Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 235779 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #225 on: December 11, 2014, 10:47:02 PM »
Pelini couldn't get it done at Nebraska.... Good thing this isn't the Big 10 Pally, phew!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 11, 2014, 11:55:44 PM »
Paul Chryst get the Wisconsin job...

CookieMonsterSig

« Reply #227 on: December 12, 2014, 12:12:01 AM »
Paul Chryst get the Wisconsin job...

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is reporting Chryst to Wisconsin. This is the worst case scenario for YSU regarding Bo. Now a power 5 conference school within an hour of Youngstown is looking for a head coach. Their first call should be to Bo Pelini.

CookieMonsterSig

« Reply #228 on: December 12, 2014, 12:24:05 AM »
Interesting development with YSU: I'm told another candidate has popped on radar. (Not sure who.) He probably won't interview until Sunday.
https://twitter.com/JoeScalzo1/status/543235188961329152

Any bets on who the new mystery candidate who is pushing this through the weekend is?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #229 on: December 12, 2014, 02:01:27 AM »
Fickell will go to Pitt if not offered the WI job.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 02:02:55 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 12, 2014, 06:41:51 AM »
Fickell will go to Pitt if not offered the WI job.

Fickell to Pitt is a possibility.  Fickell to Wisconsin is probably wishful thinking by some Buckeye fans.
Alverez stated he is looking for a Wisconsin person which is why it makes Pelini to Wisconsin questionable in my mind. 

Please Mr. Strolo - don't blow this one!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 12, 2014, 06:54:07 AM »
I don't think Bo is coming.   Why would we be interviewing a mystery candidate on Sunday if Bo was actually going to sign?  This is taking way too long.   Bo to Pittsburgh seems more logical.  Fickle has earned some credibility with Myer over the last few games.

I don't think we should expect a big name.  If Bo was coming this deal would have been done.  Looks like they are still searching.

By the way......with the list of candidates that I saw so far,  ido rather have Wolford back.  Hell I'd even like to see Heacock with the recruiting staff Wolford has assembled.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 08:06:26 AM by penguinpower »

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 12, 2014, 07:48:19 AM »
I'm starting to believe that Bo isn't coming as well.   If he was, this would have been done already.  He's waiting to see how everything shakes out with the big boys.  And of course, YSU will wait on him.  Which I'm really beginning to hate at this point.  But I guess that's part of the game.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 12, 2014, 07:53:16 AM »
I don't think Bo is coming.   Why would we be interviewing a mystery candidate on Sunday if Bo was actually going to sign?  This is taking way too long.   Bo to Pittsburgh seems more logical.  Fickle has earned some credibility with Myer over the last few games.

I don't think we should expect a big name.  If Bo was coming this deal would have been done.  Looks like they are still searching.

By the way......with the list of candidates that I saw so far,  ido rather have Wolford back.  Hell I'd even like to see Heacock wi themail recruiting staff Wolford has assembled.

I agree that it is highly unlikely that Bo is coming. The typical search process YSU is that the search committee reviews all the applicants and invites up to 3 top choices to campus for interview. After the interviews, the committee could either reject all applicants or recommend selected number of applicants. In th men time, the application process remains on going until the position has been filled.
If Bo is the chosen, the longer the process takes, the less chance that he would accept. Right now, this is not good.
If no other applicants were recommended, YSU might continue to search for other candidates. This might be the reason why another candidate was to be interviewed this weekend.
Bo might either still be weighting other options or have informed YSU no. In this case, the new candidate might be an alternative to Bo (if he said no) or as part of plan B (in case Bo says no).

IMO, I do not believe that the candidates whom they have interviewed thus far (except for Bo) are acceptable.

Therefore, I think either we have already been turned down by Bo or we are still waiting for him to make up his mind. This does not look good at this time.

As for the EKU HC, he is not any better than Wolf. If YSU was in OVC, Wolf would have gone to playoff and he would still be HC today. I hope he is not th chosen one.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 12, 2014, 08:02:28 AM »
I'm starting to believe that Bo isn't coming as well.   If he was, this would have been done already.  He's waiting to see how everything shakes out with the big boys.  And of course, YSU will wait on him.  Which I'm really beginning to hate at this point.  But I guess that's part of the game.

Not sure YSU's policies, but Alverez said that the position has to be posted for 14 days before he can appoint a new coach.  If this is standard, many universities are in this situation and that keeps schools like YSU on the ropes and searching for a DII or III coach should all else fail.  Most AD's keep a short list of coaches, but it seems ours does not.  Unfortunately, YSU is not a dream job anymore which seems to give the AD an excuse to remain mediocre.  I hope we don't spend the next few years wanting Wolford back like many want Heacock.  I don't dislike either coach, but I never saw them getting YSU back to prominence.

CookieMonsterSig

« Reply #235 on: December 12, 2014, 08:08:19 AM »
The mystery candidate is.....Fordham HC Joe Moorhead.

@DanaBalash21
 Per @JoeScalzo1 on YSU "mystery"
candidate, hearing via couple sources Fordham HC Joe Moorhead. He signed thru 2022 w/Fordham

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 12, 2014, 08:09:33 AM »
Scarlet, I can understand that and it's all well and good.  Except, here's what ESPN is reporting about Wisconsin.

"Former Wisconsin assistant and current Pittsburgh coach Paul Chryst is poised to become the Badgers' new head coach, a source confirmed to ESPN.com.

An announcement could come as early as Friday."

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 12, 2014, 08:14:34 AM »
If you take a coach like Pelini, some feel he is damaged goods.  I think someone from a reputable DI program would bring in good assistants and we wouldn't have years of carrousel of coaching staffs looking for the right fit.  I don't see Bo coming to YSU simply because it doesn't seem like a logical next step for him at this point in his career.

I could see an assistant such as Fickell coming here, but that has its learning curves which I don't think YSU can wait on.

So if you take an assistant from a school preparing for a bowl game - when should you expect them to announce they are coming?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 12, 2014, 08:20:01 AM »
I don't see Moorhead leaving his alma mater Fordham after he just signed a big extension there.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 12, 2014, 08:23:14 AM »
Scarlet, I can understand that and it's all well and good.  Except, here's what ESPN is reporting about Wisconsin.
"Former Wisconsin assistant and current Pittsburgh coach Paul Chryst is poised to become the Badgers' new head coach, a source confirmed to ESPN.com.
An announcement could come as early as Friday."

Soup - not to argue, but is this the same ESPN that reported Bo to Youngstown?
I think Chryst will go to Wisconsin because he fits the criteria that Alverez has mentioned.  Also, didn't Anderson go to the Rose Bowl when Alverez stepped in as coach?  The 14 day wait is sort of a song and dance routine to me.
If Wisconsin announces their new coach today, it should speed things up for YSU as the coaching chase should get narrowed down quickly.
I can't say I want Fickell, but I don't remember people accepting Tressel.  My feelings are I don't think the YSU program can afford the few years to get back on track.