Author Topic: 1a4ysu and coach  (Read 54640 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: VOTE YES OR NO IF YSU SHOULD HIRE A COACH TO TAKE YSU TO 1a
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 09:01:28 PM »
Can we hire a coach that gets us to the FCS playoffs first?

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 1a4YSU
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 09:19:43 PM »
I think that patience is the key here. I believe that it is only a matter of time before the landscape of college football has some profound changes.

Certainly YSU does not have the cash to go to 1A as it is right now. In the same vain leagues like the mac do not belong in the same classification as the sec. At some point the real big boys will distant themselves from the 1A posers forcing the low end 1A schools to  rethink. My guess would be that the low end 1A and top end 1AA will merge.

This does not mean that YSU will ever be in the mac because they just do not want us, real simple. But we would be able to play them home and home and that will help
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

ValleyTalk

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2014, 09:39:59 PM »
The only discussion I've heard over the past years was a move for football only which would be cheaper than doubling our athletic budget.

However, as it stands, I'm against such a move. We need to be a top level program in our conference consistently (ala UNI) before we get into that discussion.

Offline 1a4YSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2014, 10:14:28 PM »
That is the best situation. However, YSU has passed those opportunities. Too many universities moved to FBS. YSU can not recruit the players to compete in FCS. The competition is too great with all the universities moving to FBS. The New Hampshires, the Dakotas and other far out regions of the U.S. have different recruiting possibilities. YSU can not compete with the far out regions of the U.S. recruiting areas. YSU needs to go to FBS. YSU will be very successful in FBS.

Offline 1a4YSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2014, 10:24:45 PM »
Observer says YSU has no tradition. Are you being goofy to attract attention or do you seriously believe such.
YSU was one of the most recognized programs in the U.S. , that is tradition. Unfortunately there are many as yourself that are disgustingly cynical.  Be positive, be supportive of a great program that can be successful again.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 11:25:03 PM »
That is the best situation. However, YSU has passed those opportunities. Too many universities moved to FBS. YSU can not recruit the players to compete in FCS. The competition is too great with all the universities moving to FBS. The New Hampshires, the Dakotas and other far out regions of the U.S. have different recruiting possibilities. YSU can not compete with the far out regions of the U.S. recruiting areas. YSU needs to go to FBS. YSU will be very successful in FBS.
You sound like a robot.

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 02:32:03 AM »
All that money to play in the MAC on a Tuesday night in front of a couple of hundred people is madness. Akron made the move years ago and they are playing all of those "big name" programs and they invested in a football palace and yet no body, absolutely nobody in their community gives a rats behind for their program if butts in the seats is an indicator.

kforbs126

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 08:31:36 AM »
Observer says YSU has no tradition. Are you being goofy to attract attention or do you seriously believe such.
YSU was one of the most recognized programs in the U.S. , that is tradition. Unfortunately there are many as yourself that are disgustingly cynical.  Be positive, be supportive of a great program that can be successful again.

Used to have tradition for sure.  Now no one cares and if they've heard about YSU its usually only connected to the Tressel era.  YSU got left behind when they didn't move up after winning all the championships like most if not all the other teams did. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 10:52:14 AM »
The only people who remember we have 4 national championships are youngstown people......

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 11:10:02 AM »
Would i like us to move up ...hell ya...but not happening without some big money boosters.  Covelli gave what 10 mil to Ohio St. We dont have enough wealth in this area that has money to throw around.  I have suggested  to change our Name to NORTH East Ohio University  so we could capitalize on a bigger market for $$$$.   
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline 1a4YSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »
I doubt anyone on this blog knows the costs of YSU going to FBS football. Also, YSU does not need to go to the MAC. A better fit would most likely be Conference USA (East).  Non conference games could be with MAC teams, Akron, Kent, Toledo etc.   

Offline 1a4YSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2014, 11:34:38 AM »
I watch ESPN and other channels that broadcast football games (sometimes FCS games). YSU is not always mentioned and that era, but quite often YSU is mentioned. However, time to move on and create a program that could be built on the memories of the 90s. The YSU alumni players, like Jaworski, McFadden,Stoudt, and hundreds of other players and hall of famers deserve such.   

I doubt anyone on this blog knows the costs of YSU going to FBS football. Also, YSU does not need to go to the MAC. A better fit would most likely be Conference USA (East).  Non conference games could be with MAC teams, Akron, Kent, Toledo etc.   

Spiderlegs

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 12:37:14 PM »
Yes and no. It's because there is no stated expenditure minimum other than the scholarship requirements for all sports, and those requirements that exist are not solely about football. Technically, YSU is close to meeting the requirements (see below), but that doesn't mean that it is a good idea. There are D-I FBS programs running all sports in the area of $15-20 million, but no one we would deem successful at a high level.  The minimum expenditure in Conference USA is about $25 million, about twice what YSU spends and it is questionable whether YSU can afford to spend what it does now.  It's one thing to get some big donors to donate to a campaign so that we can spend $25 million some season--it's another to sustain that campaign indefinitely and also match cost increases. Also, there remains the distinct possibility that the FBS could split in two, essentially making all but the Big Five a Super FCS.

Of course, you could start charging $50 to $75 a ticket for a football game, but if you started that next season, don't think our attendance numbers are going to suddenly swell. It will be the opposite.

The actual requirements for a D-I school to be in the FBS are as follows:

1. Sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the
minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth in Bylaw 20.
Sponsorship shall include a minimum six sports involving all male teams or mixed teams
(males and females), and a minimum of eight varsity intercollegiate teams involving all
female teams. Institutions may use up to two emerging sports to satisfy the required eight
varsity intercollegiate sports involving all female teams. [Bylaw 20.9.9.1]

2. Schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football contests against members of Football
Bowl Subdivision. Institutions shall schedule and play at least five regular season home
contests against FBS opponents. [Bylaw 20.9.9.2]

3. Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a
rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.9.3]

4. Provide an average of at least 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of overall
football grants-in-aid per year over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.9.4-(a)]

5. Annually offer a minimum of 200 athletics grants-in-aid or expend at least four million
dollars on grants-in-aid to student-athletes in athletics programs. [Bylaw 20.9.9.4-(b)]

You can read more at https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Football%2BBowl%2BSubqa%2B12%2B8%2B10.pdf

My feeling. Let's do the best we can and enjoy it. No sense jeopardizing the financial state of the university to be something we aren't ready to be. If some works out a manageable solution, great. If they don't, I'll still be attending football games anyways. I even come in the rain and snow.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 12:40:42 PM by Spiderlegs »

Offline 1a4YSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 1a4ysu and coach
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 12:51:26 PM »
SPIDERLEGS stated:Of course, you could start charging $50 to $75 a ticket for a football game, but if you started that next season, don't think our attendance numbers are going to suddenly swell. It will be the opposite.

However, Marshall a member of USA Conference sells prime seats for $25-35. With the proper marketing YSU could bring in probably .5 $ mil each home game. Ticket sales about $400,000, parking $10,000, Concessions $20,000, Tail Gaters $5000.00 not counting season tickets and lodges...........Tickets could be $20-35 not  $50 to 75. YSU prior to the current debacles always put more than 15,000 fans in the seats.........time to go FBS

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: 1a4ysu and coach
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »
This topic is getting almost ignorant.

1. There is not enough open funds for IA/FCS, but they could come up with it from the general fund. I for one would not want that. We are a school first.

2. We will hire THE best coach available for the resources that we can spend. If Urban Meyer calls tomorrow and says he wants the YSU job at $150k per year (plus incentives) ...there would be a press conference tomorrow night. IA/FBS or I-AA/FCS has absolutely nothing to do with it.

The expansion of our facilities and step up in conference should clearly point out to anyone that Strollo is thinking of the future. The obvious reason that any I-A/FBS conference would not have wanted us 20-years ago was the HS facilities we had. So instead of b****ing about the guy, realize that no other AD has ever done more to make this university athletically prosperous.

We act like the department is blind to all of the items that we discuss on this board ...they are not. Strollo knows more about attendance than any of us will ever know. BtW: it is not only YSU that suffers from this attrition ..we have multiple factors and I trust Strollo to address all of these. Also stop thinking that Tressel is you savior ...he will be involved with sports to the degree he is needed and not any more.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:53:56 PM by IAA Fan »