at the Horizon League for 16 years, is one of the most recognized administrators in intercollegiate athletics. Before moving into athletic administration, Goff served as the track and field coach at the University of Pittsburgh. She currently sits on the advisory board for the Bowerman Award, the highest accolade given to the year's best student-athlete in American collegiate track and field.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Chad Zallow Named Horizon League Male Track and Field Athlete of the Year
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 12:30:11 PM »
No surprise here. I hope he retakes the nation's fastest time in the HL championships. I think he will go straight to the national meet. I think Grambling has a good shot at the ladies POY.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 08:54:17 AM »
IMO track meets aren't much of a spectator sport, even if you have family participating. (And I've been to a bunch of kids and grandkids track meets!)  But this kid makes me want to go watch him run! 
Great job Chad. 
Does anybody know if he could be YSU's first Olympian?   He should be right in his prime in 2020.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 11:40:41 AM »
Way to go Chad.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »
IMO track meets aren't much of a spectator sport, even if you have family participating. (And I've been to a bunch of kids and grandkids track meets!)  But this kid makes me want to go watch him run! 
Great job Chad. 
Does anybody know if he could be YSU's first Olympian?   He should be right in his prime in 2020.
I hope he will be an Olympian someday. However, he needs to increase the distance to 110 m. 110 m is the standard distance for the event in the Olympic. Does anybody know if he has ever run 110 m high hurdle?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 02:46:45 PM »
He is very fast and very quick to run like than indoors.  He has 4 years to develop strength for longer distance and outdoors.  Matter of health and heart.
Hope he has a ton of both, as we would all LOVE to see YSU alum in Tokyo Olympics!  (even Paladin, although I'm sure he wants the track coach fired!)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 05:52:49 PM »
Wonderful news! Hats off to him