Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 235794 times)

Spiderlegs

Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #240 on: December 12, 2014, 08:25:28 AM »
Bo clearly doesn't want to be here. I get him shopping around for the best offer, but if he comes here now, it will be "he's the guy nobody else wanted." All this stuff about sending his kids to Mooney is clearly to play up to the locals--it's not high on his personal priority list. Furthermore, with the amount of money some FBS schools throw around, buying him out a YSU contract will be easy, so there's no guarantee that he'll be anything but a one-year caretaker.

Let's not repeat the mistake of the presidential search that gave us Randy Dunn and Gone. Let's find someone who can be enthusiastic about YSU. It might be harder to build the program in the short term that way, but in the long term, it will be so much better.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #241 on: December 12, 2014, 08:26:28 AM »
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the HC at Coastal Carolina?

As for YSU making the playoffs had they been in OVC, not so sure. Given what went on at YSU with Wolford, they likely would not have been able to beat EIU, with the exception of this year. And, would also have lost to Jacksonville State and EKU. Then, throw in a loss to a bottom tier team, the same way YSU losy to WIU at home this year, SIU at home in 2012 and Mo State at home in 2011.

What you have is YSU in 3rd place, or T2nd place and losing tie-breaker due to losing head to head. And, OVC is a 2 bid league, maximum. Also, YSU may not have had as much talent as they had due to playing in a league that overall is of lower quality. YSU had the talent player wise each of the past 4 years to make the playoffs. But, they did not have the talent coaching wise, thus made little mistakes that caused them to lose to 1 team 3 of the 4 years that had no business beating YSU, and also losing to the quality teams in the MVFC.

This year, YSU won on the road at SDSU, and followed it up losing 3 in a row, after narrowly escaping South Dakota.... In 2013, it was 3 losses in a row to end the season... In 2012, 4 losses in a row in October... 2011, win in next to last game at NDSU, then home lose to last place Mo State at home to end the season. That is a pattern, and no reason to think it would have been different were YSU in the OVC.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 08:34:33 AM by Lets_Talk »

kforbs126

« Reply #242 on: December 12, 2014, 08:32:55 AM »
Mystery candidate was just tweeted:

Per @JoeScalzo1 on YSU "mystery"
candidate,hearing via couple sources Fordham HC Joe Moorhead. He signed thru 2022 w/Fordham

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 12, 2014, 08:33:10 AM »
I'm starting to believe that Bo isn't coming as well.   If he was, this would have been done already.  He's waiting to see how everything shakes out with the big boys.  And of course, YSU will wait on him.  Which I'm really beginning to hate at this point.  But I guess that's part of the game.

Not sure YSU's policies, but Alverez said that the position has to be posted for 14 days before he can appoint a new coach.  If this is standard, many universities are in this situation and that keeps schools like YSU on the ropes and searching for a DII or III coach should all else fail.  Most AD's keep a short list of coaches, but it seems ours does not.  Unfortunately, YSU is not a dream job anymore which seems to give the AD an excuse to remain mediocre.  I hope we don't spend the next few years wanting Wolford back like many want Heacock.  I don't dislike either coach, but I never saw them getting YSU back to prominence.
Not sure about the athletic search. I have served on many faculty search committees on the academic side of YSU. Typically, we waited at least 2 weeks before holding the committee meeting (could be longer if not enough applicants in the pool). However, committee members could log on to the HR website to review the resumes of the applicants at any time after the process has started.
If the committee could not recommend any applicants and with no new applicants, the committee would declare a "failed search". At that time, the committee could change the job position requirements and the process would start all over again.
I don't believe this is applicable to the HC search since they probably have a large pool of applicants. However, they do have a time limit. Therefore, somebody will get hired to be the next HC.
My question is, why would we interview an applicant with 8 years left on his contract? Was his contract terminated? If yes, do we really want him?

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 12, 2014, 08:35:35 AM »
Bo clearly doesn't want to be here. I get him shopping around for the best offer, but if he comes here now, it will be "he's the guy nobody else wanted." All this stuff about sending his kids to Mooney is clearly to play up to the locals--it's not high on his personal priority list. Furthermore, with the amount of money some FBS schools throw around, buying him out a YSU contract will be easy, so there's no guarantee that he'll be anything but a one-year caretaker.

Let's not repeat the mistake of the presidential search that gave us Randy Dunn and Gone. Let's find someone who can be enthusiastic about YSU. It might be harder to build the program in the short term that way, but in the long term, it will be so much better.

The only way I see a coach like Pelini being a "one year caretaker" is if he would take YSU deep into the playoffs his first year - which isn't that what we are wanting?  You would expect that in order for that to happen, there would be a good cadre of assistant coaches so one of them could step in without sending the program into a tailspin.  Now in reality....??
Randy Dunn took what he felt was the opportunity of a lifetime.  He just left YSU in a horrible mess by doing so.
I agree with your last statement, but that is exactly what Wolford and Co. were trying to do - just never showed any great strides.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 12, 2014, 08:39:18 AM »
The question is why would a big name coach come to a F.C.S. program and risk having a mediocre season and jeopardize  their future at a B.C.S. program  and millions of dollars? With the recent upgrades and history at Y.S.U. it would be a nice stepping stone for a up and coming coach or a current assistant who has a burning desire to get people back in the stands and take the program back to where it was under Tressel and 250 k a year would be fine with them. There are coaches out there like this!! I have faith Y.S.U. will find the right coach and I'm ready to stand and support their decision

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 12, 2014, 08:41:36 AM »
Scarlet, I can understand that and it's all well and good.  Except, here's what ESPN is reporting about Wisconsin.
"Former Wisconsin assistant and current Pittsburgh coach Paul Chryst is poised to become the Badgers' new head coach, a source confirmed to ESPN.com.
An announcement could come as early as Friday."
Soup - not to argue, but is this the same ESPN that reported Bo to Youngstown?
I think Chryst will go to Wisconsin because he fits the criteria that Alverez has mentioned.  Also, didn't Anderson go to the Rose Bowl when Alverez stepped in as coach?  The 14 day wait is sort of a song and dance routine to me.
If Wisconsin announces their new coach today, it should speed things up for YSU as the coaching chase should get narrowed down quickly.
I can't say I want Fickell, but I don't remember people accepting Tressel.  My feelings are I don't think the YSU program can afford the few years to get back on track.

Scarlet, I got what you were saying.  I just don't believe there is any mandatory waiting period for a coach.  We're all good!!  :)

Lets_Talk

« Reply #247 on: December 12, 2014, 08:46:54 AM »
Does anyone know if the HC at Coastal Carolina is interested or been contacted by YSU. He has done a great job building the program, and pay would not be an issue with Joe Moglia. Would seem to be just a question of him being interested in YSU and YSU being interested in Moglia.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/coastal-carolina-coach-brought-unique-portfolio-to-job/article_f8c1efb7-8ebb-588a-88db-ea689176d239.html

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/11/29/4638474/national-attention-continues-to.html

On another note, I agree with Soup City about there likely not being any kind of waiting time on hiring head football coach at a D1 University.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 08:48:30 AM by Lets_Talk »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 12, 2014, 08:48:43 AM »

The only way I see a coach like Pelini being a "one year caretaker" is if he would take YSU deep into the playoffs his first year - which isn't that what we are wanting?  You would expect that in order for that to happen, there would be a good cadre of assistant coaches so one of them could step in without sending the program into a tailspin.  Now in reality....??
Randy Dunn took what he felt was the opportunity of a lifetime.  He just left YSU in a horrible mess by doing so.
I agree with your last statement, but that is exactly what Wolford and Co. were trying to do - just never showed any great strides.
Randy Dunn saw his dream job and took it. It just didn't like how he did it. I believe he found out the BOT wanted to run the university instead of him. He probably did not want to be a figure head and decided to jump to SIU.
I had several one on one discussions with him on academics and athletics. I thought he had a good vision for the university and a strong support for YSU in D-1 athletic programs.

When I have spoken with Tressel, he intentionally stayed away from the athletic discussions. He was more interested in discussing the enrollment and retention issues. In one meeting, he told the students to come to the games...... It is free.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 12, 2014, 09:17:17 AM »
We will get a no name.  However, of all of the no names I would like to get Fordham's head coach.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 12, 2014, 09:20:51 AM »
I heard from a grad-student at Iowa State and his rumor is that they are going to clean house with their football program.  Yes it is just a rumor, but would Mark Mangino come back to YSU as his swan song?
I realize he was getting a much bigger paycheck as an assistant and YSU couldn't even come close.

My understanding is the YSU players really liked and respected him.  Just a thought...or a wish.

"Please Mr. Stollo, don't screw this up!"

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 12, 2014, 09:30:42 AM »
We will get a no name.  However, of all of the no names I would like to get Fordham's head coach.

Penguinpower -
Help me out on this one.  If Fordham's head coach just signed an extension through 2022, how does that work if he comes to YSU?
Wasn't he the OC at Akron during some of their worst seasons?
I agree....all signs are pointing to a no name.  Sounds like a reply from a Magic 8 ball.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 12, 2014, 09:34:01 AM »
Does anyone know if the HC at Coastal Carolina is interested or been contacted by YSU. He has done a great job building the program, and pay would not be an issue with Joe Moglia. Would seem to be just a question of him being interested in YSU and YSU being interested in Moglia.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/coastal-carolina-coach-brought-unique-portfolio-to-job/article_f8c1efb7-8ebb-588a-88db-ea689176d239.html

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2014/11/29/4638474/national-attention-continues-to.html

On another note, I agree with Soup City about there likely not being any kind of waiting time on hiring head football coach at a D1 University.

I would like this hire. Took a nothing program and built it into a solid contender. Head coaching experience at our level. Good call.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #253 on: December 12, 2014, 09:39:39 AM »

I would like this hire. Took a nothing program and built it into a solid contender. Head coaching experience at our level. Good call.

As somewhat of a negative, It is only fair to point out that he took a non-scholarship program and added scholarships. Fordham now sits as the only scholarship program in the Patriot.
On a positive note, I would also point out that their program is very rich in sports history, so that would be a big plus in understanding YSU fans.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 12, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »

As somewhat of a negative, It is only fair to point out that he took a non-scholarship program and added scholarships. Fordham now sits as the only scholarship program in the Patriot.
On a positive note, I would also point out that their program is very rich in sports history, so that would be a big plus in understanding YSU fans.

Oh I was talking about the coach from Coastal not the Fordham coach