Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 237522 times)

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #195 on: December 11, 2014, 09:45:10 AM »
Saw the USF coach on campus just before the rumor of Pelini started.....

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 11, 2014, 10:01:37 AM »

I'm pretty sure he's still the head coach at USF? Interesting.....

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 11, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »

He could be helping Wolf clean out his office.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #198 on: December 11, 2014, 11:12:23 AM »
I to have a hard time believing he is leaving so soon after taking the USF job. Maybe it was FAU? You could have seen Brian Wright.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 11, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »
I to have a hard time believing he is leaving so soon after taking the USF job. Maybe it was FAU? You could have seen Brian Wright.

Well, they are different skin color so pretty easy to figure out lol.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #200 on: December 11, 2014, 11:21:27 AM »
LOL good point. I might also point out that we were in the middle of negotiating a multi-game deal to play USF. I remember Strollo and Wolf talking about how important it was with the Big-10 dropping FCS games and the number of Florida players that we have on the team.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 11, 2014, 11:54:43 AM »
LOL good point. I might also point out that we were in the middle of negotiating a multi-game deal to play USF. I remember Strollo and Wolf talking about how important it was with the Big-10 dropping FCS games and the number of Florida players that we have on the team.

They are looking for an FCS opponent in 2019, but I doubt the coach would come up for that.  Maybe he is interviewing Wolf and his staff.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 11, 2014, 01:29:40 PM »
Everything is so quiet.... C'mon Strollo!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #203 on: December 11, 2014, 01:51:03 PM »
Personally, I would sit back and wait. This attention can only benefit us, with additional qualified candidates. The worst thing that we can do is start pushing others away because they will not be Bo Pelini. Our new coach (which you all should know by now is not Pelini [at least not Bo with Carl unlikely]) deserves our support at 110%.

As most of you regulars know. I was far from a coach Wolf fan. I felt his predecessor deserved a chance to show us his spread O ...then it was compounded with mass player losses. However, I still made every home game over the past 5-seasons ...along with a few away contests. I enjoyed a win over Pitt that I will never forget. So we need to do the same for whomever is next.

Hood is a quality guy, that knows this is a solid step-up for him. He wants this job; as do the other candidates. He comes well-recommended and has had good success at EKU. Wright is a quality guy that really knows how the game is played at YSU ...both on and off the field. Another great pick-up, both of which would probably allow us to keep some of our quality current staff.

kforbs126

« Reply #204 on: December 11, 2014, 01:56:48 PM »
I just don't get how anyone can say Hood is a quality candidate.  Sorry but his record proves he's an average coach in a below average division.  Sorry even the EKU fans want him gone. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 11, 2014, 02:01:46 PM »
I just don't get how anyone can say Hood is a quality candidate.  Sorry but his record proves he's an average coach in a below average division.  Sorry even the EKU fans want him gone.

Yep. Wouldn't like that move at all to be honest.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 11, 2014, 02:09:28 PM »
Chad Krispinsky @ChadK426  ·  1m 1 minute ago

Over the last hour, I'm detecting a growing sense of optimism in several connected circles that Bo Pelini could indeed be coming to YSU

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 11, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »
Hood is quality and so is Wright. Both have a record to prove it. Just for fun, you armchair coaches have to lay it on the line now --- what are YOUR outline for a successful coach to hire here ? Not your opinion, but games won, league titles, playoffs made, etc ?   Let see how delusional you really are.

And how stupid !  8)

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 11, 2014, 02:29:20 PM »
Hood is quality and so is Wright. Both have a record to prove it. Just for fun, you armchair coaches have to lay it on the line now --- what are YOUR outline for a successful coach to hire here ? Not your opinion, but games won, league titles, playoffs made, etc ?   Let see how delusional you really are.

And how stupid !  8)

I don't think anyone has exact figures...and if they do they are digging way to deep.  I certainly do not hope that there is any drop off in coaching or player personnel this year.  One way would have been to not have been so trigger happy on Wolf as it appears even those who were not his biggest fans may be hard pressed to find someone better at similar cost.  I look forward to supporting the 2015 TEAM (players and staff) no matter who shows up as coach a high profile Pelini or a lowly Paladin.

Z

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 11, 2014, 02:35:08 PM »
What makes Hood quality? Please explain. He had a worse record than Wolf percentage wise at EKU, made the playoffs 3 times out of a weaker FCS conference, and got bounced in the 1st round every single time. He was a DC at Wake Forest, where they won the ACC 1 year. Give him credit there because Wake Forest is a dormant program in the ACC. That doesn't make him a quality head coach.

Wright has been an assistant his whole career besides the 1 year at FAU where he was interim and play 4 horrible teams and went 4-0. He was here at YSU before.... Ok?

This is bigger than people realize. This hire needs to get the fan base excited. I don't know who else is a candidate. Could be somebody we haven't thought of yet. The fan base and excitement is dwindling here in Youngstown. Just the RUMOR of Bo Pelini coming here got people fired up and excited. Who's to say he can't stay here for 2 to 3 years, get this program back into the playoffs and a contender, and then find himself a nice NFL job or another big job in FBS. The program would be in better hands than it ever has been.