Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 238104 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #255 on: December 12, 2014, 09:50:02 AM »
Oh sorry I saw that ...I agree and like what he has done with the program.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 12, 2014, 09:57:16 AM »
Joe Morehead, Joe Moglia....any thoughts to Joe Merlino? :o

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 12, 2014, 10:28:48 AM »
Does anyone know if the HC at Coastal Carolina is interested or been contacted by YSU. He has done a great job building the program, and pay would not be an issue with Joe Moglia. Would seem to be just a question of him being interested in YSU and YSU being interested in Moglia.

He's in his mid-sixties so he's probably not interested in taking a 5 year gig at a new school.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 12, 2014, 10:29:43 AM »
Does anyone know if the HC at Coastal Carolina is interested or been contacted by YSU. He has done a great job building the program, and pay would not be an issue with Joe Moglia. Would seem to be just a question of him being interested in YSU and YSU being interested in Moglia.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/coastal-carolina-coach-brought-unique-portfolio-to-job/article_f8c1efb7-8ebb-588a-88db-ea689176d239.html

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/11/29/4638474/national-attention-continues-to.html

On another note, I agree with Soup City about there likely not being any kind of waiting time on hiring head football coach at a D1 University.

I would like this hire. Took a nothing program and built it into a solid contender. Head coaching experience at our level. Good call.

As somewhat of a negative, It is only fair to point out that he took a non-scholarship program and added scholarships. Fordham now sits as the only scholarship program in the Patriot.
On a positive note, I would also point out that their program is very rich in sports history, so that would be a big plus in understanding YSU fans.

Keep in mind coastal gets a lot of SEC transfers because of their location. Pickings are good there as it used to be for the mahonimg valley.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 12, 2014, 10:32:01 AM »
Joe scalzo reporting Brian Wright has withdrawn his name for consideration for the job. That's one guy out.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 12, 2014, 10:32:52 AM »
We will get a no name.  However, of all of the no names I would like to get Fordham's head coach.

Penguinpower -
Help me out on this one.  If Fordham's head coach just signed an extension through 2022, how does that work if he comes to YSU?
Wasn't he the OC at Akron during some of their worst seasons?
I agree....all signs are pointing to a no name.  Sounds like a reply from a Magic 8 ball.

Not sure how it would work, but this guy wins the games he is supposed to win and that says a lot.  Unlike what we have witnessed the last 5 years wondering which team will show up.  Fordham has done well in a partial scholarship league.  I am just saying if he is truly in the mix that he would be one I would prefer.  He has head coaching experience too.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:33:44 AM by penguinpower »

Offline 4lessgovt

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 12, 2014, 10:37:04 AM »
Fordham Head Football Coach Joe Moorhead's Contract Extended yesterday

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121114aaa.html

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 12, 2014, 11:39:33 AM »
Joe scalzo reporting Brian Wright has withdrawn his name for consideration for the job. That's one guy out.

YEH!!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 12, 2014, 11:40:25 AM »
Pellini is more likely to be the next HC than Joe Moorhead  fb

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 12, 2014, 12:01:04 PM »
Who hired Pelini at Nebraska?  Steve Pederson who is the AD at Pitt was at Nebraska prior to them running him out of town.  He returned to Pitt I believe a few years ago.... If there is a connection hopefully its a bad one..

According to ESPN, Chryst will be named Wisconsins Head Coach....

Offline Owlguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 12, 2014, 01:19:28 PM »
FAU is reporting that Brian Wright has withdrawn his name from consideration for the YSU job.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 12, 2014, 01:52:08 PM »
FAU is reporting that Brian Wright has withdrawn his name from consideration for the YSU job.

That's unfortunate.  Wright had the second best resume behind Pelini.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #267 on: December 12, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »
Yes Wright's withdrawal is a big loss. Too many people looking for flash and he was a good candidate.He had skills and inside program knowledge.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 12, 2014, 02:39:25 PM »
I have a sneaking suspicion that it's all or nothing with Pelini.  Unfortunately, you may see the other guy drop out as well.  As each day goes by, any other candidate is going to realize that they are Plan B, C, D, etc.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 12, 2014, 02:54:30 PM »
Wright was here and knew the program. When he left, he helped turn Montana St. around big time as their OC. Did a solid job at FAU. Good recruiter. He would have won here.

But, he's not a " Valley guy",  ;D