Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 237271 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #330 on: December 14, 2014, 07:33:07 PM »
Dana Balash brought up the coach from Oklahoma St. This morning on 570 this morning.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 14, 2014, 07:33:46 PM »
So what makes him a good candidate? Didn't see Ok St have too much success with him this year

Experience as OC at D-2.  On the hot seat and contract is up. Fans want him out.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 14, 2014, 07:36:37 PM »
Harbaugh won't be back with the 49ers.  Add him to the rumor mill   Just as good of chance.
It makes you wonder if Strollo wasn't prepared or YSU is a job you catch before you fall off the ladder.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 14, 2014, 07:48:48 PM »
I am not recommending Yurcich, just passing along info. Frankly ,I do not see great candidates flocking here. Pelini is b. S.  Strollo looks like a fool being played by him.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 14, 2014, 07:55:19 PM »
Exactly when did Pelini ever say he was coming to Youngstown?

Lets_Talk

« Reply #335 on: December 14, 2014, 08:27:30 PM »
Pelini has NEVER said he is coming to YSU. It has been said by ScooperPooper, and then was picked up by ESPN, CBS, some other National Outlets and all the Ytown media. And, some people on here will not let Pelini to YSU die.

To me, the ONLY reason for him to come to YSU is if he is desperate to be an HC next season, and he does not get hired by any of the FBS schools with HC openings. Otherwise, he ought not have a problem getting hired as a DC or at worst a position coach for a "power 5" FBS school or an NFL team.

As for Harbaugh, my bet is he goes to Mikchigan. Do not think Les Miles will leave LSU, and pretty certain Michigan would love to have Harbaugh. So too would the fans.

I think alot of people have forgotten YSU is in FCS, and a program that has made the playoffs 1 time in 14 years. Still one of the better jobs in FCS, but not a dominant program like when Tressel left. The rumors of Pelini to YSU have seemed to make people forget even more YSU is in FCS, is a shadow of the program under Tressel, and you do not get "big name" coaches taking HC jobs at FCS programs. Tressel was 33 years old and a position coach for OSU when he applied for the job at YSU.

Montana is a better program than YSU. The leading candidate for their HC job is Bob Stitt, who has been HC at Colorado School of Mines for the last 15 years. They are a D2 school.

Brent Pease, a former UM quarterback and currently WR coach at Washington is another possiblity. Pease is 50 years old and never been an HC at any level. He was OC/QB coach at Florida in 2012 and 2013 before going to UW. Another leading candidate is Ty Gregorak, the DC at Montana. He is 36, and has been an Assistant Coach at Montana for 11 years. He was TE coach at Central Washington University for 1 season before joining the coaching staff at Montana.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 14, 2014, 08:40:40 PM »
Sorry Lets_Talk
I should have used the sarcasm font when I mentioned Harbaugh

You made many valid points.  It's a shame that YSU's star has almost completely burned out.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 14, 2014, 09:05:10 PM »
I really wanna know what's going on in Strollo's head. He's ****ing the bed here.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #338 on: December 15, 2014, 07:31:43 AM »
I really wanna know what's going on in Strollo's head. He's ****ing the bed here.
Before you are so quick to judge, why don't you attempt to get all of the facts in the situation? I've been told it is a complicated situation that can best be described as "bizarre." I've also been told we should know something by tomorrow, unless yesterday's interview changed the dynamics.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #339 on: December 15, 2014, 08:22:28 AM »
Valley Talk,

It is hard to have all the facts, when Strollo is being so tight lipped about this whole process. YSU is a public university. What happened to the days when the names and backgrounds of applicants was made public by YSU? When the names and backgrounds of people being interviewed were made public by YSU?

I'm not talking having a tweet, by someone in the media. I'm talking the YSU Athletic Department letting the public know the names of people who have applied, and names of people given interviews.

As for Pelinin, if the situation is so "bizarre", then to me, it's time to wish Bo the best, and move on to other candidates. And, you say we ought to know something on Monday, but on Saturday you said to watch PoopScoop(my name for that site  ::) ), and there was NOTHING about the YSU job on the site.

There is no real reason for it to be this much of a mess. It was known entering the season, that if YSU missed the playoffs, and especially if it was 7-5 or worse and no playoffs, then Wolford would be fired. I understand YSU went into the NDSU game with an opportunity to win and make the playoffs, but odds of that were very low. So, why not have the search process started IMMEDIATELY after the loss to Indy State? I don;t know, maybe that did happen. The problem is, it's hard to know when Strollo and others in the Athletic Administration are being so tight lipped about everything. And, what that leads to is internet rumors, and then people such as yourself who may or may not have as much inside info as you claim to have, coming on here and making posts like the oe you just made. If this coaching search truly is "bizarre", then that does not bode well.

And, while all the secrecy? This is a Head Football Coach. If the names of applicants for University President are made public, then the names of finalists, and dates of their interviews, why not the same for hiring a football coach? You say something ought to be known Tuesday. Well, what is that something? And, what if Tuesday comes, and nothing new is known? Another poster, one I know has ties to people in the Athletic Dept and went to the same high school as Pelini, said this could take another 2-3 weeks. That person is not one to just make something up and post it on here. This does not mean it will take 2-3 more weeks, just means this search does not appear as if it will be over by Tuesday.

In the end, I do not care who gets hired. However, I do have a MAJOR issue with all the secrecy. And, I'm a freaking liberal for crying out loud. A "bleeding heart liberal", yet even I think the lack of transparency from a PUBLIC UNIVERSITY is total bulls#!t with a really, really, really awful odor.  :(

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 15, 2014, 09:16:16 AM »
It is hard to have all the facts, when Strollo is being so tight lipped about this whole process. YSU is a public university. What happened to the days when the names and backgrounds of applicants was made public by YSU? When the names and backgrounds of people being interviewed were made public by YSU?

I am not so concerned about Stollo being so tight lipped; however, this makes you think he doesn't have a plan or thought that applicants would flood his office.  Note: It makes ME think that way but that doesn't mean that is what is actually happening.

As for Pelinin, if the situation is so "bizarre", then to me, it's time to wish Bo the best, and move on to other candidates.

I can't find anywhere that Pelini said he was interested in the YSU job so I wish this could be put to rest for a while.

There is no real reason for it to be this much of a mess. It was known entering the season, that if YSU missed the playoffs, and especially if it was 7-5 or worse and no playoffs, then Wolford would be fired. I understand YSU went into the NDSU game with an opportunity to win and make the playoffs, but odds of that were very low. So, why not have the search process started IMMEDIATELY after the loss to Indy State?

AGREED

In the end I DO care who gets hired.  This is a big chance to right the ship and get back fan support.

Before you are so quick to judge, why don't you attempt to get all of the facts in the situation? I've been told it is a complicated situation that can best be described as "bizarre."

Which just makes me think there wasn't a solid plan in place when the decision came to remove Wolford.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #341 on: December 15, 2014, 09:49:03 AM »
Excellent points Scarlet Rock!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 15, 2014, 09:55:07 AM »
Before you are so quick to judge, why don't you attempt to get all of the facts in the situation? I've been told it is a complicated situation that can best be described as "bizarre." I've also been told we should know something by tomorrow, unless yesterday's interview changed the dynamics.

All the facts? What facts? All we hear are a bunch of rumors!! The longer this plays out, the more I think it's gonna be the same as last year and we're going to plan B or C.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #343 on: December 15, 2014, 10:08:42 AM »

I can't find anywhere that Pelini said he was interested in the YSU job so I wish this could be put to rest for a while.

Agreed. The frustrating part is we always seem to be two days from the big announcement. None of this makes sense if the top choice isn't a big fish like Pelini on the line or an FBS assistant with a bowl-bound team. If the pick were Hood, the deal could have been done last week and he could have moved into a temporary apartment over the weekend.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 15, 2014, 10:47:32 AM »
So basically, all of this boils down to YSU waiting on Pelini to tell them yes or no. Plain and simple.