Author Topic: Athletic Budget Questions  (Read 14354 times)

Offline GOPENNY

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Athletic Budget Questions
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 12:15:02 PM »
GENERAL FUND ALLOCATION   
Scholarship Support                      $             4,552,066.00
Operating Support                     $             6,291,920.00
Total General Fund Support     $          10,843,986.00
TOTAL RESOURCES               $          14,031,486.00
EXPENSES   
Permanent Staff               $             3,809,818.00
Temporary Staff               $                447,722.00
Fringe Benefits              $             1,433,921.00
Debt Service (transfer)       $                152,660.00
Scholarships                       $             4,552,066.00
Operating                       $             3,635,299.00
TOTAL EXPENSES              $          14,031,486.00
[/quote]

Oh yes, much of the sports money comes from the student's tuition. The fee called the General Fee. That is why you would think students would attend sports events. All they need is a ID to attend. After all the students pay for much of the sports costs. Don't ya think. Also, do not confuse the General Fee ,which is tuition, with the General Fund. The tuition General Fee goes into the General Fund,  then moved to various university groups.

Ok I am  off to the mall, b4 the Ohio State game............go you BUCKS, GO YOU BUCKS
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 02:34:24 PM by GOPENNY »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 01:07:36 PM »
Some quick numbers:
Akron 5M in revenue, 19 million out of general fund.
I think Akron pays an additional 3.5 million from general fund just for the football stadium.

Kent 5.7 M revenue 19 million from general fund   
YSU 3.2 M revenue 10.8 M from general fund   

YSU Football budget 3.7M ,  1.5 to 2M from general fund.   

YSU 2015 athletic budget:
EARNED INCOME   
Football Tickets                      $                420,000.00
Basketball Tickets                     $                135,000.00
Guarantees                             $                755,000.00
Program Sales                             $                     7,500.00
Campus Vending Concessions     $                   85,000.00
Concession Commission             $                   45,000.00
Royalty Commission                     $                   40,000.00
NCAA Revenue Sharing             $                670,000.00
Program Ad. Sales/Recognition    $                170,000.00
Radio/Television Income             $                   55,000.00
Pouring Rights & Miscellaneous     $                125,000.00
Football Tailgate                     $                   65,000.00
Scoreboard Advertising:   
 Football                                     $                130,000.00
 Basketball                             $                   50,000.00
Stadium Loge Rentals             $                430,000.00
 Total Earned Income             $             3,187,500.00

Forgive me for beating a dead horse. 

The revenue from football-related revenue streams appears to make FB the #1 revenue sport for YSU...by far.  Basketball appears to be #2.  I don't see much evidence of a revenue generation from Olympic sports.

The question arises...how much revenue has YSU lost in the last 14 years due to an under-performing FB and MBB program?   Our former AD (now President) handed the premier FCS program to Strollo, and the program immediately deteriorates.  How much revenue has Ron Strollo cost YSU, and the community (local restaurants, etc) via neglect of the two largest revenue generating sports at YSU?

How does he remain so wildly unaccountable for his woeful job performance?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 07:02:15 PM »
You look at these charts and then consider how many schools play fast and loose with their figures.  Kent State reports a revenue total of 5.7 million.  OK.  They have no loge revenue.  As a member of a one bid basketball league, their NCAA revenue sharing is less than ours (we are still living off of the Butler runs.)  What few fans they have are students who get in for free.  And they claim that they acquired revenue 2.5 million greater than us.  Remember these figures were compiled before the bottom fell out of our football attendance. 

ValleyTalk

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 08:49:02 AM »
Just read this.... Excellent letter to the editor everyone should read:

@WeAreYoungstown:
Please read this excellent editorial from a former YSU faculty member on the idea of "academics over athletics." #YSU http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/dec/07/at-ysu-academics-amp-athletics-is-not-an/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM »
Just read this.... Excellent letter to the editor everyone should read:

@WeAreYoungstown:
Please read this excellent editorial from a former YSU faculty member on the idea of "academics over athletics." #YSU http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/dec/07/at-ysu-academics-amp-athletics-is-not-an/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Excellent read.

I would add that some non-student athletes chose Universities based in part on the athletic programs.  My daughter, for example, chose FAU over FGCU because (amongst other reasons) FAU has a FB program and would offer a more complete college experience.

I would also add that the expectations of the revenue generating sports should be higher than non-revenue generating sports, as the ROI increases.  It is absurd to allow revenue generating sports to languish in mediocrity for decades.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Spiderlegs

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 02:03:54 PM »
I'm finding the whole "academics vs. athletics" thing a red herring that helps each side. The academics like it because it triggers such an emotional response in favor of academics and in a self-serving way diverts attention away from small departments that probably need consolidation. The administration likes it because it diverts attention away from YSU's real financial issues like the university's high overhead.

I should add that I think that the athletic budget is out of whack, but not so much so that reducing it will fix YSU woes. The real problems are elsewhere.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 02:13:44 PM by Spiderlegs »

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 02:52:43 PM »
If you graduated from any college and you participated in athletics you experienced another challenge that students that did not participate cant understand.......  That is the beauty of these opportunities that cant be taken away....  For an employee to say such a thing they should be held accountable and fired.....  However, im sure the union will protect this person.... Its no different than the class warfare that plagues this country today...  Go to work, make a living, raise your kids right an shut your mouth...