Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 235647 times)

CookieMonsterSig

Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #270 on: December 12, 2014, 04:37:55 PM »
Chad Krispinsky (Sports Anchor at WYTV & Play by play for the YSU)

‏@ChadK426: If YSU misses out on Bo Pelini as football coach, another name to keep in mind: Oklahoma State Off. Coordinator/QB Coach Mike Yurcich.

Looks like it's another new name....getting the feeling YSU is conducting another search for candidates with regional ties (Western PA, Pittsburgh-area).

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 12, 2014, 04:45:52 PM »
The longer this plays out, the more nervous I get.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 12, 2014, 05:50:41 PM »
Joe scalzo reporting Brian Wright has withdrawn his name for consideration for the job. That's one guy out.

YEH!!
DOUBLE YEH!!

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 12, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »

Agreed

Please Mr. Strollo, don't screw this up!

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 12, 2014, 06:23:42 PM »

Agreed

Please Mr. Strollo, don't screw this up!

If Bo isnt the coach by Tuesday we arnt getting him

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 12, 2014, 07:09:01 PM »
Afraid that Bo may be saving us as his ace in the hole, if nothing better comes along then he may come. That may be fine to a point but I do not think that we should wait forever. We cannot expect the other candidates to just sit and wait
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 12, 2014, 08:09:18 PM »
We are not getting him.  Period.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #277 on: December 12, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
You base that on what?

There is a pretty good chance it will happen based on the folks I've been communicating with the last few days. Furthermore, Hannon was on 1390 yesterday and said he believes Pelini is very well going to be the guy. Hannon knows more than most here.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 12, 2014, 09:11:16 PM »
You base that on what?

There is a pretty good chance it will happen based on the folks I've been communicating with the last few days. Furthermore, Hannon was on 1390 yesterday and said he believes Pelini is very well going to be the guy. Hannon knows more than most here.

Why would he come here?  Because his kido could go to Cardinal Mooney?  No other reason.  This would be seen as a step back by outsiders.  If this was going to happen it would have already right?  Why is it taking so long? Do we really want someons that doesn't see us a his first or second choice?   Let's be real here.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 12, 2014, 09:59:42 PM »
Not that I believe these rules are followed but....
Maybe this might play into YSU's situation.

Wisconsin: Barry Alvarez has released the following statement: “We are continuing the process of finding our new head football coach. We have not offered the position to anyone. In accordance with University of Wisconsin hiring policies, the earliest we could make an offer to a candidate is Wednesday, Dec. 17. Any accepted offer would be contingent upon approval by the UW System Board of Regents.”

ValleyTalk

« Reply #280 on: December 12, 2014, 10:25:17 PM »
You base that on what?

Why would he come here?  Because his kido could go to Cardinal Mooney?  No other reason.  This would be seen as a step back by outsiders.  If this was going to happen it would have already right?  Why is it taking so long? Do we really want someons that doesn't see us a his first or second choice?   Let's be real here.
The saying goes, "easier said than done."

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 12, 2014, 11:18:55 PM »
I have never considered the Pelini rumor to be anything except an unwanted distraction; an internet driven frenzy that can only damage the guy who becomes our coach.  However, there is one person we should consider that might have a critical role in Pelini's ultimate decision: namely, his wife.  I don't know anything about her except that she is a Youngstown native, so this is pure speculation but not entirely unreasonable.  The family has attained multimillionaire status, so money might no longer be the only determinant.  Perhaps she is disgusted with the criticism her husband endured in Nebraska and is fed up with big time football.  Perhaps she has aged parents and feels the need to be close to Youngstown.  If this happens, and again I very much doubt it, she might play a role in the decision that we will never understand.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #282 on: December 13, 2014, 12:17:56 AM »
Wisconsin can offer the job to anyone at any time and announce said person as their new HC. The hiring will just not be official until the UW System Board of Regents meets on Dec 17th and approves the hire.

UNLV has announced Tony Sanchez as the next HC. The press conference was held yesterday, pending approval from the Nevada State Board of Regents, which is meeting on Dec 16th. At this point, it's a mere formality for Board of Regents to approve the hire. And, most likely, the same would be true at Wisconsin once Alvarez and UW-Madison Chancellor, Rebecca Blank have decided on the next HC for UW-Madison.

The official name for the school commonly called Wisconsin in athletics is University of Wisconsin-Madison. The BOR oversees EVERY school in the University of Wisconsin system, unlike at YSU where the hiring would be subject to final approval of the YSU Board of Trustees. Same is true at UNLV and UNR(University Nevada at Reno...commonly called "Nevada" in athletics to people outside the state), where the hire has to be approved by Nevada Board of Regents.

As for Pelini, I get the feeling YSU is his fall back plan, and for whatever reason, Strollo and Tressel seem to be willing to wait. Wisconsin or PITT is going to need an HC. Both schools will also need a DC. It is quite possible Oregon State will be looking for a new DC with a new HC. Not sure what the relationship is like between Pelini and Gary Andersen. I am pretty sure though that Andersen is NOT going to be taking the DC he had at Wisconsin with him to Oregon State after the 59-0 loss to Ohio State.

North Carolina has an opening for a DC.

There are going to be DC openings in the NFL. And, that may well include the 49'ers, as it is highly rumored Harbaugh is done after this year. Pelini got his start in coaching with the 49'ers. They are owned by the York Family.

Kentucky has an advertised opening for an Assistant Coach. No idea what position is open. This is an option due to the HC being Mark Stoops, a long time friend and former teammate.

North Texas has an opening for a DC
UNLV is going to need a DC
Tulsa will need a DC
Colorado State will need a DC
Michigan still needs an HC, let alone a DC
Kansas needs a DC
Houston needs a DC
Troy needs a DC
Florida may well still need a DC

So, there are several openings at the FBS level for DC's, and still a few openings for HC's, with one most likely being PITT. Then add in the NFL assistant jobs that will come open. No rush for Pelini, because he gets paid whether he coaches or not in 2015. And, the longer YSU waits, the more likely candidates interviewed early in the process are to withdraw their names from consideration. Waiting can also have a negative impact on recruiting. And, as myself and others have been saying, Bo is a solid coach. He has wealth of experience, he is from Youngstown, but NONE of that guarantees success at YSU. And, with Pelini as HC, success is going to mean winning MVFC Titles and deep playoff runs. Not simply making the playoffs.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 12:20:55 AM by Lets_Talk »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 13, 2014, 06:51:56 AM »
So if Pelini is all in.  What's the hold up!  because he isn't all in.  No offense but if you thought Wolford was a bozo...Pelini would make him look like a Saint. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 13, 2014, 07:39:13 AM »
So if Pelini is all in.  What's the hold up!  because he isn't all in.  No offense but if you thought Wolford was a bozo...Pelini would make him look like a Saint.

Right on.  If you get fired after 9 win seasons then you may have some hidden baggage right?