Author Topic: BO PELINI: THE NEW HEAD COACH AT YSU  (Read 44037 times)

Offline edpuskas

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: BO PELINI: THE NEW HEAD COACH AT YSU
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2014, 02:29:21 PM »
And a guy who has made the playoffs 3 teams and been bounced in the 1st round every single time. No thanks.
You do understand YSU hasn't made the playoffs since 2006 and that was the only time it's happened since 2000, right?

I do, but besides a pay increase and coaching in the best conference in FCS.... He's still coaching in the FCS! He had a good run at Wake Forest as DC, congrats. I heard he has a job offer from Vandy to be their DC. Why wouldn't he take that job? I just feel like Tressel and Strollo really need to make a big splash. Not saying Pelini, but a bigger than than Dean Hood, sorry.

Obviously, if Pelini wants to be here and the financial details can be worked out, it will be his job. But aside from Bo, who qualfies as a big splash for you guys? If Pelini is out of the equation, you should be more concerned about hiring the right guy.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2014, 02:40:40 PM »
What makes you think this is that great of a job ? It is really not hard to understand why many hold this place in contempt looking at many of the comments.  Who do you want that would ACTUALLY come ? Pelini, for being the "big time" coach that   he is, is an a$$. Didn't win a title. Underperformed.

Hood, because of his Urban connection, might be, in addition to his recruiting, getting some "cast-offs" or transfers from OSU. While I'm not saying hire this guy, the arrogance here is stifling. Its still FCS. Its still second rate. Its still with limited success since the Tressel years. It doesn't pay much in the scheme of things, yet you fail to see the big picture of a successful FB coach working here and getting back to the playoffs. You just fired one who won more than he lost. Forget about winning a National title again. At that rate , the 1000 who attend will continue to dwindle. Surely you aren't all that dumb ?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 02:43:18 PM by paladin »

Offline CommodoreSteel

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2014, 02:41:50 PM »
I was told his agent leaked the story prematurely.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2014, 03:04:10 PM »
I was told his agent leaked the story prematurely.
Wofford's agent leaked before he was fired and Pelini's agent leaked before was hired. What is with these agents?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2014, 03:05:23 PM »
Give me a name Pally. Who do you want?

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2014, 03:07:16 PM »
Just curious.  Why would we fire an MVFC HC w/ a record of 54.4% career wins for an OVC HC with a record of 59.8% wins?  Actually, Wolford's win % is HIGHER than Hood's the last two seasons.

This is a downgrade if true....and worthy of the contempt of the 1,000 or so YSU fans that are left.
Good point!! Eric wolford would win more then 59.8% of his games if he was a head coach in the O.V.C.- There is one other mystery coach out there besides Hood that we have not heard of that will surprise everyone

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2014, 03:22:07 PM »
I do, but besides a pay increase and coaching in the best conference in FCS.... He's still coaching in the FCS! He had a good run at Wake Forest as DC, congrats. I heard he has a job offer from Vandy to be their DC. Why wouldn't he take that job? I just feel like Tressel and Strollo really need to make a big splash. Not saying Pelini, but a bigger than than Dean Hood, sorry.

Yes, but you see, the rumors are what has set the expectations so high. Let's get back to basics.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2014, 03:45:31 PM »
05  -- you still don't get it. Its not who I want or you want. Its WHO wants it. Pay is limited. Its FCS. Its not that great a job and has    high expectations. The fan base is delusional. And even if you win here you still get fired. Tough league. Tough job.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2014, 04:08:02 PM »
The only way Dean Hood, a HC from an inferior conference w/ a worse record the last 2 years than the guy we just fired makes sense is......if YSU is downgrading to the OVC......a move I would support.

If not, than this is a nonsensical downgrade in HC talent.

We passed on Brian Wright...who is 4-0 as interim HC of  an FBS/CUSA program.....unreal.

I still think Pelini is the next HC.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

CookieMonsterSig

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2014, 05:18:34 PM »
I also still Bo-lieve (sorry, had to) Pelini has a good chance to be our next HC.

I think a lot of the push back by YSU last night and this morning had more to do with Dean Hood on campus for his interview and trying to offer a semblance of fair search to the candidates.

I agree, a move to hire Coach Hood would not be received well by our fan base as he is having the SAME issues with the EKU program and EKU fans/community that plagued Coach Wolford.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2014, 05:32:06 PM »
I think a lot of the push back by YSU last night and this morning had more to do with Dean Hood on campus for his interview and trying to offer a semblance of fair search to the candidates.

Good observation. Also, the YSU comments appear to be carefully worded.  YSU did not say Pellini was not under consideration. Nonetheless, if Hood is on campus, he's deemed a stronger candidate than many people on this board realize. Says to me that YSU will settle for someone who is not an earth shaker.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2014, 08:41:02 PM »
Heard that assistant coaching salaries is holding up the Pelini hiring. Will know by Friday. Stay tuned.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Lets_Talk

« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2014, 11:01:58 PM »
I do not understand why Hood would be a bad hire? Can understand the excitement around Pelini. But, if that falls through, then Hood seems like solid candidate.

Time for people to realize that YSU football is nothing special any longer. This is Dec 2014, not Dec 2000 when YSU was just a few weeks removed from another playoff season, and there were high hopes for a possible title run in 2001.

Instead, it is 2014, YSU is coming off yet another non playoff season for the 13th time in 14 years, and 7th year in a row.

If Hood were to be paid comparable to what Wolf was paid, then YSU would be a step up in pay. The MVFC is a step up in terms of FCS leagues. With Tressel as President, going this long without making playoffs is no longer going to be tolerated. Yes, Tressel is the President, but he also understands the role football plays in the Youngstown-Warren area, and the role athletics can play with drawing people to campus. Whether it be prospective student-athletes, prospective students, alumni, family/friends of athletes, or just people from the community who may otherwise not set foot at YSU.

I can see why YSU would make sense for Hood, especially if pay is better. And, at YSU, he would have an opportunity to further build his resume as an HC. Much better chance to do so at YSU than to take an HC job at a bottom tier FBS program which has not had winning seasons in a long time.

To be honest, what is it all of this for Pelini. Many will say gets him back to Ytown area. Well, he could probably be hired at several FBS schools within 60-90 minute drive of YSU as either DC, or maybe even HC. Kent, Akron, PITT are places he could possibly be hired as a DC/Assistant Head Coach. Or, he could opt to just take a year off from coaching. He is going to get paid either way.

If he does get hired at YSU, expectations are going to be very high. And, by very high, I'm not talking 3rd place in 9-2/6-2 and 2nd or 3rd in MFVC, then losing in 1st or 2nd round of playoffs. I'm talking people will be expecting YSU to win the MFVC, which is no small task. People are also going to expect YSU to supplant NDSU as the dominant team in the MVFC and FCS. This, in spite of 1 playoff appearance in 14 years for YSU. Advance to at least semi-finals of playoffs NEXT YEAR(2015), and within 2-3 years MAX win an FCS Title. Going back home has it's pluses and minuses. And, if he fails to deliver at YSU, forget another HC job at ANY level of college football.

Just remember. When Tressel was hired by YSU, he was the 2nd or 3rd choice.  The first choice was Gerry Faust. I still remember Faust flying in on a helicopter for his visit. Fortunately for YSU, Faust chose Akron. And, when YSU hired Tressel, there was a collective "who is this guy"? Did not start of good either, going 2-9 in 1986, but the saving grace and sign of thing to come was the win over Akron in final game of the season. Kept Akron and Faust from an OVC Title and trip to playoffs. Gave YSU players something to build from in off season, and in 87 YSU made FCS playoffs for the first time. Tressel had no strong connections to YSU or Youngstown. Yet, now Tressel and Youngstown are seemingly forever linked in the annals of time(i pulled that last sentence out of an anal area).... HAHAHAHAHAHA  8) .

Lets_Talk

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2014, 11:07:18 PM »
Another reason for Pelini to possible want to wait. Coaching carousel is far from finished spinning.

Gary Anderson is leaving Wisconsin to become HC at Oregon State. And, it would not surprise me if there are more coaching changes at FBS level, and also in the NFL. Not thinking of Bo as HC in NFL, but definitely as DC or DB coach.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12011785/wisconsin-badgers-coach-gary-andersen-leaving-take-oregon-state-job

Also, as of 11pm Eastern/8pm Pacific, nothing on ESPN.com or CBSSportsline about Pelinin and YSU.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:09:53 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2014, 12:18:06 AM »
YSU is waiting on Bo, whether they want to admit it or not.