Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 235683 times)

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #210 on: December 11, 2014, 02:45:37 PM »
Pelini would get the casual fan interested in YSU again. Not sure if that's as big a concern as corporate sponsorship but I would imagine dwindling Penguin Club memberships and ticket sales have to be a little alarming to administration.

Wright and Hood, no one would care. Just like they don't care about playing anyone from our conference. They aren't local, so they don't matter.

Bo is local, and like it or not, that matters to a lot of people.

His record is good, but he didn't utilize the advantages of being at Nebraska. That gave him resources and support exceeding many of his opponents, and his record therefore is disappointing, that's why he is gone.

Kinda sounds like the guy we just let go doesn't it  :o

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 11, 2014, 02:47:34 PM »
This is bigger than people realize. This hire needs to get the fan base excited. I don't know who else is a candidate. Could be somebody we haven't thought of yet. The fan base and excitement is dwindling here in Youngstown. Just the RUMOR of Bo Pelini coming here got people fired up and excited. Who's to say he can't stay here for 2 to 3 years, get this program back into the playoffs and a contender, and then find himself a nice NFL job or another big job in FBS. The program would be in better hands than it ever has been.

I can't say that I would agree with those statements.  It would be easier for me to accept that, IF he brought along a "coach in waiting" as well.  2 or 3 years, albeit nice for recruiting and short term playoff goals (maybe??), would hurt future recruiting/playoffs IMO.  To replace an ENTIRE staff in 2 or 3 years would be ludicrous.  Now, don't get me wrong...it would be exciting to see him walking the sidelines at YSU.  BUT, a short stay doesn't do this program any good. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 11, 2014, 02:56:14 PM »
This is bigger than people realize. This hire needs to get the fan base excited. I don't know who else is a candidate. Could be somebody we haven't thought of yet. The fan base and excitement is dwindling here in Youngstown. Just the RUMOR of Bo Pelini coming here got people fired up and excited. Who's to say he can't stay here for 2 to 3 years, get this program back into the playoffs and a contender, and then find himself a nice NFL job or another big job in FBS. The program would be in better hands than it ever has been.

I can't say that I would agree with those statements.  It would be easier for me to accept that, IF he brought along a "coach in waiting" as well.  2 or 3 years, albeit nice for recruiting and short term playoff goals (maybe??), would hurt future recruiting/playoffs IMO.  To replace an ENTIRE staff in 2 or 3 years would be ludicrous.  Now, don't get me wrong...it would be exciting to see him walking the sidelines at YSU.  BUT, a short stay doesn't do this program any good.

Well, yes I should have put that in there. He needs to bring along for the future who will be the next head coach with him on his staff. I know what your saying.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 11, 2014, 03:00:04 PM »
Scalzo said in his latest blog post that "YSU is also talking to some Division II and III coaches".  If that is true and he's interested, I would rather see David Dean of Valdosta State get the job than Hood from EKU.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 11, 2014, 03:14:56 PM »
  Happy Penguin said it best, program needs a real shot in the arm.  A news conference with Pelini would draw hundreds if open to the public, Hood a handful of media only.

Rather new to this board, whats up with Paladin, why such an arrogant hater.  His comments that Hood might get some Meyer cast offs from Ohio State since they are buddies is laughable.  How many cast offs did we get from Ohio State with Heacock here and Tressel at OSU?

Also his commemts about being impressed with Hood's credentials at Wake Forest,  how is that more impressive than Pelini's credentials?  He was D coordinator on LSU team that won the national title.

If not Bo Pelini, will take awhile and return to playoffs to re-engage fan base.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 11, 2014, 03:43:34 PM »
As usual, everyone side steps the issue and can't name  THEIR standards for a coach. Opinions only. This is laughable. "Valley boy", come on down.  The Youngstown   mentality is alive and well.

If, and I say If Pelini comes here, its going to be a fun gig. He couldn't get it done at a place who had everything  while acting like a butthead and now he is to be the "shining" star at YSU ?   ;D

Y'all are in for some surprises. And disappointments.

Offline BarstoolCleveland

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 11, 2014, 04:11:44 PM »
As usual, everyone side steps the issue and can't name  THEIR standards for a coach. Opinions only. This is laughable. "Valley boy", come on down.  The Youngstown   mentality is alive and well.

If, and I say If Pelini comes here, its going to be a fun gig. He couldn't get it done at a place who had everything  while acting like a butthead and now he is to be the "shining" star at YSU ?   ;D

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 11, 2014, 04:14:55 PM »
The Valley mentality may be alive but at least its not a union protected position....  You either deliver or your gone....  Youngstown isnt the first to fall from grace or have an expectation in a sports program....  When the fans stop caring and its evident by the activity on this board they havent reached that point, then theres reason for concern..... Remember, defending yourself is fulll time job.... 

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 11, 2014, 04:36:01 PM »
I'd argue that fans stop caring when you have few butts in seats and YSU is there. They just tried a "Valley boy" and fired him . Now they want to hire another who was just fired from a failed job at a place that had everything going for it and you expect different results here ?  ;D ;D ;D ;D 

I'm telling you, its going to be a fun gig.  8)

Offline 4lessgovt

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 11, 2014, 07:14:44 PM »
per coachingsearch.com: Wisconsin: According to 247Sports, former Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini is in the mix at Wisconsin.

CookieMonsterSig

« Reply #220 on: December 11, 2014, 07:29:29 PM »
per coachingsearch.com: Wisconsin: According to 247Sports, former Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini is in the mix at Wisconsin.

I'm not worried about Bo & the Wisconsin job (I don't see Barry Alvarez hiring another Big Ten school's castaway) but more about what else could open because of the Wisconsin job. Paul Chryst, Pitt's head coach and former Wisconsin player and OC under Alvarez and Bret Beilema, is widely speculated to be a top choice for Wisconsin. If he leaves, Pitt (a school Bo interviewed at once before) sits wide open.

My interpretation of everything that happened today has been - YSU is waiting to hear the official word from Bo.

The question is how long do they wait.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #221 on: December 11, 2014, 09:16:04 PM »

Are you a YSU fan?

Honest question. That's all I want to know. Yes or no with your explanation.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 11, 2014, 09:28:51 PM »
Answer -- have been for 30+ years ( the last 20 buying Penguin Club seats) buying season tickets and not getting a "freebie" from some business guy. But, this past season I didn't buy tickets and watched online or TV. You personally have seen me at BB games for years ( and I stopped going  to those last year). Being critical of a team doesn't make me less of a fan than the cheerleaders , who are often mindless folks with no clue.

And now back to the peanut gallery where no one can quantify their  standards for a HC and apply it. YOU are the AD. Who do you hire and WHY ?   
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:30:00 PM by paladin »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 11, 2014, 09:41:55 PM »
I think we hire a D minded coach with experience as a DC. ... If you hire somebody the pay will be equal or better than what they are getting.  look at MAC or Tressels Coaching tree or one of his friends as well as some of our competitors in conference.  Probably need the state of Youngstown connection as well. And that means not Pellini...
A Penguin for life!!!

Lets_Talk

« Reply #224 on: December 11, 2014, 09:48:02 PM »
North Carolina just fired their Defensive Coordinator.

And, if Wisconsin were to hire Chryst, then PITT might have interest in Pelini, which would enable him to be close to Ytown if that is something of importance to him. Heck, he could live in say Columbiana, have a 45-60 minute drive to Pittsburgh and also be able to send his kids to Mooney.

This is why I think in the end, Pelinin will not be at YSU. Just too much still going on with the "power 5" programs in terms of Head Coaches and DC positions, not too mention DC jobs that will come open in the NFL.

And, hiring Pelini does NOT mean kids from Ytown/Warren/Sharon/New Castle that now go to FBS schools will suddenly decide they want to play at an FCS school. It also does not mean beating NDSU will be any easier, or that YSU will win the "money" games, as YSU will still be playing with 22 less scholarship players than the FBS school, and with a roster built for FCS, not FBS.

Terry Bowden had as much success or more than Pelini at Auburn, and was successful at Samford. But, so far, only losing seasons at Akron. And, that is at a school in a lower tier FBS Conference, that has excellent facilities, likely the best in the MAC.

And, Solich has not exactly set the world on fire at OU. They are a middle of the pack team in the MAC. Better than before Solich, but they are light years behind NIU in the MAC and behind Marshall, a school which is not all that far from OU.

Pelini would be an improvement over Wolford, but far from a guarantee he would turn YSU into a top 2 program in the MVFC, be able to beat NDSU regularly, UNI regularly, SDSU regularly, and make deep runs into the playoffs.

And just so people know, I have known Bo since he was in 5th grade. I like him. Always have. I know the Mark Pelini that people who only see him on tv or sidelines of a football game never get to meet. He is very intelligent. A god guy. Also hates to lose. Hated to lose as a player.

Now, as a HC, he hates to lose as much for his players as for himself. Has always had a temper when playing sports. Seems to be a Mooney thing  :-\. For those old enough, seems to be a St. Dom's/Mooney thing  :-X, only Bo went to St. Luke's, so St. Dom's connection does not apply here. We went to different high schools. Guys at my high school hated Bo. One, because in the 2 years he was starting QB at Mooney, my school lost both games. Second, because Bo was brash, confident and other players on HIS team fed of that. He is one of those people who if he is your teammate or coach, you love him, and if he is your opponent, you HATE him. Again, he is very intelligent, and knows how to psych out opponents. From a physical standpoint, he had no business starting at DB for OSU. But, throw in work ethic, knowledge of the game, instincts, competitiveness and all of the "intangibles", and it is a different story.

Another reason guys that played football at my high school hated Bo, is because he would tell the defense what play was coming, and then the defense would not stop the play. Then again, with Bucci, Mooney only had like 3-4 plays. But, at times, I think he went as far as to tell the defense which guy was getting the ball. That is how much confidence he had in his teammates. To me, that is not arrogant or cocky. That is being confident. And, if you know what is coming and can;t stop it, that is YOUR fault.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:50:32 PM by Lets_Talk »