Author Topic: 1a4ysu and coach  (Read 55381 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 1a4ysu and coach
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2014, 06:09:45 PM »
For sure, YSU should have been in the FBS/Ia sometime ago...................but now is the time to hire a coach and AD to take YSU to the level they belong.........Charlotte University plays a weaker  FCS schedule then
YSU. In fact Charlotte U was 5-6 this year in the FCS. But, Charlotte is going to the FBS next year. Charlotte has only been in the FCS two years and now is going to FBS.  Another thing, no more big money games for YSU if they stay in the FCS. In the FBS they can play a couple of big money games each year.
Couldn't agree more !! If we were in the Mac-East right now know one could touch us. The East leader Bowling Green who I judge to be the best team in the M.A.C. just got hammered by Ball St. who got beat by Indiana st. earlier in the year. December is such a critical month in the recruiting process for Y.S.U. at the F.C.S.. level. Considering the current state of the program it should be a cause for concern. I know the university doesn't want to rush and get it right but they better hurry !!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 06:33:17 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

CookieMonsterSig

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2014, 05:05:28 PM »
Sorry, I'm jumping in late here to the discussion but YSU to FCS is an absolutely ridiculous idea. When you consider the campus climate it makes the idea even more absurd. As someone who spends considerable time on campus (i.e.  I work there), the climate regarding athletics isn't positive. The faculty union cited athletics and their increased spending as a main reason for their rejection of the latest contract proposal. They even had button mades highlighting their views.

As a student I loved the idea of YSU moving up to FBS. However, once you take the fandom glasses off - you see there is no base of support on campus for the idea or a strong enough passion from an older and dwindling fan base. Increasing the athletic department budget in such a dramatic fashion would cause even greater unrest on campus and further the divide between the board of trustees, athletics, and the rest of the YSU campus community.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 11:23:00 PM by CookieMonsterSig »

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2014, 07:36:35 PM »
Sorry, I'm jumping in late here to the discussion but YSU to FCS is an absolutely ridiculous idea. When you consider the campus climate it makes the idea even more absurd. As someone who spends considerable time on campus (i.e.  I work there), the climate regarding athletics isn't positive. The faculty union cited athletics and their increased spending as a main reason for their rejection of the latest contract proposal. They even had button mades highlighting their views.

As a student I loved the idea of YSU moving up to FBS. However, once you take the fandomn glasses off - you see their is no base of support on campus for the idea or a strong enough passion from an older and dwindling fan base. Increasing the athletic department budget in such a dramatic fashion would cause even greater unrest on campus and further the divide between the board of trustees, athletics, and the rest of the YSU campus community.

Some good ole fashioned common sense!!  how refreshing!

Offline stuperman17

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2014, 07:49:12 PM »
Moving to FBS will never happen, and should never happen.  The money needed to make that jump is far too much and the community just fits FCS far better. 

Why play football with no chance to win a national championship anyway?...  I don't get it.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2014, 08:47:15 PM »
Athletics distracts, and even subtracts, from the mission of a University...which should be higher education.  Opportunities made available via athletic scholarships could still be made available through non-athletic means.

However, since in the universe we live in, college sports are the norm....sports can be a great way to obtain widespread positive publicity for a school.  During the 90s, while a grad student in DC, people would come up to me when I'd be wearing a YSU shirt and tell me about how they watched them on TV.

I'd either go all in or all out.  Either strive for excellence or put those resources toward academics.  The Slocum-ization of MBB, and the embrace of mediocrity, reflects poorly on the University....as an example.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

ValleyTalk

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2014, 11:42:39 PM »
Hypothetical: Do you think Ohio State's enrollment applications would be equal if their entire athletic program were wiped out??? Absolutely not. The same holds true, albeit to a lesser extent, for most all D1 colleges.

I'm a firm believer that academics come before athletics, but I'm 100% against the movement by some in academia to eliminate athletics altogether. I don't see coaches with tenure.

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2014, 02:27:13 PM »
mvfc penguin,

I am curious about the coming renovations you reference in your post?

talking about the new scoreboard, new lighting, new turf coming soon, expansion of the away side stands

ValleyTalk

« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2014, 02:31:17 PM »
mvfc penguin,

talking about the new scoreboard, new lighting, new turf coming soon, expansion of the away side stands
New scoreboard and new lighting are true.

New turf??? Absolutely not. We just got new turf 3-4 years ago.

Away side expansion??? Yeah because those 1,000 people at the November home games warrants such an expansion. Not happening.

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2014, 02:50:25 PM »
I can't believe this was a 5 page discussion. 

There is no chance on Earth the Penguins will convert to IA/BCS football.  If we didn't do it in the hay day of the program 15-20 years ago, we aren't going to do it now while the program is scraping rock bottom.

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
mvfc penguin,

New scoreboard and new lighting are true.

New turf??? Absolutely not. We just got new turf 3-4 years ago.

Away side expansion??? Yeah because those 1,000 people at the November home games warrants such an expansion. Not happening.

Do you see anything that every team in the conference has that we do not on our turf??? There is no Conference logo on our turf, plus the turf has so many seams on it that it is unsafe.

And as far as the away side goes... Just something that has been in discussion.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2014, 03:23:35 PM »
I can't believe this was a 5 page discussion. 

There is no chance on Earth the Penguins will convert to IA/BCS football.  If we didn't do it in the hay day of the program 15-20 years ago, we aren't going to do it now while the program is scraping rock bottom.
@CoachSamz: UAB dropping football while numerous FCS programs are lining up to move to FBS is just crazy

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2014, 03:33:25 PM »
New scoreboard and lighting are good to go. Expansion?? Lol @ that.

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2014, 03:53:58 PM »
what they need is to add bleacher seating in the stadium with backs for the non penguin club section, this will help get people to come out and enjoy the game

Offline GOPENNY

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Cheerleader
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2014, 03:29:42 PM »
I am a cheerleader. There are all kinds of rumors about making the stadium larger. I think that our team is
going to another conference.  I like sports. I do my studies and sports. People who just want to study
are bores. They are anti sports and don't want to spend money on us. But but most of the sports pay for a lot of their expenses. Teachers and students who say academics first, don't pay for anything. Most of the money comes from the state. Sports are not allowed to receive money from the state.  I hope we do change conferences.   I would like to visit the big campuses........

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2014, 06:52:42 PM »
Nope.  Too easy.